Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 11:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grunow Model 580 on Craigslist
PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 4:27 am 

This isn't mine, and I have no affiliation. I just thought this Grunow Model 850 was neat. The seller states it needs a new power cord (at the very least), and it looks like it would benefit from a refinish, too. What do y'all think?

Edit: link to ad made more ovbious.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/ ... 33297.html

Last edited by Dan's Radio Room on May Sun 17, 2020 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Grunow Model 580 on Craigslist
PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 4:42 am 

I think a link would be nice.

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 4:52 am 

I made the link more obvious.

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 5:44 am 

I have noticed that radio, and the seller is about 1 1/2 miles from me, so I am tempted. I have nowhere to put another large radio, and my wood refinishing skills are nearly non-existent, so I will probably pass on it. The sooner someone else buys it, the sooner I will be able to stop considering it.

Being that the inside looks uncommonly clean, I would expect it to be a relatively easy electronic restoration project. The cabinet doesn't appear to have any major damage, like chunks of veneer missing or separated, so it will probably be reasonably easy to refinish. If I had where to put it, I would most probably buy it.

Larry

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 8:57 am 

If I was closer, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a donut. I don't think that cabinet NEEDS a refinish, it just looks dirty and dry. Clean chassis, nice original grille cloth, dial intact, all it's knobs....a no brainer. Give it a dose of "the treatment". A good cleaning with GoJo, an application of Howard's, followed by a good waxing. It'll be beautiful.

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 6:35 pm 

I need to have my head examined. I drove the two miles or so out to the seller's house and brought back the Grunow 580. The cabinet is rather scratchy in places on the top. I need to learn more about how to make wood look good beyond Restor-A-Finish. This radio is rather large. The seller told me that it had belonged to his grandfather who last played it many decades ago, but he didn't think that anything had been done to it since.

Larry

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 7:30 pm 

LarryInMichigan wrote:
The cabinet is rather scratchy in places on the top. I need to learn more about how to make wood look good beyond Restor-A-Finish. This radio is rather large.

Larry

I think you made a nice buy. IMHO, some show of age is expected. Everybody has their own tastes - some like a certain amount of patina - showing it's age, use, and one time importance in the household - some scratches and blemishes are perfectly acceptable, while others want them to look like they just came from the factory. I'm in the former group. If it can be satisfactorily lessened with Howard's, I'm good. I don't do refinishing or major wood/veneer work, I don't have the time, place, or patience for it.

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 8:11 pm 

I also think you did well. Had it remained on Craigslist past the middle of the week, I'd have been tempted, never mind that I have rambunctious cats and little extra space!

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2020 11:02 pm 

Dan's Radio Room wrote:
I also think you did well. Had it remained on Craigslist past the middle of the week, I'd have been tempted, never mind that I have rambunctious cats and little extra space!

I thought that perhaps you had. When I went to get the radio, the seller told me that he had just been contacted by someone local inquiring about the radio, but I was already on the way. He also said that someone else had asked if he would ship the radio to Minnesota (I think it was), but he didn't really want to pack and ship such a large and breakable item. So far, I pulled the tubes and tested them. The 42 was weak, and the 6A7 was just about dead. Fortunately, I had replacements for both of those in my small spare tube collection. I will probably order capacitors. This radio needs some fairly low value high voltage filter capacitors, and about all I have at the right voltage is 47μF. I did notice that someone had removed the speaker wire connectors and just hard-wired the wires from the speaker and chassis together (with no connector). I don't know why they did that, and I hope that no other changes were made other than replacing tubes. I am going to have to carefully remove the speaker at the same time as the chassis unless I disconnect all five wires.

Larry

PostPosted: May Mon 18, 2020 12:10 am 

Though it was tempting, such sets are not my primary interest. That, plus a lack of cat-proof storage, made it a pass for me.

PostPosted: May Mon 18, 2020 12:18 am 

Radios like this are not in my CATegory either, but there are no cats, dogs, birds, children, or other such destructive forces in my small, overcrowded house. I apologize to your cats for depriving them of a new scratching toy.

Larry

PostPosted: May Mon 18, 2020 2:22 am 

They'll be okay. Though a tube set may be something they'd use as a warming station in the winter.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 10:58 pm 

I got a 580 some years ago. A fellow from church knew a woman who was cleaning out the old family home, prior to putting it up for sale. She found the old Grunow way back in a corner of the attic. I went out and looked at it, made an offer, and wound up getting it for $50. The cabinet did have some scratches on the top, but it isn't too bad. I got the chassis restored, and will eventually get around to the cabinet; there are several sets ahead of it.