Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 14, 2019 10:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: If you like orante legged console radios...
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 10:40 pm 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Ornate-Co ... Sw6D9dArp4
Interesting custom set.

Post subject: Re: If you like orante legged console radios...
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 11:16 pm 

The cabinet is really amazing both in style and condition, anyone who likes that type of furniture would certainly appreciate it. Unfortunately the style is from a little bit earlier era and would have looked a lot more period correct if it had a late 20's up to very early 30's radio chassis in it. That slide rule dial and pushbuttons ruins it for me as far as looking realistically authentic.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:32 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
The cabinet is really amazing both in style and condition, anyone who likes that type of furniture would certainly appreciate it. Unfortunately the style is from a little bit earlier era and would have looked a lot more period correct if it had a late 20's up to very early 30's radio chassis in it. That slide rule dial and pushbuttons ruins it for me as far as looking realistically authentic.

Yes, likely it was updated in the '40's with a modern "up-to-date" chassis. Even a wealthy person who originally bought it was not going to put that cabinet at the curb!

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:43 am 

Dennis, looking at that closely I am inclined to believe that it indeed had a late 20s chassis in it when first made. At the peak of the stock market craziness in 1928-29 there were plenty of "paper millionaires" and plenty more who weren't quite in the seven digit range but who thought they were wealthier than God all the same. There were people who were buying way over the top one of a kind furniture like that because they thought the good times would keep rolling. Then came the reckoning, and rich men became poor men overnight. People held onto their stuff bought during the good times, since they lacked the ability to replace them. Radios were repaired again and again until they couldn't be repaired any more, then the innards were tossed out and a more up to date radio was installed. I've seen a couple other crazy ornate 20s radio cabinets online with late 30s Art Deco style radios stuffed in them, like this one. For more recent examples of this thinking in action, look at the 1957 Chevy Bel Air cars in Havana with Soviet engines shoehorned into them, or Argentines who endlessly repaired items bought "during the 1-to-1" meaning when the Argentine Peso was pegged to the US Dollar at an equal ratio during the later 90s after that country's 2001 economic collapse. I find it strange that the 2008 collapse in the US didn't create such a lasting change in the habits of Americans.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:23 pm 

Agree with you guys, I love the cabinet in it... not so much the radio. I already showed it to my wife and tried to convince her it would look great in the house, but she didn't go for it.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 10:53 pm 

This radio used to belong to me. I bought it from a guy in Chicago years ago days before he moved to Florida.

I too felt it was a retro fit from the 1920s. Imagine my shock when another known collect was at my home last year and he told me he had a collector friend in the Kentucky area with THE EXACT SAME RADIO ln the same ornate cabinet. He later sent me a photo to confirm his claim.

As a result I have to agree with Willie's claim in the sales ad he knows of at least 2 more of these. I suspect a radio company like Davega City or similar may have put together a run of these to sell using left over inventories purchased from Chicago radio companies.

Davega City ran ads in magazines into the 1940's selling off left over McMurdo Silver MP 6 and 15/17 sets for example.