Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 10, 2020 8:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Weird Tube Radio...
PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2020 10:53 pm 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-30s-Ca ... SwWapemc7-
I found a cardboard tube radio. It doesn't seem to fit the radio very well, it looks like it could be electrically restored. However, the cabinet? I don't know... :) There is something written on it.
"FT Amplifier GAPX March 1947"
The cord looks like it was unprofessionally put on.

Post subject: Re: Another Weird Tube Radio...
PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2020 11:13 pm 

That is definitely an Emerson.

That cabinet will take a lot of work.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Apr Sun 26, 2020 1:05 am 

I recall seeing other "carboard" radios. In the day it was probably fairly sturdy. Likely it had a wood-like finish that got bad and someone painted it white.
The bidder is likely going to try to press and glue it back to shape. I'd sooner pass!

PostPosted: Apr Sun 26, 2020 1:18 am 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
There is something written on it. "FT Amplifier GAPX March 1947"

Actually it says "Ft. McPherson, GA. PX March 1942" Bought by an army soldier at the PX while he was stationed at Fort McPherson?

I'd have to agree with decojoe67 and oldradio99-it will take lots of pressing, lots of glue, and quite a bit of work.

Dan Fox

Last edited by oldradiofox on May Tue 26, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 26, 2020 3:00 am 

It would be a lot of fun to make a video, "Found it at the Thrift Store", with a fake sound track, pilot light powered by a wall wart.
Put aside any parts you think are worth keeping like the chassis, but tape the dial in with the light so it looks good.
You say you've plugged it in and are going to try it, click the knob, buddy plugs in the light, then you pretend to tune in a station, the
volume comes up, Jose Feliciano, Light My Fire, the instrumental sounds really good, then you tune to Jim Morrison and the Doors,
louder and faster, Come on Baby and there's smoke coming out of the back. A candle is heating a baggy with some lighter fluid in it.
The sound track starts to change to another station, now it's The Crazy World of Arthur Brown doing, "Fire".
You've sprinkled a bit of lighter fluid inside the cabinet so flames shoot out from under the dial cover and out the speaker grill.

About this time you could be trying to put the fire out with a towel, fanning the flames a bit and slapping at it. Hit the knobs and another
song comes on, Michael Murphey singing "She'll be ridin Wildfire..." Emerson engulfed in flames.. Oh boy , that was fun. 8)

Emerson DB-327 is similar but has a curved dome top, probably because this flatop version develops a sag in it.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 26, 2020 4:03 am 

30305 was the Zip code where my parents lived. Paces Ferry Road is the road the governor's mansion is located on.

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2020 1:54 am 

I don't know why; but, I ended up buying this radio and fixed the chassis with parts from the junk box. Here's the video I made on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgE19ZuKKWE&t=1142s

I might one day work on the cabinet; but, for now, it will go on the shelf with some other ugly/challenged radios. For a cheap 5-tube chassis, it works well.

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2020 2:21 am 

Right, I think the white paint helped preserve the cabinet.
If you fix the cabinet, good luck, it will be just another cheap AA5. I think this cabinet has more value left as is.
I was just kidding about setting it on fire. :lol:

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2020 2:36 am 

That chassis is from the Emerson DB301 which was made in the few years just before the US got into the war. The 301 usually had a bakelite cabinet.
I have a 301 awaiting restoration, official sources say 1939, mine has a handle on top that is spring loaded so it retracts when the handle is released.
I'm thinking that Emerson may have wound up stuck with a bunch of 301 chassis when Pearl Harbor was bombed and most radio sales were halted.
GM was allowed to put surplus car radios in wooden console cabinets. Emerson may have tried making cardboard cabinets for 301 chassis in early 1942.
I can easily see something like this collecting dust in a PX until some GI got a really good deal on it. I know that when the ban on new car sales was lifted
after V-J that car dealers rushed to unload "new" 1942 models that had been stuck on lots for years, with sales forbidden. (Wikipedia says that 500k 1942
cars were stuck on lots!) My own grandparents bought a "new" 42 Fleetline in early 46 after my dad was born and they needed a sedan.

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2020 3:31 am 

Actually Emerson built two slightly different Cardboard Cabinet radios. And yes we have one of each. Below is a
picture of one of them. I can't find the picture of the second one. One flat on top like this one that was in the
auction the other like the picture below. It is rather amazing that they survived the ages. And yes on our
website you will find our "Emerson Page" Jean's collection of over 100 Emerson radios the majority of them are
Ingraham cabinets.
John k9uwa

Emerson Collection. http://johnjeanantiqueradio.com/emerson.html

PostPosted: May Mon 25, 2020 10:55 pm 

I have one like that, in very good condition; it does have the DB chassis. Somehow, it survived 80 years with no damage to the fragile cabinet, except a few scuffs; a little touching up with a brown Sharpie took care of that. I found it at a swap meet about 10 years ago, and have never seen another one.

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 2:37 am 

radiotvnut wrote:
I don't know why; but, I ended up buying this radio and fixed the chassis with parts from the junk box.

I would have passed that one by after seeing the condition of the cabinet. Hopefully you can get it looking good again. You've gained a new subscriber, too!

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 3:50 am 

Kinda looks like a radio from the Flintstones. Few more bends in the cabinet and would fit right in. See if it has rocks for the vacuum tubes. :mrgreen:
It would be a real challenge to restore the cabinet.

Attachments:
rsz_s-l1600.jpg
rsz_s-l1600.jpg [ 239.7 KiB | Viewed 735 times ]

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 11:59 pm 

Seems to me, the top of the cabinet could be brought back into shape by building and inserting a wooden frame to push it back into shape, then applying steam from an iron, then letting it dry. Any thoughts?

Dan Fox

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 4:33 am 

Here's an all original cardboard survivor in factory red (not painted), picked it up a few years ago:

Attachments:
IMG_6372.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg [ 64.27 KiB | Viewed 600 times ]
IMG_6374.jpg
IMG_6374.jpg [ 37.55 KiB | Viewed 600 times ]

PostPosted: May Thu 28, 2020 5:28 am 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
Kinda looks like a radio from the Flintstones. Few more bends in the cabinet and would fit right in.
See if it has rocks for the vacuum tubes.
It would be a real challenge to restore the cabinet.

It reminds me of a cartoon I saw in Radio Craft magazine. A spiffy gal has brought her radio back to the shop, looks just like that,
all distorted and bent out of shape, and she says to the radio guy "I think the dial string is too tight." :lol: