Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: eBay charging tax now?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:41 pm 

Yarehobbiesso$ wrote:
If you click on the 'shipping' tab on a listing, it will show any if tax collected situations.
I have learned to do that (the hard way) before I click 'Buy'.
Dan

Thank you. I will be sure to do that. Am I correct that Ebay automatically collects the sales tax for those 14 States?

On Edit: I just looked at a couple of random listings and the shipping tab says "taxes may be applicable". From there you can click on a "see more" link that takes you to the NJ State website regarding taxes, but no definitive information as to whether they will be charged or not.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:29 pm 

Scott wrote:
Yarehobbiesso$ wrote:
If you click on the 'shipping' tab on a listing, it will show any if tax collected situations.
I have learned to do that (the hard way) before I click 'Buy'.
Dan

Thank you. I will be sure to do that. Am I correct that Ebay automatically collects the sales tax for those 14 States?

On Edit: I just looked at a couple of random listings and the shipping tab says "taxes may be applicable". From there you can click on a "see more" link that takes you to the NJ State website regarding taxes, but no definitive information as to whether they will be charged or not.

eBay leaves it up to the seller to determine sales tax collection:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees- ... s#section2

"Charging sales tax on eBay sales

If you're required to charge sales tax, you can set up a tax table and apply it to your listings. We'll then add the tax to the buyer's total at checkout. You're responsible for paying the sales tax to the appropriate authority.

Contact a tax professional to determine whether you need to charge sales tax on your eBay sales, or if you have questions about any other taxes. We can't provide tax advice or guarantee that our sales tax features meet all tax requirements."

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 5:11 pm 

As per eBay rep,
Sellers dont choose to add tax with the new policy. Sales tax from other states is added by eBay, Not the seller. I talked to the seller of this listing and he had no idea about the tax. He was surprised when I showed him the screen shot...

Does this mean people who buy from me are being charged tax?

This is going to affect sellers a lot...

Grrrrrrr....

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 6:23 pm 

Don't get angry at eBay, I think it's a NY thing where NY started hounding eBay and others to force sales tax.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 7:35 pm 

Of course they all know with big box retail going down hill, they are never going to let you slide without reaching in to your pocket one way or another.
Don't go to ebay or elsewhere online because of it?? Doesn't solve anything.. where ya goin... back to retail right?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 10:10 pm 

I am not mad at eBay for it. I know it is NY but eBay gets enough and are trying to get more still in other ways. Now NY is getting a cut too.
I think if I kept a ledger (which I should do anyway).. I would be sad at the amount I make vs the amount I am spending.

Oh and there is no way to see the tax on the shipping tab that I can see. I went back to the phonograph listing and there is no info on the tax. You have to checkout to see it. I just bought a Safari off eBay and the shipping tab showed no tax. I ended up paying $4.00 tax at checkout.

:(

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:16 am 

OldRestorer wrote:
As per eBay rep,
Sellers dont choose to add tax with the new policy. Sales tax from other states is added by eBay, Not the seller..

That is what I got by reading the above link. This is not going to be good for Ebay sales which have been flat already. I just wish there was a way to determine if tax is definitely being charged before I make a purchase.

Years ago, at the large antique radio swapmeet in MA, the State came in on a Sunday and told all the sellers that they had to collect and pay the State sales tax on their sales. Sales like this should be exempt IMHO. If I say what I think right now, I will break the forum rules....

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:36 am 

Just consider that you've been getting a free ride regarding having to pay sales tax, and now you will have to start paying. I wouldn't fight it, just roll with it. It was an advantage that on-line purchasing offered, that's apparently going away, but still no worse than buying at a B&M store in person.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:58 am 

OldRestorer wrote:
I think if I kept a ledger (which I should do anyway).. I would be sad at the amount I make vs the amount I am spending.

I know I don't have it as bad as you NY'ers but being in Ohio, I'm not far off. As you say, you add it all up and it's really sad:

federal income tax - up to 37%
sales tax - 7.5% for me (your mileage may vary)
property tax on your house - mine was $10,500 last year
property taxes on cars - this is in the form of tags for me - cost around $50 per car, which isn't too bad
state income tax - up to 5%
city income tax - 2.5%
school district income tax - my last house this was 2.25%, but this is included in my house property taxes currently
gas tax - about 40/gallon, so about 15%-20% tax there
Less obvious taxes: cell phone tax, land-line taxes, cable bill taxes, internet service taxes, electricity taxes, water taxes, sewage taxes...

When you really start to look, it's pretty scary!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 4:09 am 

OldRestorer wrote:
As per eBay rep,
Sellers dont choose to add tax with the new policy. Sales tax from other states is added by eBay, Not the seller. I talked to the seller of this listing and he had no idea about the tax. He was surprised when I showed him the screen shot...

Does this mean people who buy from me are being charged tax?

This is going to affect sellers a lot...

Grrrrrrr....

....and yet not a single eBay policy page stating eBay is the one deciding or adding the tax - just a rep. Sounds like they need to update things if they are gonna sing that tune.

Amazon FBA sellers are the ones collecting tax on their sales, not Amazon. Set up a table for each state, and enable. Amazon does charge tax on stuff Amazon sells directly, but FBAsellers set up their own taxing tables. Very similar to what eBay's stated policy is (at least what they have in print, on policy pages....)

It makes sense, as all but one state has a $200,000 threshold before a seller would be required to collect tax.

Then, there are some sellers using TaxJar or TaxCloud and their own checkout route, collecting tax on every applicable sale.

Yeah, a real soup sandwich.... :cry:

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 10:55 pm 

Today I purchased a $55 item from a seller who, looking at their feedback, sells items once in a blue moon. Sales tax was added so I am pretty sure that from now on everything I purchase from Ebay will have tax added. So 10% to ebay, 2.9% to Paypal, 6.625% to NJ, and sky high shipping prices. Not good moving forward.

I understand the negative impact on brick and mortar sellers from online sales, but most items I purchase online are used and just can't be had at a B&M store. I am of the opinion that if you are just selling some of your personal possessions, you should be exempt, but I have no hopes that that will ever change.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2