Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe payment methods besides PayPal
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:13 pm 

Here is my little dilemma...
I am selling a Radiobar online. Buyer is in Cali and cant do cash on pick up.
I wont take PayPal on this one with $100.00 in fees so what are the safe ways to receive payment these days?

Thanks for any help.
Kirk

Post subject: Re: Safe payment methods besides PayPal
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:51 pm 

Dumb question, how are they getting the radio? I don't know that any method is truly safe short of cash in hand, but I have accepted postal money order before. The post office can usually cash them if they have that much on hand.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:57 pm 

Agreed, bank or postal money orders, or cashiers checks. You want certified funds, and have the bank teller review it to make sure that it's genuine, when you go to deposit it. To make extra extra sure, wait until it clears before sending the merchandise.

Or, they can wire the funds to your bank account. Maybe pay for, or split the wire fee; probably around $30-40.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:04 pm 

+1 to cashiers check or straight bank wire transfer.
I've bought and sold a couple cars cross country that way; third party shipper doesn't touch the cash. And, yes, your bank can verify that it's good and/or wait 'til it clears.
Dan

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:25 pm 

The good thing about a bank to bank transfer is that once the money is in your account, the buyer has no way to get it back. The negative for some may be having to give the buyer your bank account number.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:26 pm 

I thought paypal using the goods and services method of payment was very secure. Yes there are fees, but I thought that method was pretty safe.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:29 pm 

radios2100 wrote:
I thought paypal using the goods and services method of payment was very secure. Yes there are fees, but I thought that method was pretty safe.

He doesn't want to pay PP $100 in fees. Even a wire transfer is cheaper.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:33 pm 

Make the buyer pay the fees.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 12:36 am 

I have sent money with PayPal and click the family or friend option with no fees applied. The down side is the buyer has no recourse if something goes wrong as pay pal will not support a claim. I'm not 100% sure but worth checking.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 1:35 am 

radios2100 wrote:
Make the buyer pay the fees.

To insist (or even ask) that the buyer cover the fees for a transaction is expressly against PayPals TOS, and if the buyer complains you WILL have your account closed down in a hurry!

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 6:29 am 

radios2100 wrote:

SAFE ? For the buyer ONLY ! How could you call "safe" a payment method where during a 180 days period (6 months) they can take your money back for almost any reasons if the buyer feels dissatisfied with the item he bought. And if you're not a regular (high profile) eBay seller Paypal will consider it as a "high risk transaction" and put your money on hold (at their own discretion) for an indefinite period (usually 21 days, but could be up to 180). That's the way eBay/Paypal works, read their terms carefully (those you have signed and implicitely agreed when registered). For a seller of high priced items Paypal is the LEAST SAFE method for receiving your payment. In the view of the above, the fees they charge you is only a minor inconvenience.

The ONLY SAFE method is a bank transfer like previously explained in the post above:

... "The good thing about a bank to bank transfer is that once the money is in your account, the buyer has no way to get it back. The negative for some may be having to give the buyer your bank account number".

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 5:04 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
Here is my little dilemma...
I am selling a Radiobar online. Buyer is in Cali and cant do cash on pick up.
I wont take PayPal on this one with $100.00 in fees so what are the safe ways to receive payment these days?

Thanks for any help.
Kirk

Stay away from a sale with these restrictions. You'll sleep better. :)

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 5:36 pm 

Thanks all,
I don't like giving out my bank account info so I will see if a bank check is ok with him.
With all these scams today I am afraid to take anything other than PayPal... And thats only because I am used to them..

:(

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 3:51 am 

OldRestorer wrote:
Thanks all,
I don't like giving out my bank account info so I will see if a bank check is ok with him.
With all these scams today I am afraid to take anything other than PayPal... And thats only because I am used to them..:(

Is it a direct (private) sale,or through eBay ? If you sold it through eBay the risk of being scammed is MUCH higher than providing your bank account# for a transfer. eBay's abusive seller-protection scheme is a door wide-open for scammers. Remember if the buyer could find the slightest defect or imperfection not clearly mentioned in your description he can fill a claim against you for a period of 180 days and ask for a full refund, which will undoubtedly be granted to him since eBay (which are no experts) sides with the buyers in 95% of such cases. Then you might (or not) get your item back in an unknow condition, and don't expect any help or assistance from eBay if something goes wrong once the buyer has been refunded. And btw, you will be also charged for the shipping costs (both ways).

You should be aware that any funds sent through Paypal is not yours but theirs: they can delay or put an hold on it (usually for "security" reasons), or revert it (take it back) for a multitude of reasons at their own discretion. Paypal being not a Bank has the freedom (and the rights) to act this way since you have accepted all their terms by signing your registration.

Would you take the risk ? Personally I wouldn't for any sale over 200$ and it's the main reason I completely stopped selling on eBay since they imposed their unilateral Paypal-Only/Buyer's Allways Right policies.
And if you think this can't happen in real, check the many testimonies and horror stories on the web (there's even a dedicated website about Paypal/eBay abuses).

Now, it's up to you to decide...

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:11 pm 

It is an eBay transaction

Funny,
I told him that I would take bank payments and he said it was too much work.
I guess when I told him he had to wait for everything to clear he decided the scam would not work...

Or he just changed his mind..

:roll:

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:15 pm 

I know personally I gotta want something really bad to deal with the hassle of doing a wire transfer.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:16 pm 

Good, ya froze the bastard out.

No hassle in doing a wire transfer; the bank does all the work, you just fill out a form or two.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:22 pm 

The only form of check I would take is Postal Money order. Its too easy to counterfiet a cashiers check and if they fake a Postal Money Order Uncle Sam will go after them. The other check forms you could get screwed if its fake.

If he doesnt want to pay the way you suggested its possible he was gonna scam you via paypal. I would never risk that much money thru paypal.

Ive been told on here that even the friends and family, gift paypal payment you can lose the money. If they pay paypal with a fraudulant account the amount gets cancelled and your out the money... I have never had that happen though, just something a member here explained once.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:51 pm 

I've also heard that paypal can be risky, but so can meeting someone and exchanging cash. They may rob you on the spot knowing you got cash, or knowing you are now holding their cash. Or follow you back to your home and break in to take back the cash and more. I really value the ease of use with paypal and I haven't been screwed yet with it.

One thing you could do if you prefer paypal is setup an online bank account somewhere. Once you receive money to it via paypal, transfer that money out immediately to your primary bank account. Done. Oh and don't forget to tell them you do not want to allow overdraft, to instead block the transaction if there isn't enough money in the account. All banks support this, even online ones.

Paypal gets their power to screw people by having access to your bank account. They can't forcefully take money from your credit card, you can easily dispute that and they lose. This is why Paypal requires a bank account attached. So simply use a side account that doesn't have any more money than what you want in it.

I recently signed up for an online bank account and savings account in order to gain the high interest they provide. Could not have been easier. You can open as many as you want.