Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Estes Auction 9/26
PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2020 12:42 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:
Anybody want to explain the $900 Grebe variometer (lot# 168)?

That was the one that really left me scratching my head. Seems like it must be part of something else that's worth a lot more money, but what?

It is a rare piece, but $900 is still pretty high. Someone wanted it pretty badly and was willing to way overpay for it.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2020 1:11 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
palegreenthumb wrote:

That was the one that really left me scratching my head. Seems like it must be part of something else that's worth a lot more money, but what?

It is a rare piece, but $900 is still pretty high. Someone wanted it pretty badly and was willing to way overpay for it.

Who's to say what constitutes overpaying? Is there a book somewhere that says you shouldn't pay more than X amount of dollars for a rare Grebe variometer? You mentioned on the forum somewhere that with the buyer's premium added in you paid almost $10k for an Atwater Kent Model 5 at the Morphy auction for Ron Frisbee's radio collection. Some people would say that paying $10k for any radio item is overpaying, but you wanted the radio, you were willing to pay a lot for it, so to you it was worth that amount -- or was it? I suppose that whoever paid $900 for the Grebe variometer felt it was worth $900, to them at least.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2020 3:09 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
palegreenthumb wrote:

Okay now I feel I need to defend myself. :( As some of you may know I was the one that "overpaid" for the Grebe variometer. It did bring more than I was anticipating paying but I wanted/needed it for a couple reasons. As Grant mentioned it was an early piece with the clutch style knob. I actually wanted the knob more than anything for one reason only. To restore the early CR-3 Special that came from the Burt Katz collection. This set was purchased with an incorrect clutch knob on it.
Here is a picture of the CR-3 Special
Attachment:
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-3.jpg
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-3.jpg [ 392.4 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

Here is a picture of the set showing the difference between the Grebe knob and the Electrose knob. Yes most people wouldn't know the difference but I do.
Attachment:
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-knobs.jpg
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-knobs.jpg [ 230.72 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

In my several year search for a knob I bought a knob from a fellow collector for $225 that was supposed to be a Grebe knob but the font on the numbers is different. So my intentions are to put the matching knobs on my CR-3 and restore it and put one of the odd knobs on the RLVB Variometer and add it to my extensive Grebe collection. As far as what a Grebe RLVB might be worth the only other one I have ever seen brought $1,000 plus fees at the John Terrey liquidation auction several years ago.
Alan

For those of you who might not know this is what the interior of the circa 1919 Grebe CR-3 looks like.
Attachment:
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-2.jpg
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-2.jpg [ 763.42 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2020 6:36 pm 

nazz wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
palegreenthumb wrote:

Who's to say what constitutes overpaying? Is there a book somewhere that says you shouldn't pay more than X amount of dollars for a rare Grebe variometer? You mentioned on the forum somewhere that with the buyer's premium added in you paid almost $10k for an Atwater Kent Model 5 at the Morphy auction for Ron Frisbee's radio collection. Some people would say that paying $10k for any radio item is overpaying, but you wanted the radio, you were willing to pay a lot for it, so to you it was worth that amount -- or was it? I suppose that whoever paid $900 for the Grebe variometer felt it was worth $900, to them at least.

I wasn't the one who paid $9300 for the AK5. Good idea to have your facts straight before posting.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2020 6:41 pm 

bigalarsen wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
palegreenthumb wrote:

Okay now I feel I need to defend myself. :( As some of you may know I was the one that "overpaid" for the Grebe variometer. It did bring more than I was anticipating paying but I wanted/needed it for a couple reasons. As Grant mentioned it was an early piece with the clutch style knob. I actually wanted the knob more than anything for one reason only. To restore the early CR-3 Special that came from the Burt Katz collection. This set was purchased with an incorrect clutch knob on it.
Here is a picture of the CR-3 Special
Attachment:
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-3.jpg

Here is a picture of the set showing the difference between the Grebe knob and the Electrose knob. Yes most people wouldn't know the difference but I do.
Attachment:
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-knobs.jpg

Price makes more sense considering what you wanted it for Alan. I would pay more if I needed a part to restore a more valuable and rare radio.

In my several year search for a knob I bought a knob from a fellow collector for $225 that was supposed to be a Grebe knob but the font on the numbers is different. So my intentions are to put the matching knobs on my CR-3 and restore it and put one of the odd knobs on the RLVB Variometer and add it to my extensive Grebe collection. As far as what a Grebe RLVB might be worth the only other one I have ever seen brought $1,000 plus fees at the John Terrey liquidation auction several years ago.
Alan

For those of you who might not know this is what the interior of the circa 1919 Grebe CR-3 looks like.
Attachment:
USA_Grebe_early Katz CR3-2.jpg

Price makes more sense considering what you wanted it for Alan. I would pay more too if I needed a part to restore a more valuable and rare radio. Very nice early CR-3. If the one in the auction was an early model like yours, I would have bid on it.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2020 7:06 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
nazz wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:

I wasn't the one who paid $9300 for the AK5. Good idea to have your facts straight before posting.

My apologies. I remember you said you'd purchased several breadboards at that auction, and I thought the AK 5 was one of them.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 27, 2020 7:23 pm 

No problem Nazz. Enjoy your day.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2020 11:54 pm 

bigalarsen wrote:
As some of you may know I was the one that "overpaid" for the Grebe variometer.

I think sometimes a person just has to pay whatever it takes in order to achieve that certain piece of mind in knowing that an item which he owns is now historically complete.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 1:54 am 

Very true.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 1:16 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
bigalarsen wrote:
As some of you may know I was the one that "overpaid" for the Grebe variometer.

I think sometimes a person just has to pay whatever it takes in order to achieve that certain piece of mind in knowing that an item which he owns is now historically complete.

Well said.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 7:08 pm 

abc

Last edited by OldRadioCrazy.com on Sep Tue 29, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 7:17 pm 

I spoke with Cledis yesterday, 2 items I "bought" were part of the 24 problem items. He assured me they were working on the problem. He told me that the whole payment will most likely be refunded. A new/corrected invoice will then be sent.

I also pre-bid on an item online and it sold in house for much less than my internet bid. He apologized and said his regular internet clerk was not available for this sale.

Cledis is a very nice guy, good businessman, and radio fanatic himself. I am sure all of this will be straightened out very soon.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 7:25 pm 

Airway Radio Fan wrote:
I spoke with Cledis yesterday, 2 items I "bought" were part of the 24 problem items. He assured me they were working on the problem. He told me that the whole payment will most likely be refunded. A new/corrected invoice will then be sent.

I also pre-bid on an item online and it sold in house for much less than my internet bid. He apologized and said his regular internet clerk was not available for this sale.

Cledis is a very nice guy, good businessman, and radio fanatic himself. I am sure all of this will be straightened out very soon.

I used to deal with his Dad and he was terrific. I just wanted to hear from others and after hearing from you, my concerns are satisfied.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2020 12:41 am 

FWIW, I bought the AK5 from Morphy along with a Grebe CR-18. Love them both. Didn't remember that I'd paid that much for the 5. I do remember that it cost over $1K to ship them both to me, but they arrived safe and on a large pallet. Had the radios not been what I was expecting--beautiful unrestored examples--I would have overpaid. Since they are what I expected and they give me much pleasure in ownership, I think that I got a bargain.
Take care,
Alan

PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2020 1:13 am 

Over $1000 to ship them? Are you sure about that Alan?

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2020 2:14 am 

As I recall it was $1100. Remember that the 5 came in a custom glass top case. The pallet was nearly 6 ft. tall with everything double boxed and then wrapped. Add freight across the country. I declined inside delivery which was about $300 extra
Alan

PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2020 10:24 pm 

orotone wrote:
As I recall it was $1100. Remember that the 5 came in a custom glass top case. The pallet was nearly 6 ft. tall with everything double boxed and then wrapped. Add freight across the country. I declined inside delivery which was about $300 extra
Alan

WoW!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2020 5:22 am 

Here's a couple of pictures of the pallet as it was delivered. Reall, really good packaging.
Alan

Attachments:
AK-5pkga.jpg
AK-5pkga.jpg [ 275.82 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]
AK-5pkgb.jpg
AK-5pkgb.jpg [ 218.37 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2020 5:08 pm 

I just got a refund for my items that I was charged for and did not get. Headed down this weekend to pickup my radios. Next sale is supposed to be end of October.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 04, 2020 10:12 am 

Really enjoyed this thread and the auction particularly and better as it was ended. Sat with a cup of coffee and went through guessing what items went for. Not all but those that I would have liked to bid on.

Got some about right but mostly out by 2 times high or low. Got one or two out by times 10 :oops:

thanks for posting Gary

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 68 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next