Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 12:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters SX-88 on Detroit metro Craigslist
PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 4:34 am 

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/ ... 15250.html

Question, is this actually a reasonable deal for this set? My brain is telling me that this is waay over priced, but I don't really know much about boat anchor sets, it's something I've always kinda wanted to get into, but I know they can get a little pricy. I've always wanted a hallicrafters SX-28, as I think that's the most beautiful set I've ever seen, but back to the ad, I feel like this is what American pickers and pawn stars has done to the antique market, everything is waay over inflated and everyone wants "big money" for things that otherwise would've sold for $50-100 dollars ten years ago. That's just my opinion but I've seen this listed for a while, so something tells me this isn't a good deal, maybe I'm wrong, but someone could buy a car for that kind of money. And without the speaker or even the case the price seems a little high to me, am I wrong?!
-John

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters SX-88 on Detroit metro Craigslist
PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 11:26 am 

In the past I would have said it's not overpriced but in today's market it could be. The seller states it's a one owner and if still completely original that would be a plus. The original capacitors, however, are the infamous Sprague "black beauties" which after all these years will be very leaky and will all have to be replaced to restore proper working order. Also, the 2nd Converter Deck will have to be removed in order to gain access to the capacitors in there and that job is a little on the difficult side. I see it also has an IF transformer on the back corner with a broken mount. You'll have to hope the coil form inside is not damaged and can be repaired. The missing cabinet is kind of a biggie as it is specific to the SX-88 and resale value will be diminished without one. It could be an interesting project though and SX-88s are superb band cruisers when properly restored.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 12:24 pm 

It might as well have been owner #8 or 9 or 10 in that sorry condition.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 2:28 pm 

While most boat anchors beg for a buyer at $100, the SX-88 is an uncommon and desirable model that collectors will pay significantly more for.

Like Greg said, there was a day when a nice-condition SX-88 might have fetched that price but those days are probably gone, and that example isn't in good enough condition to support that price to begin with.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 3:02 pm 

Looks like a quality made receiver.

Was there another Hallicrafters which looks like the SX-88 but of lesser quality?
A ham friend of mine talked about his Hallicrafters (which looked like this model) which would jump 10KC everytime someone closed the door on the other side of the wall.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 4:01 pm 

I suppose the most distinguishing physical feature of the 20-tube SX-88 is the two half-round dials. I don't think any other model had the same control (knob) layout, but if you're just looking at the 2 half-round dials, there were:

S-85 (8 tubes)
    S-86 (8 tubes)
    SX-96 (12 tubes)
    SX-99 (8 tubes)
    SX-100 (16 tubes)

The SX-99 seems like a fairly common model, and I've gotten it confused with the SX-88 a couple times. I'm guessing that's what your friend had.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 4:15 pm 

Sounds about right. SX-99.

He didn't have much good to say about it, but it was his first amateur radio receiver.

My first rig was the Heathkit HW-16 which wasn't bad for a CW only Novice transceiver.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2020 8:27 pm 

Hallicrafters was famous for trying to offer the most bang for the buck and if you look at their advertising they had something for almost every budget. Of course you couldn't expect much from most of their lower priced models but they made a few that could compete with some of the best from their competition. They must have done something right because they were around for a long time and sold tons of equipment over the years. The SX-88 was their top of the line model for 1954 featuring dual conversion, six bands, 20 tubes and a superbly engineered sophisticated step switch selectivity without the usual crystal filter most competing models offered. In addition it featured a very smooth all gear driven reduction tuning system riding on ball bearings and it was the first commercially produced communications receiver to have an SSB function marked on its front panel. It also incorporated a very effective step switched selective audio filter and a pair of push pull 6V6's for about 10 watts of outstanding audio. The receiver was only in production for one year because it was too expensive to build and sell profitably which resulted in a little over 100 known to exist.

It may be interesting to note Mark Olson; KE9PQ had a very nice Hallicrafters SX-88 listed on his Nationwide Radio website and it just recently sold for $5000.00!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 7:26 pm 

The CL listing has expired. Does anyone recall the asking price?

The SX-88 is a nice receiver, indeed: https://antiqueradio.org/halli09.htm .

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 4:23 am 

I know the seller. He used to be a member of MARC and he got it from an estate. He is not a ham, but a smart tech mostly into audio stuff. He is fishing for a strong price in todays world.

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2020 7:01 am 

philsoldradios wrote:
The CL listing has expired. Does anyone recall the asking price?

The SX-88 is a nice receiver, indeed: https://antiqueradio.org/halli09.htm .

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

Phil, are you going to post any more projects on your site?!? I used to browse your site all the time as a kid when I was learning about the hobby! I'm 21 now, and I can honestly say thank you for getting me interested in tube equipment and teaching me how to work on old sets!

PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2020 6:06 pm 

Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you enjoy the website. Yes, I have been working on new projects, but fallen behind in writing new articles about them. My latest project is a GE 810 TV -- the TV is finished and it works fine, but I can't post the article until I do a final photo shoot showing it in operation. Maybe this weekend I can get it done.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2020 6:14 pm 

philsoldradios wrote:
Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you enjoy the website. Yes, I have been working on new projects, but fallen behind in writing new articles about them. My latest project is a GE 810 TV -- the TV is finished and it works fine, but I can't post the article until I do a final photo shoot showing it in operation. Maybe this weekend I can get it done.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

I look forward to seeing your latest project.

PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2020 7:59 pm 

I will second that! Phil's write-ups are very inspiring to say the least. I am now in the hunt for a CT-100 because of that, Thanks Phil!!

Greg
WA1KBQ

PostPosted: May Sat 02, 2020 11:03 pm 

philsoldradios wrote:

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

I, too, enjoy Phil's write-ups. I swear, they actually have a plot, and I always learn something.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2020 5:28 am 

Joe Connor wrote:
philsoldradios wrote:

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

I, too, enjoy Phil's write-ups. I swear, they actually have a plot, and I always learn something.

Agreed!! +1 I always learn something from reading write ups in general! Even if I don't have that specific piece of equipment that someone is writing on and working on, I can learn helpful tips or tricks that I can use in the future on my own projects! While I am only 21, I feel that there is A LOT to learn from the older generation!! It is best to share information with others, so it gets passed on to the next generation! That's why I'm a major history buff and enjoy learning about history in general and that's what got me into vintage electronics in the first place! We don't want the hobby of restoring antique radios to be lost forever, At least I don't.. also what I like about Phil's site the most, is he always uses the best methods possible and makes note of them as well, so others can learn and hone in their own skills as well! To Phil, thank you very much sir!

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 12:17 am 

OK, no more excuses. I finally posted the GE 810 TV article:

https://antiqueradio.org/GE810Television.htm

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

P.S. Never did find out the asking price for that SX-88. (Obligatory on-topic content.)