Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Tue 18, 2021 8:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: When is Ebay dumping PayPal?
PostPosted: Apr Tue 06, 2021 4:52 pm 

anchorman wrote:
oldmannewtrick wrote:
Im really not any more scared of ebay handling my money than paypal. Their both greedy.

Paypal is still owned by ebay, and I thought will remain so? The worst is ebay charging fees on shipping.

PayPal has been a separate publicly traded company since 2015.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 06, 2021 8:52 pm 

A very recent experience here. I bought what was advertised as a Microsoft model 4000 ergonomic K/B from a Sears partner seller for $75. They sent me an email acknowledgement with a thumbnail pic of the item.
What I received was an obvious knockoff, and had a somewhat different appearance than what I had paid for, and displayed in the email they had sent.

I pay online with PayPal for a reason; and that reason is buyer protection. In the past I had gone round and round with another Sears partner, so I didn't even bother contacting them about this, I went straight to PayPal and asked for a return label. I was damned if I was gonna pay return postage for their bait and switch stunt.

PayPal waited 5 days, then gave me a full refund, and no requirement to return the K/B.

I am obviously very pleased with their service, and use it for most all of my online purchases, save for Amazon, which of course offers their own protection.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 06, 2021 10:45 pm 

PayPal and Ebay still collude together although they are allegedly separate. An example, if you buy an Ebay gift card and use it for payment, you have to have a PayPal account?? Makes no sense whatsoever. They both still get kickbacks from each other

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 3:09 am 

Well, I guess they just dumped PayPal (at least for me). I just attempted to list a radio there, went to all the trouble of writing a description, clicked the "list it" button, and they told me that my ability to sell had been suspended until I signed up for their managed payments bull crap. Frankly, I don't trust Ebay with my SSN and bank account information; so, I guess that means I'm done with them and the radio can go back up on the shelf.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 3:30 am 

radiotvnut wrote:
Frankly, I don't trust Ebay with my SSN and bank account information

And you don't think they already had access to that when they were using their wholly owned subsidiary, PayPal, as their payment platform?

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 4:29 am 

fifties wrote:
radiotvnut wrote:

And you don't think they already had access to that when they were using their wholly owned subsidiary, PayPal, as their payment platform?

I don't recall having ever given paypal my SSN.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 5:23 am 

More than anything, it's honestly the principal of the whole thing. For years, they have been forcing stupid policies on everyone and, even years ago, there was talk that they wanted to run off all the small sellers (the ones who made them what they are) and concentrate on the high volume sellers that make them a ton of money. This newest change was the "enough is enough" moment for me and I've talked to some other people, who say they are dropping Ebay.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 7:20 am 

anchorman wrote:
fifties wrote:
radiotvnut wrote:

I can't recall what I ate for breakfast yesterday, so no way would I remember what personal information I may have given them. It's possible that back in the day they didn't ask for SSN ID. However, since the requirement of issuing an IRS form for sales or number of transactions exceeding certain amounts, it's something they would now need.

radiotvnut wrote:
More than anything, it's honestly the principal of the whole thing. For years, they have been forcing stupid policies on everyone and, even years ago, there was talk that they wanted to run off all the small sellers (the ones who made them what they are) and concentrate on the high volume sellers that make them a ton of money. This newest change was the "enough is enough" moment for me and I've talked to some other people, who say they are dropping Ebay.

"talk that they wanted to run off all the small sellers" AKA gossip that lead to nowhere.
Their policy changes over the years seem to have been both beneficial and not so much, but it is what it is, and eBay is still the umpteen pound Gorilla on the internet; that hasn't changed. When I occasionally want to dispose of things, I'll still hold auctions or BIN's there. Unlike CL, you get valid responses on The Bay.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 11:14 pm 

When sellers leave there is always someone else to fill their void, a new seller. Its always been that way.

One thing they lose though is when a seller leaves angry he may stop shopping there too.

Notice how they upped the amount of listings to sellers when they made managed payments almost manditory? That easily could be to make up for sellers leaving.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 11, 2021 2:14 pm 

I've always said ebay needs competition. If they keep pulling these kinds of antics, they just may get it.

I don't care how big a company is or how much of a monopoly they have. Arrogance and taking your customers for granted will eventually do them in as competition is created and people go elsewhere (Sears, anyone?).

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Apr Tue 27, 2021 6:46 pm 

anchorman wrote:
fifties wrote:
radiotvnut wrote:

Ditto. When I signed up years back, they didn't require SSN. They have tried to "remind" me to give it to them in the past year, but I've just ignored it. I definitely don't trust eBay with that information.

No big loss as I might sell 2-3 things a year.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2