Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 12:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sparton’s, Numerous Noctourne! Strat too.
PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2020 5:07 pm 

Hi Folks,

I have completed the prices of the Thursday and Friday offerings... I have put a PDF at

http://oldradios.com/ARFpics/auctionPrices.pdf

Since the file has been updated, be sure to reload it in your browser so that you have the latest version (30+ pages)

I have Steve's information in Blue, and Dan's is in black..
I have included the addendum pages at the end as pictures of Dan's data.
Other than the Scott prices provided by member tasar earlier, I do not have any Saturday data.
I got a bit lazy and did not keep the first column up. If there was a discrepancy, I put both prices in.
Comments and suggestions welcome (pm?)

Enjoy :)

PostPosted: Mar Sun 29, 2020 12:49 pm 

I do appreciate your efforts George!

Thank you so much!

I see that Stantons posted a sale list of prices too. They include the 10% buyers premium.

http://static.auctionservices.com/docum ... SPList.pdf

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 30, 2020 3:05 am 

I wouldn't worry about "some" placing a lower value on the restored radios in his collection. Many like myself like the look of a restored radio.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 30, 2020 7:11 am 

Agreed, these prices shown the current market. For every person who wants an old finish, there is another who wants items to look like they did when new.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 30, 2020 8:44 pm 

In going through the bids, the one thing that surprised me was the number of high bids on phonograph items.. I had no idea...

PostPosted: Mar Tue 31, 2020 12:14 am 

Ive heard that Stantons is well known to have phonograph auctions.

I suppose like Estes was to the radio community?

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 31, 2020 12:40 pm 

I could tell early in the auction that the phonograph people had a much deeper understanding as to the values of phonographs than did I. For example, things would be going at high prices and then up came an Edison Diamond Disk, Laboratory Model. The name sounds pretty fancy and the player was well restored. I have one, so I wanted to see what it would bring. Well, the bidding died off. When I bought this one, it just fell in my lap, so to speak. I wasn’t looking for it. I guess there are lots of them available. Anyway, the point is, they knew values and weren’t just high bidding.

Ed

PostPosted: Mar Tue 31, 2020 2:26 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Agreed, these prices shown the current market. For every person who wants an old finish, there is another who wants items to look like they did when new.

Very true, further, for every original finish purist, there’s the antique, fine furniture, art, novelty, and audio types. Let’s see, when selling, there’s a 1 in 5 chance there’s that ad nauseam crowing “original” buyer. Nothing wrong here, subjective. “Presentable” wins, the rest is all in your head !

PostPosted: May Fri 15, 2020 8:32 pm 

Fairly new to this forum and I just found this thread. I was fortunate enough to be a the auction all three days. It was MOST interesting. I wish I knew who some of you were!

I too, blew my budget. I play mostly with Philco's and EH Scott's. When the Zenith 15U270 came up, I figured I needed a shutter dial Zenith so I bought it for what I thought was a reasonable price. I've just started restoring the chassis. Most of the caps have been replaced with a hodgepodge of disc, tubular, and some I don't even recognize. I wish I had the originals to re-stuff. I hate the looks all the yellow film caps. Many resistors have been changed as well as the E-lytics. It was a poor restoration to say the least.

I also came home with the Zenith chair side, several cathedrals and the 2 EH Scott Philharmonics. The BOL Wellington had been partially restored but did not work well. it is now working great. The Gothic Pointer dial is in working condition, though I will go through it again as the alignment is way off.

I will be searching through the forum for info on the 15U270 as I would like to find a photo of the underside of an unmolested chassis. I will be needing a couple of filter cans and a tube socket. One of the rectifier sockets has a broken pin that had shorted out. Hopefully it didn't take the PT with it. Looking forward to help from some of you Zenith experts!!

PostPosted: May Sat 16, 2020 9:51 pm 

rfeenstra wrote:
Fairly new to this forum and I just found this thread. I was fortunate enough to be a the auction all three days. It was MOST interesting. I wish I knew who some of you were!

I too, blew my budget. I play mostly with Philco's and EH Scott's. When the Zenith 15U270 came up, I figured I needed a shutter dial Zenith so I bought it for what I thought was a reasonable price. I've just started restoring the chassis. Most of the caps have been replaced with a hodgepodge of disc, tubular, and some I don't even recognize. I wish I had the originals to re-stuff. I hate the looks all the yellow film caps. Many resistors have been changed as well as the E-lytics. It was a poor restoration to say the least.

I also came home with the Zenith chair side, several cathedrals and the 2 EH Scott Philharmonics. The BOL Wellington had been partially restored but did not work well. it is now working great. The Gothic Pointer dial is in working condition, though I will go through it again as the alignment is way off.

I will be searching through the forum for info on the 15U270 as I would like to find a photo of the underside of an unmolested chassis. I will be needing a couple of filter cans and a tube socket. One of the rectifier sockets has a broken pin that had shorted out. Hopefully it didn't take the PT with it. Looking forward to help from some of you Zenith experts!!

Welcome to the Family, you will find plenty of knowledge here. Sounds like you dropped enough to buy a car lol!

Again welcome!

PostPosted: May Sat 16, 2020 10:46 pm 

rfeenstra wrote:
Zenith 15U270 .... Most of the caps have been replaced with a hodgepodge of disc, tubular, and some I don't even recognize. I wish I had the originals to re-stuff. !!
This "restuffing" is not popular in California. Before you tear it apart, check, as it may work well and be properly aligned.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 91 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5