Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 25, 2021 10:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any information on this fairbanks morse?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 04, 2021 4:55 am 

As I often tend to do, especially lately since I can’t really do much at the place I’m currently at while the new home is repaired, I’ve tended to browse several antique stores, this particular one ii saw this at has tons of radios, most in just as rough shape as this one. It had no model number anywhere, and all I had to go off was the company name.

I took this photo of it just cuz i was curious if folks could give me some information about it. I don’t see myself getting it, partly cuz the shape it’s in, but more so cuz I’ve bought enough radios lately and it’s time I hit the brakes for a bit and least wait till i repair the ones I got, but i would at least like to know SOMETHING about this one.

Attachments:
8291E14A-95D0-4C91-92C8-A93B7A3FA32C.jpeg
8291E14A-95D0-4C91-92C8-A93B7A3FA32C.jpeg [ 763.4 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

Post subject: Re: Any information on this fairbanks morse?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 04, 2021 2:50 pm 

Model 5312 from their 1935 line, first year of new sets after buying Audiola. Made in Chicago
5 tubes, 2A7-58-2A6-2A5-80
6" speaker
Tunes AM and SW 5-18MHz
Cost $39.95 when it was new

First listed in Radio Retailing, September 1934

Pretty low-end set. Don't know that there's any particular collector demand for it but if the seller isn't asking too much and there's not much damage it could be a restored set in someone's house, maybe. Nice styling, anyway. I'd be liable to grab it if it weren't expensive, because it's probably relatively easy to work on if nothing is damaged. Would be tough to get parts if something is, though.

Attachment:
fm5312.jpg
fm5312.jpg [ 99.86 KiB | Viewed 349 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 1:51 am 

The cabinet style of this radio would have me interested a lot more than however it would perform. It's got that nice skyscraper style to it. I think I may actually have one of these myself. Maybe. Knobs are original? They look like they'd be hard to find replacements for.

Peter

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 4:01 am 

The guy originally wanted 65 for it, but if I actually did go after this one I could probably talk him down, fellow seems more like he just wants to get rid of stuff he’s hoarded over the years in his store more than anything.

Thing is though, I’m just not super interested in this one. I just got curious cuz I’d not seen a fairbanks model before and didn’t know much about them. If it was the one with longwave as well I’d probably be more interested, but I just really wanted to get some more information on it more than anything since no model number was anywhere on it.

There were no major damages to the body, needs a new dial cover(? I think...)but just mostly what you see there, needs major refinishing. But electrically would need more work, needs new cord(old one was cut), recapping(obviously) and probably more.

Again I don’t really see myself going after this one, if I got it, more than anything it’d be to say i had another pre-ww2 set, i just wanted more info on it. But if folks here think I should take a chance, by all means lemme know what offer I should throw out there. If the guy says no, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 6:33 am 

It doesn't matter what it's worth if you can't interest yourself in it. Either it will sit in your house where someone who might like it better could have bought it and done something with it, or you will start it but not develop enough interest to do a good job and then it's a waste. Don't buy things just because they're there. There are plenty of things out there, including ones that will move you enough to make you want to part with your time and money.

Now if it's me, I'd hand over $40 and take it home without a second thought, maybe even 50. Make it nice and see if someone wanted to buy it from me overhauled and working.

The sordid tale of Fairbanks-Morse's ill-fated foray into home appliances is a rather interesting story, for what that's worth, and contrary to conventional wisdom, I can't find any proof that a fire was involved. There is plenty of proof of simple incompetence leading to a failure in the marketplace.