Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 03, 2021 7:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: eBay Stings Again
PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 4:48 pm 

So I guess this really isn't the fault of ebay. Retail shipping prices are, indeed, high these days.

Thanks to the guidance from several forum members, I can use PayPal's discounted shipping software (Pitney Bowes) even if I don't use PayPal for a payment and I've never used ebay for selling. I've been quite happy with my $39 Canon printer/scanner from Amazon.

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Sat 17, 2021 12:34 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
So I guess this really isn't the fault of ebay. Retail shipping prices are, indeed, high these days.

Thanks to the guidance from several forum members, I can use PayPal's discounted shipping software (Pitney Bowes) even if I don't use PayPal for a payment and I've never used ebay for selling. I've been quite happy with my $39 Canon printer/scanner from Amazon.

Dave

It is ebay's fault. They undercharge to buyer.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 17, 2021 2:39 am 

I have sold 100's of items on Ebay and I almost always make money on the shipping, even if only a handful of cents. You will get burnt if you don't put in the correct info including which shipping service type.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 1:40 pm 

Every UPS shipping label that I've purchased through eBay so far for sold items seems to be substantially discounted unless I am missing something here.

If you are unable to print a purchased eBay shipping label you can still download the label to your PC and email it as an attachment to be printed somewhere else.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 2:42 pm 

Does ebay allow you to list an item with a non-discounted, retail (i.e. Post Office) shipping price?

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 3:06 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Dave Doughty wrote:
Does ebay allow you to list an item with a non-discounted, retail (i.e. Post Office) shipping price?

Dave

I am a very infrequent, irregular user of Facebook for selling. However, when I found that my options for payment and shipping were being restricted and regulated by Facebook I started selling as "local pickup" and said in the listing that I'd also ship. That way I could avoid PayPal and the other nonsense.

I don't know if that option still exists.... it's been a while since I sold anything on Facebook.

EDIT :: I just went to eBay.ca and tried a dummy listing and it all went thru' right up to pushing the "List It" button, and that's where I stopped.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 3:37 pm 

What we have here is an easy problem....don't need a printer---don't buy one!!---DO need printer---buy the one that meets the requirements.....
Or, did I miss an important detail??

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 9:18 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
I just went to eBay.ca and tried a dummy listing and it all went thru' right up to pushing the "List It" button, and that's where I stopped.
So you have to commit to listing an item before you can choose a shipping option?

I went to eBay to find the answer and found this:

Quote:
If you choose to ship your item:

In Ship your item, enter a fixed cost or the package weight and dimensions so we can calculate the cost.
If you're not happy with the recommended shipping service, select Change shipping service to choose another option.
Select the calculated rate, or select the option to charge a fixed amount, then enter the amount. You can also choose to offer free shipping and pay it yourself.
Looks like you are free to decide the shipping cost yourself and enter that number if you don't want to use their shipping calculator.

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 9:35 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Dave Doughty wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
I just went to eBay.ca and tried a dummy listing and it all went thru' right up to pushing the "List It" button, and that's where I stopped.
So you have to commit to listing an item before you can choose a shipping option?

I went to eBay to find the answer and found this:

Quote:
If you choose to ship your item:

In Ship your item, enter a fixed cost or the package weight and dimensions so we can calculate the cost.
If you're not happy with the recommended shipping service, select Change shipping service to choose another option.
Select the calculated rate, or select the option to charge a fixed amount, then enter the amount. You can also choose to offer free shipping and pay it yourself.
Looks like you are free to decide the shipping cost yourself and enter that number if you don't want to use their shipping calculator.

Dave

No, I bypassed the shipping option and chose local pickup instead. Then I used to put "will also ship" in the ad.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 10:15 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
Paul Dietenberger wrote:
You can buy a black and white laser printer brand new for $100 (or used for less) and have reliable printing for the rest of your life, if you want to fix this problem.

Laser printers still use a cartridge. It was the cartridge that permanently shut down my less than year old printer. BTW- I will never buy any HP product again due to the ridiculous shutdown. Who do they think they are? God?. My newest computer is a Asus, not HP.

What particular HP printer was this? I have A M401n and aP2055d at home and I use re-manufactured cartridges all the time with no problems whatsoever. I also have at least 20 printers at work and they are all HP's and we use re-manufactured cartridges in every one of them without a problem. My sister in law had a similar situation happen with her Epson all in one. She used some re-manufactured ink cartridges and the printer detected it and shut down her scanner. More and more printer manufacturers are doing this and Epson even had it clearly spelled out in their EULA. Once she went back to "Genuine Epson" ink it worked as usual.

Full Disclosure: I run Linux at home and my printer drivers are the ones supplied by Linux however we use Windows at work and I believe that every machine has the HP Printer driver. I would like to know what printer you were using so that I can bring it to the attention of out IT people to avoid that printer in the future. We swear by HP printers as they are workhorses and each printer is good for a million or more pages before they need replacement. We have tried Epson, brother and other laser printers and we have not found one of them to hold up like the HP does. Of course it is your money and you can do as you please; I will stick with my HP workhorses and be happy.

As to eBay undercharging.... I sold some old hand planes back in December and eBay undercharged me for shipping. Guess what? they came back in February or March and took the amount that was undercharged from my PayPal account. This made me mad because I charged a flat rate and then refunded any over-payment back to the buyer. so I got hit for the difference to the tune of almost $50.00

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 5:16 am 

Well, ebay stings again today on shipping. ebay allowed $38.60. Actual shipping was $61.45. USPS will not allow ground shipping, only Priority mail to certain addresses. eBay does not account for this. And, do not state wrong weight issue. The weight was correct.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 10:46 am 

jimbenedict wrote:
USPS will not allow ground shipping, only Priority mail to certain addresses.

I have never heard of this. Parcel Select and Priority come on the same truck by the same carrier. I googled this and could find no reference to this being the case.

Why is it that some people have so many problems with Ebay?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 1:03 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
Well, ebay stings again today on shipping. ebay allowed $38.60. Actual shipping was $61.45. USPS will not allow ground shipping, only Priority mail to certain addresses. eBay does not account for this. And, do not state wrong weight issue. The weight was correct.

I've never had that issue and coming up on 50-ish radios sold since last year. When I weigh my items before putting up the listing I add in the weight of two boxes and bubble wrap to make sure that is covered, and depending on the size may had a few oz or a lb to account for any miscalculations. I haven't lost money on shipping yet and in a few cases eBay charged the buyer way more than the actual cost, which I refunded the difference back to the buyer.

You say the weight is right and I believe you. What about dimensions? Is your shipping location set correctly on your account? Even if your address is correct on your account I believe there is a separate setting for the shipping location zip code.

I always ship USPS priority Mail or UPS Ground. I prefer UPS as eBay gives a bigger discount to the seller, so less cost to ship and the difference goes towards buying packing materials.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 2:21 pm 

Scott wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

I have never heard of this. Parcel Select and Priority come on the same truck by the same carrier. I googled this and could find no reference to this being the case.

Retail USPS Ground is not available to many states especially if close by like here in the Northeast. "Retail USPS" is when you take the item to the Post Office to have them weigh and price shipping postage for the package, "Parcel Select" is a commercial rate that can only be done on-line when you weigh the package and print the shipping label yourself using PayPal or some other commercial, on-line service such as Stamps.com, ShipStation.com, etc.

I don't know how ebay comes up with their shipping cost since I've never sold stuff on ebay. Does ebay, itself, have a way to create shipping labels with their stated price? I think the OP seems to be complaining about shipping rates because he refuses to print his own shipping labels then blames ebay for the price discrepancies.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 3:14 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
targeteye wrote:
i've never had a problem as long as you purchase the labels thru eBay. You will pay more if you pay for shipping directly with the shipper. In some cases substantially more.

I do not own a printer that ebay believes every one does.

Did you maybe mean to say:
" I do not own the type of printer that ebay believes every one does.[/quote]
"
??

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 4:32 pm 

Scott wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

Errr, if I coad hjave shipped cheaper I would USPS as stated only allows Priority mail to certain locations.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 6:51 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Scott wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

Retail USPS Ground is not available to many states especially if close by like here in the Northeast. "Retail USPS" is when you take the item to the Post Office to have them weigh and price shipping postage for the package, "Parcel Select" is a commercial rate that can only be done on-line when you weigh the package and print the shipping label yourself using PayPal or some other commercial, on-line service such as Stamps.com, ShipStation.com, etc.

I don't know how ebay comes up with their shipping cost since I've never sold stuff on ebay. Does ebay, itself, have a way to create shipping labels with their stated price? I think the OP seems to be complaining about shipping rates because he refuses to print his own shipping labels then blames ebay for the price discrepancies.

Dave

Ebay offers USPS Parcel Select, among many other shipping services including FedEx and UPS. You select the service when you list the item and it calculates the postage. I have never had a problem with it being wrong, even on heavy stuff. It would make no sense to go to the Post Office and pay retail prices when you can readily print postage right from Ebay at a discounted price. The same people seem to have problems over and over.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 1:39 am 

Fortunately buyer paid the increased shipping cost.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 2:18 am 

All's well that ends well.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 4:59 pm 

I'm still kind of scratching my head on how you guys are getting burned by the eBay shipping calculator? I put in my exact boxed/packed weight and measurements and in almost every case I MAKE money on shipping when purchasing the label through eBay. If I pad the weight number any its only on large items that require double boxing, and even then its only a 1lb or so. The profits I make from shipping go towards paying for bubble wrap, boxes, tape, etc. In the case where shipping cost is substantially less than what the buyer paid I usually refund a good portion of the difference.

I really like UPS Ground as eBay sometimes offers a steep discount to the seller, 40% or more. USPS Priority mail is usually 8-10% discounted. FedEx Home Delivery seems to be the cheapest for real heavy items like a 36lb boat anchor that I shipped last week.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next