Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 25, 2020 8:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Or make offer/ follow up
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 5:35 pm 

When I've wanted, say, a certain radio part that is $10 free shipping, Or Make Offer, I've offered $8 to see it declined. So then I offer $9 and it's declined. Then I offer $9.50 and it's accepted. Seems like a waste of time, but they do say Or Make Offer. Anyway, on to me. I put a non-radio item on eBay for a 7 day auction starting at $150 with an Or Make Offer. I did this because I didn't really think it would bring $150. Lo and behold, today I see that there's an offer of $185.00 I wasn't expecting that. So the offer can be MORE. Hmmm. I'm giving this away :lol:

Last edited by DKinYORKpa on Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Or make offer
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 10:46 pm 

I'm guessing the $185.00 was offered because...

1. The buyer was either afraid or convinced that it might even go higher if left to open bidding.

2. The buyer was in a really really big rush to get it.

3. The buyer just didn't wan't to deal with the waiting and anxiety of 7 days of open bidding only to be outbid at the last minuet.

4. The bidder was afraid that someone else might offer a high counter offer and get the item.

5. The auction could have been scheduled to end at a time when the buyer wouldn't have been able to bid on it or snipe it.

Offering the "Make Offer" option is a really good way to play on peoples anxieties and fears so that they might react or overreact in your favor. In other words, it's simply good old fashioned PRESSURE.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 11:04 pm 

The 'make an offer' on an auction style listing is relatively new. Unlike a fixed price, where you KNOW how much you can buy it for, but you want to try for a little less (or 75% less, as some people have tried with me!), on an auction style, the buyer sees what he MIGHT get it for in seven days, but is willing to pay more to get it NOW, so he will almost always send an offer of more than your minimum asking price, to hopefully hit your sweet spot.
I haven't tried that option yet - I may this winter when I have more computer time. Glad it worked in your favor!
Dan

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:52 am 

I had the same happen as well $30 more. I just thought they made a mistake. Although I didnt tell them that.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 1:35 am 

I have used that option as a buyer..

I had been watching an item with a high buy it now, and it expired with no takers. It was relisted as an auction with a much lower figure, and a make an offer option. I offered over the minimum bid, and it was accepted. I got it for much less than the original asking price, but at what I considered a fair value. They were happy to have it over I suspect as well.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 11:59 am 

In retrospect, I really should not have done it that way. because now I don't know what it may have sold for! Here is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1816-Manheim-L ... 7675.l2557

After working in a museum for 33 years, I had some idea of its value. I had $35 in it and the offer of $185 is great. (note that it says the price was $150 and best offer accepted). A little research on the buyer tells me that he is a seller of rare books. While I couldn't find a website, his name kept popping up as the seller to several university libraries, archives and historical societies. When I mentioned this item to a colleague where I just retired from, I was scolded for not offering it to the museum in that town. So I did call up their archivist to alert them to this ledger. But they would have had to act quickly (8 hours) because I accepted the best offer that night. I guess that he'll now be contacting them!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:08 pm 

DKinYORKpa wrote:
I was scolded for not offering it to the museum in that town.

We all like to make a buck but I have to agree with your friend, you should have offered it to the museum. I think that would have been the most virtuous and honorable thing to do.

Post subject: Re: Or make offer/ follow up
PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:17 pm 

Quote:
I think that would have been the most virtuous and honorable thing to do.

I can't argue with that.