Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Seller Questions
PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 3:49 pm 

I don't know why but I'm always drawn to this type of situation: The seller has something that I really want and is priced right as "Buy It Now" but has only been on eBay a short time and only has one or two transactions mostly buying not selling.

The past two times I have tried, I have twice have been disappointed but I have never tried what I am doing this round so I will be curious how or if the following will be answered.

Hello,

I am interested in this item but I do not have time to waste on a unknown seller without a brief introduction.

Please answer the following questions in a timely manner;

1) Are you truly interested in a perfect transaction? If so how will you make it happen?

2) Do you really understand how to package this type of item for shipping? If so please tell me how.

3) How long will it take you to package and ship this item once the transaction has been completed?

Thank you for your time,
Greg

I think if a seller can't take the time to answer the above then I'll just move on and wait for another time. With age come wisdom.

Best,

Post subject: Re: New Seller Questions
PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 4:49 pm 

I think that is a great line of questions.
Some will be insulted and not respond, some will decide you may be trouble and not respond.
If you sent me those questions I would answer all of them.
When I sell, I prepackage with pictures befor posting to sell. Pictures answer a lot.
Just depends on the sellers disposition.

Last edited by pauls.ironhorse on Oct Sun 25, 2020 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 10:24 pm 

It would insult most sellers. eBay has a 100% guaranteed return policy for full refund. No worries if zero or 10000 feedbacks.

Edit- I should have added nothing wrong asking about packing. I have done so on heavy items.

Last edited by jimbenedict on Oct Sun 25, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 11:20 pm 

Yes. I know. And I would never do this to someone with a history but...

This seller has all the flags that I ignored in the past and I really don't want to deal with this seller but I do want the item and so I want to give the seller a chance. At least see if there is a pulse.

The seller has this item listed for like 28 days before it expires. Has only been a member since 2019 and only has one transaction. A purchase.

Anyway, it is a total pain and waste of time when things don't work out because of a deadbeat seller. I always thought these sellers took your money used it to pay the rent and then 30 days later dealt with eBay because they never had an item to ship in the first place.

That being said, I never sold anything on eBay so I really have no clue what happens. But I am a very good customer.

Best,

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 12:07 am 

Wow. I would find that line of questioning of my intelligence and character insulting and would summarily block such buyers, if I bothered selling on eBay. People with this kind of attitude are going to be more trouble than they're worth = blocked! There are more fish in the sea.

Then again, I doubt I'd be burdened with the 3rd degree, since I would detail in the listing how I would pack and ship the item.

But really, just because a person may or may not have sold on eBay in the past, doesn't mean they're clueless. Unless a seller says otherwise, they could be a veteran seller on eBay or other venues, for one thing. They could be a veteran seller on Amazon or with their own e-commerce site, who just started a new eBay account to help relatives or friends unload some of their stuff, because that's where they wanted it sold. There are too many possibilities to make prejudicial assumptions.

On eBay, there's no reason to give the seller the 3rd degree anyway, since, as was pointed out already, eBay protects the buyer in all transactions with the MBG. If anything goes wrong, you will get your money back.

Lastly, what makes you think that the seller won't tell you what you want to hear and ultimately not live up to your expectations? That's what the MBG is there for.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 1:58 am 

Yes I admit that it may have been too harsh of a questionnaire.

Personally if I didn't have any transactions or history I would certainly answer the questions with no hesitation.

The seller may be a saint but my experience tells me otherwise and I thought that reaching out first before I blindly made a transaction may have been the best course of action. In doing so my past prejudice of getting twice burned came through. It was one of those Abraham Lincoln letters. The ones that never should have been sent.

Still it is a pain to go through the process of dealing with a deadbeat seller even though you are guaranteed 100% your money back and I do not like having to give negative feedback.

I would like people to understand that in this situation some caution should be taken. Just don't send a Lincoln letter.

Best regards,

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 6:20 am 

SX-42 wrote:
Yes I admit that it may have been too harsh of a questionnaire.

Personally if I didn't have any transactions or history I would certainly answer the questions with no hesitation.

The seller may be a saint but my experience tells me otherwise and I thought that reaching out first before I blindly made a transaction may have been the best course of action. In doing so my past prejudice of getting twice burned came through. It was one of those Abraham Lincoln letters. The ones that never should have been sent.

Still it is a pain to go through the process of dealing with a deadbeat seller even though you are guaranteed 100% your money back and I do not like having to give negative feedback.

I would like people to understand that in this situation some caution should be taken. Just don't send a Lincoln letter.

Best regards,

With regard to damaged items, yes a PITA to go thru.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 8:06 am 

SX-42, you're really gonna give a brand new seller the third degree? Oh please, I can't think of a better way to turn the person off.

Life's a gamble, and so is dealing on eBay. But the good thing there, if you're a buyer, is a money back guarantee. Just assume that is your backup. AFA packing, the seller may or may not pack it correctly, regardless of any instructions you may give.

In one instance, I told the lady seller to use Styrofoam peanuts, in order to cushion the radio. When I received it, there was some breakage to the Bakelite cabinet. She used Styrofoam OK; a few thin sheets of it... :roll: In that instance she refunded the cost of the bid, and my only expense was the shipping.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 12:52 pm 

No sir,

I no longer have my hat in this arena. I have sent the new seller an apology for the sharpness of that questionnaire and wish him the best in his endeavors.

And now, like him, I shall also move on and stick with just learning how to fix my SX-42.

Thank you everyone,

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 3:03 am 

First question doesn't ask anything concrete. What is a "perfect transaction" vs a normal transaction? What was the answer you were actually looking for? Reminds me of a job interview type question where you just say whatever you think the interviewer wants to hear.

Second question is fair, but worded very harshly.

Third question is kind of irrelevant since it's via ebay. If it took a day vs a week to hand over to the carrier, would that be a deal breaker?

I think you made the right call; if your gut is telling you that you should be skeptical of the packing then there's probably a reason for that. In this analogy use whatever sided dice you think the damage in shipping probability is, but if you were at brick and mortar shop would you buy the equipment if they said: role the dice and if you roll a 4 you get the item for free but I smash it with a hammer, roll any other number you buy the item undamaged for full price.

If you end up in a similar situation later and do want to send a note to the seller, I think it should be something more like: I'm interested in the item you have for sale, but I've ordered similar equipment from other sellers and had a few break during shipping. I was wondering if you've sent a similar item in the mail before and also how you plan to pack the item for shipping.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 7:46 am 

breadtimesamillion wrote:

If you end up in a similar situation later and do want to send a note to the seller, I think it should be something more like: I'm interested in the item you have for sale, but I've ordered similar equipment from other sellers and had a few break during shipping. I was wondering if you've sent a similar item in the mail before and also how you plan to pack the item for shipping.

I think that's a pretty good way to state your concerns W/O ruffling any feathers.