Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Good til Cancelled
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:34 pm 

For a long time I had tried to get my fixed price listings on eBay changed to Good 'til Cancelled, mainly to avoid having to manually relist items that didn't sell. Finally, it seemed to happen all by itself. Good, right?

Wrong. Since it went to Good 'til Cancelled my sales have dropped off. I had thought it was a seasonal thing, but others (especially on Youtube) have said the same thing. These are sellers who stay on top of their monthly sales and have all the figures to prove their claims. So, I went to my listings and tried to change to a 10 day duration; it appeared to work but when I checked all listings were still Good 'til Cancelled. Called eBay and they changed their policy in March: all fixed price listings are now Good 'til Cancelled, whether we like it or not.

The only way to have 3, 7, 10 or 30 day listings is to have an Auction type sales. So, it would appear that eBay is trying to force sellers into Auctions only.

Has anyone else seen a drop in sales?

Post subject: Re: Good til Cancelled
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:57 pm 

I would think that most items will sell quickly if their priced right regardless of the sales format. Granted, posting items up for auction with the "Good 'til Cancelled" stipulation does take away a little bit of the old traditional buying pressure.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:53 pm 

What is the advantage of having a limited time fixed price sale over a good until cancelled fixed price sale? It seems like a longer sale would reach a larger audience.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:13 pm 

startgroove wrote:
What is the advantage of having a limited time fixed price sale over a good until cancelled fixed price sale? It seems like a longer sale would reach a larger audience.

Watchers - they'd get an email from eBay that a fixed priced listing they were watching was ending soon. Some watch to see if it is still available when they get paid, and having a fixed price enables them to budget for the item.

For the seller, it enables the "going, going, gone" with a fixed price listing - pressure on those buyers "sitting on the fence."

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:52 pm 

Another advantage to starting a listing new every 7, 10, 30 days is that it will refresh and show up closer to the top of searches.
I, too, wonder how buried some listings will get if they're never renewed - run until cancelled.
Dan

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 6:51 pm 

I like the fixed price, means I can buy it right away.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 9:32 pm 

Since this started sales have dropped like a rock...even when I cancel and relist....Oh well.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:55 pm 

Keep in mind that it wasnt done to make sellers more money, it was done to make ebay more money. More listing fees if you have more listings than free listings available for one. It does help in some ways, google search being one of them, with the item number never changing. Less time relisting items is another.

I cant say whether its helped or hurt me but I think likely about the same. I sell mostly used repair parts, things that people actually need, and some collectibles, industrial stuff, gun parts if I can find them. Rarely more than 5 or 10 of the same things on ebay. Often the only ones. No clothes or frilly items, rarely new stuff. That is likely why it has stayed about the same as little competition.

May June July August are tough months in many categories. It might get better in the fall.

I try to ignore bad sales and it can be hard to do. I just keep listing cuz I know when it turns around I will sell them. That is probably the best advice I can give anyone.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 2:36 am 

I relist everything that's been up for sale for a while on a regular basis to keep them from getting buried and forgotten. Seems almost every time I relist I end up selling some of them.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 3:44 am 

I can explain what's happening. Ebay is trying to increase the visibility of all listings by never allowing the item number to change, thus making it easier to find through google search results. But like one of the above posts stated, this is good for ebay, but not necessarily all sellers.
Because your item numbers never change, they drop further down each month because they never show up anymore as "new listings."

In categories that are not crowded, or with items which are highly desirable, or alternately high value/ rare items, this will not affect you much.
But if you are selling more common items or you are competing with dozens or hundreds of other similar listings, this will hurt your items visbility
long term.

What can you do about it?

One strategy employed by some high volume sellers is to kill all of your listings every 7 to 10 days and relist. Yes, it may incur some fees.
Watch the below video to see how this impacted one high volume seller. (My son told me about all this and showed me the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUwEd0FiJY

PS: He solved his problem by ending and relisting everything more frequently.

One alternate strategy is to use the "Promoted listings" feature, but never above the 1% rate.
Some other high volume sellers say this has helped them as well. Of course, you will incur a fee, but only if the item sells.
For many items the fee is verly low, the "%" is actually referring to how often the ad pops up while others are looking at things on Ebay.
Ebay has done a horrific job of rolling this all out and explaining why they did what they did. Of course, they may not really care either.
I heard somewhere that the reason this was all done was because Ebay's overall sales had dropped, as in total sales on the whole site.
I did not do any further research to confirm that.

I hope this helps, and frankly it will probably cause more questions than anything. I would advise doing a little searching online and see if someone out there can explain this even better.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 7:59 pm 

The video was interesting. I'm not sure how much of it applies to me. I tend to sell vintage electronics that people would specifically be searching for. For example, right now I have a 412A tube, languishing on BIN. If I search just 412A tube, it comes up as the second listing. No need to mention DeForest or globe. I'm just hoping someone needs it some day. I've got nothing in it. So for me, when something (that I think is a good price) doesn't sell in a seven day auction, it goes to BIN for 30 days. When it automatically re-lists in 30 days, I may lower the price a bit.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 3:16 am 

oldradiogeorge wrote:

One strategy employed by some high volume sellers is to kill all of your listings every 7 to 10 days and relist. Yes, it may incur some fees.
Watch the below video to see how this impacted one high volume seller. (My son told me about all this and showed me the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUwEd0FiJY

That was real interesting. Its had me thinking off and on all day about it. The 7-10-30 day thing, he really had/has to keep on top of it to move his items. I cant even imagine selling things that there are a thousand of the same thing on ebay. I also cant imagine dumping stuff cheap after 30 days.

Still, most the money made on ebay is from sellers like him so I have faith in his methods. I wish I had his money problems, lol thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 4:56 pm 

Just got a notice from Etsy - they're going to auto renewal on all new listings as of today (6/25). At 20 cents for a four month listing, it's not the renewal/relisting fees they're after. Must be something these sites have figured out that I don't see.
Dan