Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 1:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How does he do it?
PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 7:12 pm 

This seller has several different Ebay user ID's and he is well known on the record player group on Facebook; but, not in a good way. What we have here is a '50's Newcomb record player and you can see what it sold for. If you look at his under chassis picture that I would have been ashamed to show, you can see where one paper capacitor still remains and it looks like he bridged new filter capacitors across the old can (BIG, BIG NO NO!).

Then, he sold another similar one where it looks like the old filter can is still there, with one new film capacitor tacked in.

These practices might be OK for something that you are only "resurrecting" and selling it very cheap or something that you're keeping; but, for something that you're selling for over $300, I'd expect a proper overhaul.

What's sad is those of us who actually DO IT RIGHT can list one for way less money and get nothing but a bunch of watchers and lookers who don't do squat, when it comes to opening their wallet.

I figure the ones buying his stuff must be young hipsters who don't know anything about electronics or about how these record players are supposed to sound.

I know that if I pulled a stunt like this, it would come back to bite me in the rear end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-NEWCOMB-RE ... 7675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-NEWCOMB-RE ... SwmZJfhhSe

Post subject: Re: How does he do it?
PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2020 2:26 pm 

I'd say his restorations are just as vintage as the phonographs that he sells. His repairs are true to the old TV repair shop style of, "don't replace, just bridge". His work may not up to your standards but then he's not selling them to you, he's selling them to the general public who either don't know or don't care in how his phonographs are repaired as long as they perform up to their satisfaction.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 3:54 pm 

People are paying a premium because he can make these items work and the general public does not know how to make these repairs. If you don't like his style/methodology don't buy from him. Simple.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 4:17 pm 

Such sellers hurt all of us who do things properly, as they make it seem that all of us are hacks. It is the same in many other endeavors. Bad preachers, plumbers, accountants, mechanics, environmental consultants, and so forth cause mistrust and cause all of us who do good work to waste time dealing with such mistrust.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 4:54 pm 

shawn1967 wrote:
People are paying a premium because he can make these items work and the general public does not know how to make these repairs. If you don't like his style/methodology don't buy from him. Simple.

Myself, and others, can also make these things work and we actually do it right; but, we're not getting paid these kinds of prices. It seems like the ones who do it right have to go begging for a sale; but, take someone who does the minimum to get something working, hypes it up with a fancy ad, and people act like they are the only ones selling this stuff. Then, when it breaks, they end up having to pay a vintage electronics technician to straighten out the mess (and, then they usually whine about what it cost).

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 6:59 pm 

Hype your own skills with fancy ads/website and run him out of business. It's called competition.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 9:13 pm 

He is taking advantage of the fact that electrolytics fail open, or high ESR, by bridging them. Not hardly ideal but low risk for him to ever get a complaint in the short term. IF it fails two years from now, hey, toooooo bad!

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 9:37 pm 

Ebay should put a stop to using multiple ID's. One screen name only!

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 11:13 pm 

Vin Tageman wrote:
Hype your own skills with fancy ads/website and run him out of business. It's called competition.

It's much more fun to gripe then to actually do anything about it.