Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:17 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 2:38 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 2090
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Looks like Estes is having a nice auction with lots of variety on 9/26.

https://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/3476757.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 9:47 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Thu 14, 2006 3:27 pm
Posts: 13207
Location: Carmel, Indiana
Better Link: https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-cata ... A8E4DHJYQ/

_________________
Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 2:14 am 
Member

Joined: Sep Fri 07, 2007 2:27 am
Posts: 6528
Location: Grand Chute, Wisconsin
Same day as the 3rd annual Facebook antique radio swap, just 80 miles away.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5187cfxrj3z2 ... 0.pdf?dl=0

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 2:56 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Sun 01, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 11928
Location: Seattle, WA
Some nice items in there for a wide range of interests.

I'm not a big fan of the radio panels pulled out of '20s phonograph combos. I know those combos are a hard sell, but they're basically worthless without the radio. And frankly, I don't see much value in lone radio panels either.

Anyone know whose collection this is?

_________________
Rodney -- KG7EPW
Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with a chainsaw.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 2:13 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun Wed 14, 2006 11:49 pm
Posts: 7200
Location: Leo, IN or Zellwood, FL
Probably it isn't one specific collectors radios is my guess.
McMurdo MP5 / Clifton It says with 18" Jensen for sure the speaker has been reconed. Almost looks like a 15" one to me? Could be my eyes and this laptop screen?

lot 105 is one of the dual speaker Emerson table radios. Somewhat rare to find them.

Some nice radios in this auction.
John k9uwa

_________________
http://www.JohnJeanAntiqueRadio.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 2:31 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Sun 01, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 11928
Location: Seattle, WA
I did have the same thought, John, that it almost looks like a 15-inch speaker in that Clifton cabinet. But if you zoom the photo up, it says "Jensen 18" on the speaker label.

Which at the very least says it's not an original McMurdo Silver Super Giant that would've had the dual-angle cone. It seems it's one of the other Jensen theatre model speakers.

_________________
Rodney -- KG7EPW
Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with a chainsaw.


Last edited by palegreenthumb on Sep Fri 18, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 2:36 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun Wed 14, 2006 11:49 pm
Posts: 7200
Location: Leo, IN or Zellwood, FL
palegreenthumb wrote:
I did have the same thought, John, that it almost looks like a 15-inch speaker in that Clifton cabinet. I just can't be sure one way or the other though.


I am away today from my own clifton but I don't remember having an additional board under the speaker.
John

_________________
http://www.JohnJeanAntiqueRadio.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 8:00 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 6187
Location: Plymouth, MI
Certainly some rare radios in the auction, thanks for posting bullseyeguyz!

_________________
Dan

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 8:01 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 6187
Location: Plymouth, MI
palegreenthumb wrote:
Some nice items in there for a wide range of interests.

I'm not a big fan of the radio panels pulled out of '20s phonograph combos. I know those combos are a hard sell, but they're basically worthless without the radio. And frankly, I don't see much value in lone radio panels either.

Anyone know whose collection this is?


I agree Rodney. From what I've seen the "pulls" don't go for much, but at the right price would still be a nice pick up.

_________________
Dan

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sat 19, 2020 6:21 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 2090
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
I am very interested in seeing what the prices end up being as I have many of the same sets and I am considering selling my collection. Having online bidding could provide more of an audience than the normal in person.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 3:25 am 
Member

Joined: Jun Sun 16, 2013 10:12 pm
Posts: 934
Location: Brandon, SD
There are some pretty heavy hitters in that collection with the catalin models along with some high end consoles... may be a good gauge of current market prices... Hey bullseyeguyz, may be interested in some of what you have if you decide to sell...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 5:46 am 
Member

Joined: Mar Fri 28, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 1405
Location: Phoenix, AZ 85085
The Leutz Model L sold for $6,500 when John bought it two years ago. It will be interesting to see how it does this time around.
Alan
Attachment:
Leuts Model L.jpg
Leuts Model L.jpg [ 159.96 KiB | Viewed 2007 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 6:16 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct Mon 02, 2017 8:53 am
Posts: 845
Location: Panama City, FL 32401
These,and the R-72 "Toot -A-Loop" are listed at ridiculous prices...

Https://www.etsy.com/listing/802709740/ ... -70s-space


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 6:23 am 
Member

Joined: Sep Fri 07, 2007 2:27 am
Posts: 6528
Location: Grand Chute, Wisconsin
Zenith Royal wrote:
These,and the R-72 "Toot -A-Loop" are listed at ridiculous prices...

Https://www.etsy.com/listing/802709740/ ... -70s-space

But look what they've actually sold for on ebay. (Outside of the shilled one.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... =1&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 2:56 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Thu 14, 2006 3:27 pm
Posts: 13207
Location: Carmel, Indiana
Careful about the Tobe folding radio loop antenna. I believe it's a modern repro.

Image
https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/ ... 344BA096E/

Here's an old ARF thread discussing a similar example: https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 1&t=342403

Real Tobe loop antennas, in good condition, have a value from $500 up to $1000 or so. The Estes auction example, around $100.

There's also a Calvert loop antenna which I believe is simply a modern homebrew creation: https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/ ... 4847B6BBD/

I believe the Leutz model L was once part of John Caperton's collection.

Image
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... start=1040

_________________
Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 5:31 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct Mon 02, 2017 8:53 am
Posts: 845
Location: Panama City, FL 32401
wiscojim wrote:
Zenith Royal wrote:
These,and the R-72 "Toot -A-Loop" are listed at ridiculous prices...

Https://www.etsy.com/listing/802709740/ ... -70s-space

But look what they've actually sold for on ebay. (Outside of the shilled one.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... =1&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1

.


Looks like the R-70 (round ball shaped) was at the '72 Olympics. Maybe Panasonic gave them to the winners at Sapporo?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 9:09 pm 
Member

Joined: Mar Fri 28, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 1405
Location: Phoenix, AZ 85085
Indiana Radios wrote:

I believe the Leutz model L was once part of John Caperton's collection.

Image
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111490&start=1040


This Model L was part of the Frisbee collection sold in 2018 at Morphy's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 12:45 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 6187
Location: Plymouth, MI
If there's only eight in existence, I'm amazed that the AK5 sold for more.

_________________
Dan

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 1:52 pm 
Member

Joined: May Fri 10, 2013 4:09 am
Posts: 2224
Location: Dallas, TX
k9uwa wrote:
Probably it isn't one specific collectors radios is my guess.
McMurdo MP5 / Clifton It says with 18" Jensen for sure the speaker has been reconed. Almost looks like a 15" one to me? Could be my eyes and this laptop screen?

lot 105 is one of the dual speaker Emerson table radios. Somewhat rare to find them. Hi John what's that Emerson worth in that condition, looks mint .

Some nice radios in this auction.
John k9uwa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Tue 22, 2020 6:11 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun Wed 14, 2006 11:49 pm
Posts: 7200
Location: Leo, IN or Zellwood, FL
fred taylor wrote:
k9uwa wrote:
Probably it isn't one specific collectors radios is my guess.
McMurdo MP5 / Clifton It says with 18" Jensen for sure the speaker has been reconed. Almost looks like a 15" one to me? Could be my eyes and this laptop screen?

lot 105 is one of the dual speaker Emerson table radios. Somewhat rare to find them. Hi John what's that Emerson worth in that condition, looks mint .

John k9uwa


probably $250 to $350. I isnt' an UBER Rare Emerson. Usually a couple of them show up on FleaBay per year.
John k9uwa

_________________
http://www.JohnJeanAntiqueRadio.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 68 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bullseyeguyz, fifties, John Bartley and 9 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
cron




































Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB