Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 21, 2019 4:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: eBay charging tax now?
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 4:43 pm 

I bought a radio from another state and got charged tax last week.
I bought a phonograph yesterday or I made an offer on it. They accepted my offer and when I went to check out the total had $18.00 sales tax. The seller said it was not him as he is in Cali.

This is getting crazy...

:evil: :roll:

Post subject: Re: eBay charging tax now?
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 4:58 pm 

You need to learn the tax States before buying, its common in other States also. :)

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:03 pm 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees- ... es?id=4121

eBay sales tax collection
Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following states:

New York

June 1, 2019

Please contact the Department of Taxation and Finance for further information

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:16 pm 

On used items? Soon as they do in my state, I'm done.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:23 pm 

n3uvt wrote:
You already pay 6% on used cars in your state.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 8:23 pm 

In January 2019 New York provided guidance that vendors who make more than $300,000 per year in gross revenue and make sales into New York in more than 100 separate transactions in the last 4 quarters have economic nexus,and thus must collect sales tax.

Small sellers are exempt - but eBay ain't a small seller....nor is Amazon or it's many FBA sellers.....

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 11:40 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
I bought a radio from another state and got charged tax last week.
I bought a phonograph yesterday or I made an offer on it. They accepted my offer and when I went to check out the total had $18.00 sales tax. The seller said it was not him as he is in Cali.
This is getting crazy...:evil: :roll:
Need to change shipping address to the cottage in New Hampshire :roll:

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:25 am 

I find that only the bigger sellers charge sales tax. It would be nice if Ebay showed you ahead of time that tax was going to be charged.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:28 am 

Yes.

14 US states will/are collecting sales tax on any online sale for new or used items at the moment, depending on their new state laws. The link by wiscojim shows the most current, with New York joining the ranks requiring state tax.

Since the South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc Supreme Court case fall-out in a 5-4 vote, it has been the wild west for state taxes.

Originally individual sellers/businesses everywhere were to magically determine and collect taxes for all states that enacted laws, and figure out where/how to send the taxes. For some sellers the only positive has been that large umbrella companies such as eBay, Amazon, etc. that they sell on has been collecting and submitting the tax.

Congress is suppose to set some federal laws in regards to it all, eventually, but who knows when and how far it will go.

Honestly I stopped my online website sales due to the whole matter as states join the list regularly, and besides possibly hiring an accountant and tax preparer for just me selling some pet goods, it is not worth getting into legal trouble from not following all 14 current state laws to a T.

Several sellers/businesses I bought from before the new year had a blow-out sale and quit selling to avoid the whole outcome, some simply quit selling right after the court case.

Sooner or later the whole matter will be finalized and streamlined, but until then buyers and sellers (including business owners) are taking a beating by their own state. Sadly some may not know about the whole matter until they get a letter, or worse, about their taxes owed.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:52 am 

Scott wrote:
I find that only the bigger sellers charge sales tax. It would be nice if Ebay showed you ahead of time that tax was going to be charged.

Not anymore. It's all sellers on ebay it seems. At least if you are in NY State.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:19 pm 

Yes its good to be in NH. "Live Free or Die"

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:33 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
n3uvt wrote:
You already pay 6% on used cars in your state.

We are talking Ebay for radios and parts, not used cars, no I wouldn't buy a used car from Ebay either.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:59 pm 

I went through my list of Saved Sellers on eBay the other day and a very large percentage no longer have any items for sale.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:26 pm 

If you click on the 'shipping' tab on a listing, it will show any if tax collected situations.
I have learned to do that (the hard way) before I click 'Buy'.
Dan

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:26 pm 

ThomasMBS wrote:
Yes.

Honestly I stopped my online website sales due to the whole matter as states join the list regularly, and besides possibly hiring an accountant and tax preparer for just me selling some pet goods, it is not worth getting into legal trouble from not following all 14 current state laws to a T.

Several sellers/businesses I bought from before the new year had a blow-out sale and quit selling to avoid the whole outcome, some simply quit selling right after the court case.

Sooner or later the whole matter will be finalized and streamlined, but until then buyers and sellers (including business owners) are taking a beating by their own state. Sadly some may not know about the whole matter until they get a letter, or worse, about their taxes owed.

??? If you kept up with things, you'd realize that most small (less than $200,000 gross sales) are EXEMPT from collecting any tax except their home state. No need to shut down any business. Even if you did make more than 200 grand a year, you could use a service like TaxCloud and others to collect and pay that sales tax.

Honestly, many of these threads would never occur if folks just kept up with happenings in regards to eBay and online sales - read the newsletters from eBay, read the policy updates, and do like I did years ago -subscribe (for free) to the eCommercebytes newsletter. Best free advice and info out there.....

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 3:06 pm 

Life's too short to...

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 6:26 pm 

Yarehobbiesso$ wrote:
If you click on the 'shipping' tab on a listing, it will show any if tax collected situations.
I have learned to do that (the hard way) before I click 'Buy'.
Dan

Oooh, Thank you... I did not know that..

Posting here is easier than searching the web for info sometimes.
I don't have much connection with the outside world and am not up to date with things so I probably should read the eBay letters but meh...

Egg... Too funny...

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 6:57 pm 

I've seen more and more of this with NY and CA lately. Not to start a political discussion, just stating a fact, after the new tax plans went into place, there was more pressure put on some of the high local tax areas of the country. NY and CA are some of the highest, so I think they are trying to secure other sources of tax income to feed the beast, assuming they may need to slow down on the high taxes in other areas. Just a thought anyway.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 8:10 pm 

California will tax you up to your eyeballs with whatever they can get away with. Just a fact of life, and I can live with it. Sales tax in L.A. County is about 9.75%.

AFA eBay or any internet sales, if the seller has a presence here, they have to collect state sales tax. Now whether they turn it over to the State Board of Equalization is another matter, lol.

I don't charge tax when I sell something on eBay, as I believe my meager annual sales volume is well below the tax collecting threshold. If they come after me, however, I'll simply pay the tax and any penalty. "Ain't no thing".

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:38 pm 

Agreed, I don't charge tax on ebay either, my sales are only a couple items every year. I think all states now require companies to charge tax online if they have a presence in the state they are shipping to... Ohio works that was as well.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next