Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 11:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your order is being shipped!
PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 3:19 pm 

I have a real gripe about ebay or any other service which does this.

Too often, what you have is the seller created a label and the tracking number is entered into the USPS database.
This does NOT mean the item is being shipped!

The seller could sit on the package for a week before it is ever in the hands of USPS.... I feel this is a real disservice.

I'm not complaining about anyone, or how long it takes to get an item, OR even complaining about sellers sitting on items for an extended length of time.
But to say it is "being shipped" is a horrible misnomer in too many cases.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject: Re: Your order is being shipped!
PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 3:32 pm 

Steve,
I agree with you 100%.Until the carrier has the package it is not shipped.
Henry

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 4:15 pm 

Yes, a "fresh" new approach to BS is the new norm these days or better said, its SOS...

I have been making a LOT of online purchases in the past 4 months, literally hundreds of email from both ebay and Amazon. I hate to turn them off as occasionally there is something important and in some transactions, the email has a handy link to the transaction.

The most useless emails come from USPS. they only repeat the tracking number :roll: , One would think that providing the last location it was scanned would be beneficial.

I'm not the one who maintains active multiple mail boxes either, so I have to scroll the inbox so long as the item is still "in-transit"....

I am currently waiting on a "special" cat comb. Promised two weeks ago... Currently bouncing around between Springfield, Worcester and Providence P.O's.

Chas

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 4:37 pm 

Yes, Steve, even before ***discussion not permitted*** started, companies were doing this with claiming packages are shipped, when they are not.

My other shipping pet peeve, ever since they introduced it, is "Amazon Day." This is the feature where Amazon supposedly let's you pick your delivery day. That would be super convenient for me, since I tend to WFH one day a week and in my neighborhood, I don't want packages sitting on the stoop even a few minutes.

Problem is, packages almost always arrive a day earlier than Amazon says. I ordered some stuff last week that I wanted delivered today, Tuesday, my chosen Amazon Day. Sure enough, it was delivered yesterday... on a national holiday, no less! Good thing I was home, but come on... making delivery people work on a holiday to deliver stuff people *asked* to have delivered on a different day? Really?

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 4:51 pm 

Hot into the email box:

USPS

Hello Charles,

Your item is out for delivery on May 26, 2020 at 9:04 am in SOUTH DARTMOUTH, MA 02748.

USPS expects to deliver your package today between 8:00am and 12:00pm.

Tracking Number: 9274890990091706516XXX

Now 11:50AM and the postman has not been seen... :roll:

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 7:02 pm 

I've dropped off stuff at the post office that didn't get scanned until it arrived at the destination post office. Our PO scans with their scanners, but until the scanner's data gets uploaded, it'll read "Label printed....." Email updates all showed the same status, until delivery. Unsat, but what can you do? It's not just the USPS....read on.

Same with UPS - our drop-off location will accept and scan a parcel, and wait 2-3 hours before showing receipt of the parcel. Scary, when it's a do-or-die express shipment - This weekend, I sweated out two power supplies ($$$$) sent to a medical center in Utah.. No updates - then, this morning, 8AM in Utah, delivered, and the tracking info backfilled, all the way to Friday. Over the weekend, all UPS showed was Parcel Accepted.....

Our deliveries here all show up in our email inbox as the driver is delivering !! I just wish it was the same the other way - ship an item, and every few hours it updates, to at least show what is happening. I'll not hold my breath...

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 7:05 pm 

They LIED!

Hello Charles,

Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 12:59 pm on May 26, 2020 in SOUTH DARTMOUTH, MA 02748.

Tracking Number: 927489099.............

An hour LATE!

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 7:35 pm 

Well they had to take extraordinary measures to dust the package, and had to send it back across the country to be reinspected and make sure it went to the correct address THIS TIME. :shock: Patience is the Key! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 7:41 pm 

I agree, we are spoiled in that shipping is much quicker these days. Remember buying something and you get "Please allow 6 weeks for delivery"?

My beef, as with Chas, is "Don't handily give out misinformation!"

though, seeing so many Craigslist transactions, people just don't seem to care about keeping their word....

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 8:21 pm 

You know when it's been shipped when you put in the tracking number and it says the USPS has possession of the item.

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 3:07 am 
Site Admin

azenithnut wrote:
I agree, we are spoiled in that shipping is much quicker these days. Remember buying something and you get "Please allow 6 weeks for delivery"?

You're spoiled in the US. Two day shipping? I'm lucky to get two week shipping. I bought a WiFi repeater from a seller in Manila. Ten days later it was still "to be handed over to the logistics company". I then ordered a second one from a vendor in China. I could have cancelled the first order, but didn't. The one from China that had to pass through customs in Manila arrived a week before the one shipped from Manila. The first one shipping was supposed to be 7-10 days. The email confirmation said 13-15 days. The tracking read 10-30 days. I contacted the seller and they said 7-15 days at first and later changed it to ship in 1-6 days and deliver in 6-15 days. Finally received it and I expected to just put it aside as a spare. However it came with an EU plug instead of the US plug in the listing. I asked for a refund through the seller platform and got an immediate refund and was told I didn't have to send it back.

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 3:11 am 

Chas wrote:
An hour LATE!

At least you're receiving your shipments. I'm waiting on a shipment that's been stuck in transit for 2.5 weeks!

And yes, until the carrier has scanned the tracking number barcode, it ain't shipped!

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 3:13 am 

azenithnut wrote:

My beef, as with Chas, is "Don't handily give out misinformation!"

though, seeing so many Craigslist transactions, people just don't seem to care about keeping their word....

-Steve

I have become a bitter CL seller. 95% flakes and they'll screw ya just about every time. My CL ad's have strict rules on pickup time and some other things.

:)

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 3:18 am 

What is funny about this post is that this literally just happened. I was sending Ron of Radio heaven a few books and printed a label. I copied the tracking and sent it to him. Then I realized it was Sunday. So out on Monday.... Nope, Memorial day. So it went out today and he has had the tracking 3 days. I felt a little odd about that like I should have told him it just got picked up today.

Short and sweet I agree it is shady when sellers do that on eBay.

Kirk

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 11:18 am 

Eric H wrote:
You know when it's been shipped when you put in the tracking number and it says the USPS has possession of the item.

Actually, my carrier's scanner apparently gets read/uploaded when he returns to the PO, yet he's had the package for three or more hours.....so all the initial "USPS in Possession of Item" is a useless time metric.....

Picked up at ~ 1:00 pm:

May 26, 2020, 4:35 pm
USPS in possession of item

How do I know 1 PM? 'Twas watching Law and Order - the defendant was performing an allocution at the end of the show when my dog alerted. The carrier got the package, I got a tiny refund check from the city. The package is a surprise, so the recipient won't be tracking it - just me.
Dropping off at the PO counter is now a pain with all of the social distancing norms. No more than 4 in the lobby makes for a long line. No cuts or buts - except when folks check their PO boxes.

At least with UPS it's a lot sooner - I've seen possession tracking in as little as 2 minutes after pickup. But they don't deliver to camps in Iraq. :cry:

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 11:33 am 
Site Admin

All times are based scans, so those times are always correct. They can'r scan something until it is physically in their possession.

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 1:22 pm 

Fake news.

PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2020 1:23 pm 

What are thoughts on an order placed May 18 that is finally shipped (not received) May 29, to be received late next week. Wait until they see their "Positive Feedback". I need to warn others of very poor service. I would have to be hospitalized to get me to delay initiating shipping 11 days.

PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2020 8:47 pm 

This posting reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Homer is microwaving popcorn and says, " Why can't they invent a way to cook things faster!" We are so spoiled, and I am just as guilty of being disappointed when something doesn't arrive on time. Also remember, the first steps in shipping anything are packaging and creating a label, by doing so you are starting the shipping process. :wink:

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2020 4:35 pm 

I ordered a bike trainer from Amazon in the beginning of April. They showed it progressing thru USPS but it never arrived. When I plugged in tracking #, it was not USPS but UPS. UPS said label created but item never shipped. But Amazon charged my credit card anyway. Finally got a refund a week ago. I don't get the motivation, do they think I will let it slide and not request a refund?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next