Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 1:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Depot + Fedex + Paypal - - Oh My!
PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 2:11 am 

After much thought - - and input from you all - - I ordered a small air compressor from Home Depot. I placed the order online, with free home delivery, and paid with Paypal. It arrived (sort of - - -) yesterday.

I went out to meet the Fedex guy at the curb with my 2-wheel dolly; something I normally do with heavy shipments. He placed a large box on the dolly platform; and said something to the effect " . . . that really must be good wine, to be insured for $500!!". It was a large box, and his words didn't immediately register. I put on my glasses, and discovered the label was for someone else, at an address 2 miles away. I flagged him down before he took off, and told him there was a mistake. This, mind you, after he scanned the "wine" as being delivered. He double-checked the label, and apologized for the mistake. I told him I was expecting a compressor, and followed him to the door of his truck. There, indeed, was a compressor - - - or what was left of it. The box was destroyed, and parts of the broken wheels were on the floor of his truck. I politely told him that I refuse shipment for obvious reasons. He cheerfully said that Fedex probably damaged it, and would replace it. He noted it on his device, and went about his route.

About 2 hours later, I received an email from Home Depot that the compressor had been "returned", and that I would be issued a full credit. OK, fine. An hour later, I received another email from Home Depot, indicating that the compressor had been delivered! What gives? Well, I made the mistake of calling Home Depot to find out what's what. The southern-accented lady on the phone apologized, and asked if I wanted the unit replaced. I said yes . . . . For the next 5 minutes, she proceeded to delve into every detail of the order, "just to make sure". As our conversation ended, she asked me for a credit card number. What????? You told me you would replace it! She replied that credits take 3-5 business days, and if I want another one, I need to submit a new order.

At this point, I told her that the original order was funded VIA Paypal, and that's how I'd like to pay for this "duplicate" order. She said - - sorry, but we can't do Paypal payments. What??? At that point, I told her (kindly, considering my mood) to forget it.

I've decided to purchase a Makita compressor from Amazon. Sheesh.

Dan

PS - - - - I would probably have been better off just accepting the wine . . . . :lol:

Post subject: Re: Home Depot + Fedex + Paypal - - Oh My!
PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 2:26 am 

I would do pick up at store option. HomerD has gotten to be a bureaucracy. Had order to store never show up but replacement there in 2 days.

Have had worse experiences with Amazon. Took a month to resolve a bad order. Sent wrong item, sent wrong again, 3 weeks for refund. Worst part Is the seller said "out of my hands, must go through Amazon.".

For large, heavy items, dealing with a store can help.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 3:50 am 

Home Dept has really gone downhill; the last three visits there I discovered an empty shelf where product was supposed to be. At least Lowes has inventory.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 4:30 am 

I bought a garbage disposal from Home Depot. It failed in a day. I went to return it and wanted an upgrade. They would not upgrade. Took it home and it also failed. I think it had plastic vs metal gears. Returned it and got another same unit. This one been working fine for over a year. The labor of replacing twice was a PITA. I am old not as flexible now.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 12:50 pm 

I never have been a fan of Home Depot, but I got a gift card for there recently. I went for some finishing nails, and was told that while the shelf was bare, they had 13 in stock. Confirmed 13 in stock. Showing 13 in stock. You get the idea. Only to then be told they must be in the back and someone would be in the store to stock them in four days. I could come back then. I instead went across the street to Lowes and got the nails I needed.

The other day, I wanted to get acrylic enamel paint for painting on glass. They don't sell it in a can, and I was referred to the Rustoleum section for a can of spray paint. I guess they don't want my glass to rust. So, across the street again to Lowes and now the windows in my garage door are painted just like I wanted.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 1:07 pm 

Similar to Michael I was at Home Depot looking for a cordless trimmer that was supposed to be in stock, but I couldn't find one where it was supposed to be. I finally went up front and asked them to check in case it was actually out-of-stock. The gentleman helping me looked in all the places he could think of and finally sold me the next model up for the same price.

Other than that experience my ventures into HD are as uneventful as they are at Lowes. At both places I try to order online now for in-store pickup to avoid wandering aimlessly in the isles on a fruitless search.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 4:49 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
Home Dept has really gone downhill

I never gave them enough credit to think there was anywhere downhill they could go.

They must be excavating, to get lower.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 9:57 pm 

Agree that for heavier items in general I'd not trust home delivery and have it sent to the nearest store for pick-up when that's an option. That way it gets damaged getting to the store its on them to get a replacement not you. Years ago I had my E-bike sent to a local Walmart store and picked it up there. And I won't bad mouth HD.. they've come in too handy over the years for various items although they are not top of my list. I buy most at Menards then either HD, Lowes or Farm & Fleet.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 10:30 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:
Home Dept has really gone downhill

I never gave them enough credit to think there was anywhere downhill they could go.

They must be excavating, to get lower.

Rodney, thank you for that laugh!
Unfortunately I was drinking something at the moment I ready your reply :lol:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 6:54 am 

+1. Hoooooome Cheapot!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 7:27 am 

Sounds like one of the last times I went to Sears to exchange a broken Craftsman socket before they closed up shop. They didn't have it on the shelf, and they gave me a bunch of BS and said well, just give us your credit card number, and we can order it and refund you when it comes blah, blah, blah. :roll: I said never freakin' mind, and tossed it in the garbage on the way out.

The last socket set I bought from them was Chinese crap anyhow. I think Harbor Freight's hand tools are better than Craftsman's later stuff, and they are lifetime warranty, and are probably better about returns than Sears was towards the end.

I've never been impressed with Homeless Despot either. I almost always deal with Lowes, even they aren't that great a lot of times either. I recently bought a bathtub and shower surround from them. What a pain that was. :?

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 8:16 am 

Eliot Ness wrote:

Other than that experience my ventures into HD are as uneventful as they are at Lowes. At both places I try to order online now for in-store pickup to avoid wandering aimlessly in the isles on a fruitless search.

If I were to order online at either store, I wouldn't get my 10% military discount. It only works with an in-store purchase.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 12:57 pm 

Hey fifties, the cool thing about ordering online at Lowes is it automatically gives me my 10% military discount. At least it does for in-store pickups. I think when I login to order it recognizes my discount.

I never have really figured out if HD offers Vet's a discount other than on Veterans day.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 6:33 pm 

Lemme guess.......FEDEX Ground strikes again.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 8:11 pm 

Eliot Ness wrote:
Hey fifties, the cool thing about ordering online at Lowes is it automatically gives me my 10% military discount. At least it does for in-store pickups. I think when I login to order it recognizes my discount.

I never have really figured out if HD offers Vet's a discount other than on Veterans day.

Thx, I'll have to test an on-line order at Lowes sometime, to see if I get my discount automatically. Given that they use your phone number in their computer, it does sound feasible.

Home Depot matches them with a year around 10% discount, but again, you have to buy in-store and show your military ID.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 8:52 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Lemme guess.......FEDEX Ground strikes again.

Yep. The worst part is that it only traveled about 90 miles on one truck, and then it was loaded onto the local delivery truck. My neighbor is a supervisor for Fedex. He said that a few years ago, they wouldn't accept a damaged box in the first place. If they damaged it as a result of their handling, they would inspect the shipment, and re-tape the box if the innards looked OK. If it appeared to be damaged, they'd file a claim and handle it internally. These days, they just drop it on the conveyor no matter how it looks when they receive it. The beancounters apparently figure that it's the most cost-effective way to handle damaged items; whether it happened in their possession or before they received it. Such is business nowadays. Sad.

Dan