Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: $45k, will this sell?
PostPosted: Oct Wed 14, 2020 5:03 pm 

I'm curious what ends up happening with sales like this. On the one hand it's a huge trove, but the way I see it after someone throws down enough money to buy a very nice new car (or a not as nice house), they would then have to find a suitable place to store it and take the time to sort through it all. Does this stuff sell in one sale (maybe to a business) or does it eventually get parted out? I guess I'm drawn to large sales like this, wondering what happens to someones life's work.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 453042902/

Post subject: Re: $45k, will this sell?
PostPosted: Oct Wed 14, 2020 5:12 pm 

It's usually impossible to make a bulk sale of an estate at a price anywhere near what's being asked. Very few people are able to handle a large volume of tubes other than the professional tube dealers, who usually buy at much lower prices knowing that the vast majority of tubes in such settings are worthless TV types they will never be able to resell. You also have to watch out for used tubes in the boxes, one would need to physically inspect the lot in person to determine exactly what is present.

If this seller is firm on the price and not willing to break up the lot into smaller groups, it's not going anywhere.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 14, 2020 5:27 pm 

Agree with Mr. Detrola.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 14, 2020 5:33 pm 

A lot of ICC branded tubes too. UGH.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 14, 2020 10:03 pm 

Well hopefully it all goes to somewhere good use at some point.

My favorite is they say the buyer can easily double the money on ebay. If that were true, then why isn't the sell doing that? Perhaps it wouldn't be so easy after all.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 14, 2020 11:26 pm 

The hardware is mostly junk. That leaves the tubes and it all depends on what the numbers are. If the the photos of the two boxes with tubes in them reflects the entire stock, then it's probably worth $45,000. I get the feeling, though, the those two photos only show the "cherry on the top", the rest are probably TV tubes in great multiples. Maybe $5,000 tops for the tubes. Nothing for the hardware.

The description doesn't sound like the original owner wrote it but, instead, someone else, someone who has no interest in this stuff and really wants to or needs to get rid of it. In this kind of situation, it's a buyer's market and it's the buyers who will establish the collection's true selling price and not the seller.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2020 3:49 am 

I count 9 2A3 boxes. Who knows what's in there. That doesn't make $45,000. Possibly the seller got an appraisal from someone who pulled a wild guess out of thin air (this is a family-friendly forum). It's the same old story. Seller thinks he has a fortune in tubes and stuff.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2020 5:10 pm 

A tube in a box does not equal NOS. I suspect that nearly everyone on the Forum has replaced a tube with one that came out of a box; after a bit of work, he then places the old tube in the box. It takes no time before an entire tube inventory is comprised of used and questionable tubes.

I'm not being critical of those who have re-boxed old tubes; I'm guilty also.

"It's always darkest before it's pitch black"

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2020 5:39 pm 

Guy is going to be sitting on that a long time. I agree, certainly the seller just took pictures of a couple of boxes that have audio tubes, otherwise we would get closer pictures of those rows of tubes. If you only double your money on Ebay as the seller suggests, you would be better off flipping burgers at McDonalds.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2020 8:21 pm 

"Buyer can easily double his money on ebay" Really? Even if he had a reasonable price on that lot I would need a much better return than double, considering the time and effort that will be required. Probably years, depending on what percentage of that lot is even saleable.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 1:44 am 

Allen G wrote:
"Buyer can easily double his money on ebay" Really? Even if he had a reasonable price on that lot I would need a much better return than double, considering the time and effort that will be required. Probably years, depending on what percentage of that lot is even saleable.

If you can't at least triple your "investment" after expenses, it's not worth it. eBay and Paypal fees along with bogus returns and fraud require that much.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 3:56 pm 

I would think a TEN X return would more reasonable, maybe even more!!! Hauling, inventory, storing and then dealing with eBay sales would take years to break even. I can't think of a worse business investment, unless you are already a tube dealer set up to handle it.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 5:56 pm 

Peter Bertini wrote:
I would think a TEN X return would more reasonable, maybe even more!!!

Absolutely! And 10 cents on the dollar is probably the most a dealer would do unless they are overwhelmingly audio tubes.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 7:10 pm 

Fishing for suckers. But how many people that are suckers have that sort of money to throw away on piles of old junk?

PostPosted: Oct Sat 17, 2020 4:15 pm 

One thing for certain, they will never sell on Facebook Marketplace.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 17, 2020 8:44 pm 

Worth perhaps $500 only if the tubes are desirable. Likely not.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 1:09 am 

Might depend on new uses of these old tube that has yet to be discovered, of what they can do, especially of simple tube amps that bring pleasure - and might become coveted, if not well what can I say, may be worth nothing, I'll take the ax7's, 7591's. 6v6's 6l6's, recitifiers, and old 30's tubes. Old 30's tubes have an 'air' on their sound when wrapped around the right circuitry creates a most pleasing sound, especially compared to say solid state systems of today, totally different, and can be easier to listen to, they can paint a better 'picture' of sound, a sound you can almost 'see'.