Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Motherload of General Radio gear in Williamsburg MA
PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 7:27 pm 

I always have an internal debate about posting items like this in the Test Equipment forum, but sometimes I feel an item is significant enough that it needs to be made known to all the test equipment folks, since not everyone here follows the Online Auctions and Sales Forum. But perhaps the moderator disagrees and will move this post there.

Craigslist has a listing for quite a collection of older General Radio gear located in Williamsburg, MA, which is just a bit west and north of Northampton, MA:
https://nh.craigslist.org/ele/d/haydenv ... 16902.html

He or she is asking $800 for the lot:
(8) Decade Condensers
(16) Decade Resistors
(1) Decade Bridge (Type 193)
(1) Decade Voltage Divider (Type 654-A)
(1) Variable Inductor
(2) Amplifier/Null Detector (Type 1231-B)
(3) Output Power Meter (Type 583-A)
(6) Audio Frequency Microvolter
(1) 600 Ohm Attenuator
(9) Impedance Bridge (Type 650-A)
(1) Air Variable Condenser (Type 539-B)

If I had the room to store them, I'd jump on it and sell off the redundant items piece-meal. But I don't, and it would be a shame to see these go to the town dump. Perhaps we could arrange a group buy, if we can find six or eight folks within driving distance of Williamsburg?

Barry, do you need more GR stuff for your museum?

Post subject: Re: Motherload of General Radio gear in Williamsburg MA
PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 11:48 am 

GR made some GREAT equipment. I've got, and have had, a few their examples.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 1:35 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Those 650's are not just Impedance. The GR 650 is a CLR bridge and unless a person is in need of instant gratification, they will perform as well as any other high end bridge for the hobbyist.

I'd say there's $800 worth just in those 650's " IF " they are in any sort of good condition ...... that's a big "IF".

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 7:49 pm 

You guys must know something I don't know. I never could get anything for that stuff. I used to work at GR and I was born in the next town from Williamsburg. I have had a couple of GR pieces that I haven't been able to get $10 each for. I finally tossed them!

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 8:14 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Merrill Bancroft wrote:
You guys must know something I don't know. I never could get anything for that stuff. I used to work at GR and I was born in the next town from Williamsburg. I have had a couple of GR pieces that I haven't been able to get $10 each for. I finally tossed them!

That's odd Merrill. Typically my experience is that GR gear in good shape gets bought quickly at flea markets and ham meets by hams and techy people who know how good it is.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 8:18 pm 

I think you could sell decade capacitors and resistors that are duplicates for good money, people still use them. I think they are something like .05% tolerance. The thing is that they are fine resistance wire wound on mica sheets. And the boxes have stated current ratings on them. People will often fry the lower resistance values in those decades and then you got something that is largely worthless. IF you want to maintain the tight tolerance you will have to salvage or make some other time consuming or expensive repairs to them. I have one of the output meters. Kinda rough case but functional. The thing is one of the WW fancy resistors has been replaced with a standard type. I got the schematic of the unit but they do not show the values of the WW resistors.