Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 1:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How is this guy still alive?
PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 12:54 am 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/d/ ... 25974.html

Somehow he got this old Philco 66 to light up without killing himself and/or burning down his house. How is a mystery, since it has the original cloth AC cord.

Attachment:
00W0W_3jT8O3VW8jD_600x450.jpg
00W0W_3jT8O3VW8jD_600x450.jpg [ 58.42 KiB | Viewed 1282 times ]

Post subject: Re: How is this guy still alive?
PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 12:57 am 

Hope he's not my neighbor :shock:

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 1:24 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Phhhhht!

I've fired up dozens far worse than that. If that scares you, don't leave the house ... ever.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 1:42 am 

+1

I've even fired up a couple radios with crumbling rubber insulation and no plug on the end. I have an extension cord with the female end cut off and bare leads exposed. Twist ends of radio's power cord to bare leads of extension cord and plug it into a power strip that's turned off. Go along length of power cord and make sure the two conductors aren't touching each other anywhere the bare wire is exposed. Flip the power switch on the power strip... If it doesn't trip the breaker on the strip, then continue the test. Don't bump the power cord while it's powered up!

And if the power strip's breaker kicks back off when you flip the switch (usually accompanied by a spark somewhere along the power cord), then give up.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 2:36 pm 

+1. That's not bad looking at all. I too have powered up much worse! :)

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 3:01 pm 

Yeah, but we're presumably talking about an average Joe, not a seasoned restorer. Everybody here knows what they're doing, but the average guy today doesn't know the first thing about tube radios. The radio itself is in rather nice condition, but I was referring specifically to that cord. Frayed and the plug looks like it's rusted or corroded. Switch out the cord and the paper caps and it will be a rather nice radio. But I sure wouldn't plug it in until at least I switched out that cord, then I'd use a variac. Plugging in a radio with a frayed, rusted cord after it's been sitting for decades, then just turning it on, is a good way to get a Magic Smoke show. YMMV as always.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 3:53 pm 

Every body needs a little excitement in life.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 3:58 pm 

+ (at least) 3 :wink:

Like Rodney I have a male plug with bare wire ends to clip onto a crumbling cord with no plug.

On the plug in question I'd have no qualms pluging it in if there was not an obvious short.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 7:37 pm 

Just call me Sparky.
". makes a crackling noice"

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 7:56 pm 

Buy a roll of electricians tape at the hardware store and you can fix that right up.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2020 9:39 pm 

I've had old plugs crumble in my bare hands. Embrittlement ain't no joke.

It never happened while I was plugging them into a live socket, but that can be one danger of really old cords.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 11:32 am 

I remember when I was a kid plugging in something old without even considering the condition of the power cord. Often you'd hear that loud "POP" and see the black soot on the socket :)

PostPosted: May Mon 25, 2020 12:24 am 

I have my "Non OSHA approved Power Cord" nice zipcord wire to yes two no covering gator clips. Well I did make the two ends different length so they usually can't smack together. Note to self Connect it before plugging it into the wall outlet!
John k9uwa

PostPosted: May Mon 25, 2020 10:44 pm 

The late Jack Darr from Radio-Electronics magazine called that a "fool killer". Yes, I have one.

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 3:00 am 

I was shopping for antiques and found a dilapidated Emerson electric fan from back in 1914 or 1916 once. The antique dealer plugged it in trying to "prove it worked" and the frayed headwire arced. There was a crack like a percussion-cap exploding and a flash of fire and it scattered pieces of flaming cotton insulation and cracked hard rubber across the counter. I got my $10 discount and still have my antique fan.

One of these days I'm going to make myself a "fool killer" with a dim-bulb tester built into it in a nice box that I can open up & use to test-fire old appliances.

I still use a 1929 electric heater in the winter with an original asbestos-lined power cable; it is extraordinarily efficient & a great saver on the light bill. Think it's 630 watts? It'll do a whole room and barely makes any sounds.

The old projector I used to have would smoke when it was running--the top of it had a 500-watt incandescent bulb in it and it would be tick-tick-ticking away rolling a film on screen while the tin chimney on the back would be pouring smoke. I think it was a later one made in the early 1950s but it looked like an older one than that. Used double-perforated silent 16mm film.

Vintage appliances--for those who dare! :) Still have to get my 1935-39 Sears Challenger waffle maker going and my 1926 Manning Bowman percolator needs a new fuse and I will probably make a new nichrome coil for it one day.

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 12:35 pm 

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
I was shopping for antiques and found a dilapidated Emerson electric fan from back in 1914 or 1916 once. The antique dealer plugged it in trying to "prove it worked" and the frayed headwire arced. There was a crack like a percussion-cap exploding and a flash of fire and it scattered pieces of flaming cotton insulation and cracked hard rubber across the counter. I got my $10 discount and still have my antique fan.

One of these days I'm going to make myself a "fool killer" with a dim-bulb tester built into it in a nice box that I can open up & use to test-fire old appliances.

I still use a 1929 electric heater in the winter with an original asbestos-lined power cable; it is extraordinarily efficient & a great saver on the light bill. Think it's 630 watts? It'll do a whole room and barely makes any sounds.

The old projector I used to have would smoke when it was running--the top of it had a 500-watt incandescent bulb in it and it would be tick-tick-ticking away rolling a film on screen while the tin chimney on the back would be pouring smoke. I think it was a later one made in the early 1950s but it looked like an older one than that. Used double-perforated silent 16mm film.

Vintage appliances--for those who dare! :) Still have to get my 1935-39 Sears Challenger waffle maker going and my 1926 Manning Bowman percolator needs a new fuse and I will probably make a new nichrome coil for it one day.

That's cool using old appliances. I use my '30's Gilbert malt mixer often. It's totally original and works perfectly. The sound reminds me of having a "black and white" at snack bars with my mother when I was a kid. I like the smell of the motor running too. Like an old radio with the dust burning off the tubes :)