Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 11:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Return request vs. refund...eBay
PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 12:58 am 

Guys,

I think I flubbed up using the eBay interface.

I just had a horrible transaction experience on eBay (I’m the buyer here, not the seller).

It took almost a month from when I paid to when it arrived on my doorstep thanks to excuses from the seller about finding time to ship the item (we are both in the CONUS).

Of course it arrived damaged due to poor (very poor packing). I clicked the “arrived damaged” button on the eBay interface page for issues.

The message in my in box is indicating “return request” sent . I just want a refund, I don’t have time to repackage, and resend the darn thing. I stated my full refund request in the message box with plenty of pictures of the disaster.

So am I hosed in regards to being “required” to pack it up and send it back? I’d like to throw it away! It was a 15 dollar vintage item, not a rare radio.

I don’t mind eating the money (paid via PayPal) if I have to as I don’t have time to spend “returning it”.

Your input welcome.

Post subject: Re: Return request vs. refund...eBay
PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 1:47 am 

Fortunately, I've yet to find myself in that dilemma. All I can do is ask: was there an option to select return or refund? Whatever the case, I'd advise you to contact eBay customer service and let them know you want a refund. You also have a good basis for an item not as described claim.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 2:31 am 

I have closed the return request.

I did not see “want a refund” option, so I selected “contact seller” option.

Copied and pasted my original message and all the pictures. Added that I incorrectly opened a return request and reiterated I want a refund.

We’ll see what happens.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 3:18 am 

I have had many items arrive damaged because of poor packing. I normally send the seller a polite message stating that the item unfortunately arrived damaged, usually including a picture or two, and hinting that a partial refund would be in order. Some sellers immediately issued me a full refund with an apology (typically the female ones), some were willing to negotiate a partial refund, some insisted on the item being returned, and and a few outright refused to cooperate. One went so far as to very rudely and abusively accuse me of trying to cheat him, insisting that the smashed radio in my pictures was not what he sold me. I left him the most negative feedback possible.

I usually do not want to go through the hassle of repacking a damaged item and shipping it back to the seller who will likely just put it out with the trash, so I prefer a partial refund commensurate with the decrease in value from the damage. If necessary, I might hint at the possibility of leaving negative feedback as a veiled threat. I never like to start off in a confrontational way. Some people are just not bright. One genius shipped me a clock with a big glass crystal in a Priority Mail padded envelope. Guess what happened to the crystal. They refunded my money when I told them that the clock was broken.

Larry

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 3:40 am 

As far as i know once you close a return request yourself as a buyer, you cant reopen it. I "think" it lets the seller off the hook unless they do something voluntarily. Maybe if you call ebay??? Your next step would be a paypal case, but yes you would have to return it. You can arrange for the post office to pick it up if you want too.

What you see when you initiate the return will depend on the sellers return policy.

Your usually better off if you just do an item not as described right from the start. I was nice enough to let a seller know about a DOA item and ended out having to take the blame myself for the return (I cant remember now what the seller did). yes i got my money back after returning it but that kind of irked me that they did that. Never again. I do more selling than buying and I still recommend doing a not as described case right at the start. If they are a reputable seller they will take care of you right from there. good luck.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 4:18 am 
Site Admin

Did you contact the seller? Sending worthless damaged goods across the country is rather pointless.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 5:57 am 

LarryInMichigan wrote:
I might hint at the possibility of leaving negative feedback as a veiled threat.

eBay considers that feedback extortion and it's a good way to lose a case. It can, and has, also resulted in bans from their system.
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feed ... cy?id=4230
Quote:
Buyers can't use the threat of negative (or promise of positive) feedback to get a seller to provide goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price. Similarly, they can't use feedback to force a seller to accept a return, or give a refund, if they're not required to by the terms of their listing, or the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 6:13 am 

oldmannewtrick wrote:
As far as i know once you close a return request yourself as a buyer, you cant reopen it. I "think" it lets the seller off the hook unless they do something voluntarily. Maybe if you call ebay??? Your next step would be a paypal case, but yes you would have to return it.

PayPal and eBay may not be the same company anymore, but they still kind of cooperate with one another. Last time I checked, if you put a claim in on eBay, you can't do so on PayPal, and vice-versa. That said, I'm not sure whether PayPal would accept a claim that has been filed on eBay but then retracted before the seller had time to act on it. It could be nullified as if it never occurred, or it could stay on eBay's and/or PayPal's system a while and the other service won't accept it because it still shows as active. <shrugh>

As for not returning the item and getting a full refund, if it's an inexpensive item, a lot of sellers prefer to just give the refund and forget about it, since return shipping costs them. You won't find many costly items that the seller won't want returned, and a lot of them will be suspicious of fraud.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 6:16 am 

Well there's another fallback; go to the PayPal transaction and see if you can get a refund through them;

Quote:
How do I request a refund?
You can request a refund of a completed payment by sending the seller an email. Ask the seller to go to the Transaction Details page for your transaction and click Issue a refund.

You can request a refund up to 180 days after you pay for your item. If you sent a payment, but it's still pending, you can cancel it on your Activity as long as you see the "Cancel" button next to it. If the payment isn't claimed within 30 days, it will be automatically refunded to you.

Here’s how to find the seller’s contact information to request a refund:
On the Summary page select the transaction you want to cancel.
Use the contact information to send the seller an email.
If your seller doesn’t agree to refund your money, you may be able to open a dispute in the Resolution Center if you didn’t receive your item, you received something that doesn’t match the seller’s description or your payment was not authorized.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 8:30 am 
Site Admin

I had a refund issue recently. Seller didn't respond. Ebay sent me to PayPal and PayPal sent me back to Ebay. Neither took responsibility. Only repeated messages to the seller resolved the situation.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 10:00 pm 

I was not suggesting actually using a threat of negative feedback to extort the seller, but simply stating that I cannot reasonably give positive feedback to a seller who cheats me. The point of feedback is to encourage sellers and buyers to deal honestly with each other.

Larry

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 2:07 pm 

I don't think it was a good idea to cancel the return request, It could make opening any further claim or refund process more difficult, if not impossible. According to eBay's (constantly changing and arcane) rules and policies the buyer is requested to return the (defective or damaged) item to the seller to be eligible for a refund, UNLESS the seller has selected "does not offer returns" (check "Return Policy" in the "Shipping and Payments" details section at the bottom of the auction page), then you don't need to return the item (you can keep it) AND will get a refund. It would have been more appropriate to open an "Item not as described" dispute in this particular case (a heavily damaged item is no longer as described or initially shown), or open a claim through Paypal. Since the eBay/Paypal split it became increasingly difficult (or deliberatly discouraging ?) going successfully through a refund/claim process, sometimes you're redirected to Paypal, sometimes not... communication is problematic and the refund (if granted) could take up to 2-3 weeks, so you must be (very)patient. I wish you good luck in fighting simultaneously with eBay/Paypal and the seller but at the end you'll most certainly win.