Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 26, 2021 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy bids......
PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 1:36 am 

Twice I contacted the seller to ask what the tube tested at and he never answered. Now a couple of bidders are running up the bid beyond reason for a tube with no test results given other than the seller describing it as "tested good". I've learned that different people have very different ideas on what "good" is, and I'm really suspicious of a seller who won't give test results. It will be interesting to see how much more nutty the bidders get.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294201547837?h ... SwDFhgsuvq

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

Last edited by atwaterkent1 on Jun Mon 07, 2021 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Crazy bids......
PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 1:42 am 

Link would be nice.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 1:50 am 

Oops!

$228.49!

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 2:32 am 

In the ad description it mentions "tested good on hickok 600A" $ 228.49! Uff ...

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 5:04 am 

So about what is the true value of a used Radiotron WD11, with a brass base?

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 5:27 am 

I've paid from $95 for one with good test results guaranteed to $150 for one in original packaging and cosmetically near perfect with very good test results.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 2:58 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Twice I contacted the seller to ask what the tube tested at and he never answered.

Seller's know that some buyer's will tend to overexaggerate or overinterpret the vague claim of a tube as being "good" or "strong" and act on that type of thinking. By asking what the actual test result was for that tube, you were essentially asking the wrong question and, therefore, not worthy of a reply. I guess that line of thought still worked out for this seller because he wound up getting a good price for that tube, regardless, and I'll bet neither of the two top bidders ever bothered to ask the seller about specific test results. I'll bet those are the kind of buyers that this seller would prefer to sell to all day long, the kind that doesn't ask pesky technical questions.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 4:39 pm 

A good reason to ask for test results is that no modern tester has a socket or stated set-ups and acceptable results for a WD-11. If the seller doesn't say how he knows the tube tested strong, that is, what number he measured "strong" against, that is a reasonable indication that he probably only tested filament continuity.

The seller probably knew full well that the buyer was also probably not able to test anything but filament continuity. The seller probably also knew that pretty much any WD-11 with some emission would work in an Aeriola Sr.

Typically for Hickok testers, one uses the setups and acceptance data for a type 864, which is nearly identical, but one would still need an adapter or alligator clips

Maybe it would have been better to ask how the tube was determined to be "strong", since there is no WD-11 socket or acceptance data for the 600A.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 4:51 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
Twice I contacted the seller to ask what the tube tested at and he never answered.

Seller's know that some buyer's will tend to overexaggerate or overinterpret the vague claim of a tube as being "good" or "strong" and act on that type of thinking. By asking what the actual test result was for that tube, you were essentially asking the wrong question and, therefore, not worthy of a reply. I guess that line of thought still worked out for this seller because he wound up getting a good price for that tube, regardless, and I'll bet neither of the two top bidders ever bothered to ask the seller about specific test results. I'll bet those are the kind of buyers that this seller would prefer to sell to all day long, the kind that doesn't ask pesky technical questions.

I agree, the ones who overbid are the types of buyers P.T. Barnum appreciated the most.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 5:22 pm 

eBay is a buyers market.

There is little risk for the buyer here, other than perhaps some wasted time.

Should anything not be up to the buyers expectations, they simply fill out a "not as described" claim and within a several days they'll get a prepaid return shipping label from eBay. The seller can't win disputes like this, they know it, and even if they try, they'll lose every time. When the package is delivered back to the seller the full amount paid will be refunded to the buyer in a day or two. Buyer is free to leave whatever feedback they want, and seller is not allowed to leave anything but positive feedback for the transaction.
This is the reality of eBay in 2021.

- Jim

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 5:27 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Oops!

$228.49!

I will sell you my BBTT WD-12 for that price.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 6:57 pm 

jimtech wrote:
eBay is a buyers market.

Should anything not be up to the buyers expectations, they simply fill out a "not as described" claim and within a several days they'll get a prepaid return shipping label from eBay. The seller can't win disputes like this, they know it, and even if they try, they'll lose every time. When the package is delivered back to the seller the full amount paid will be refunded to the buyer in a day or two. Buyer is free to leave whatever feedback they want, and seller is not allowed to leave anything but positive feedback for the transaction.

- Jim

I disagree Jim, since the seller didn't state the actual test result it would be difficult to get a refund even if the emissions are low, which is probably the reason the actual test results weren't disclosed. Reputable tube sellers give the results.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 2:31 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
jimtech wrote:
eBay is a buyers market.

- Jim

I disagree Jim, since the seller didn't state the actual test result it would be difficult to get a refund even if the emissions are low, which is probably the reason the actual test results weren't disclosed. Reputable tube sellers give the results.

I would say that he's correct, insofar as eBay being a buyers market; when wanting to return something, the screen gives several choices, broad enough that a buyer can use almost any reason. So they wouldn't even have to specify emissions.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 2:50 am 

I'd have to disagree with that assessment.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 2:56 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
I'd have to disagree with that assessment.

This guy has been selling a radio for an outrageous price, offered him $25 less, his reply.

I do appreciate your business ... but I'm a good customer at Walmart and they won't take my suggestions on reduced prices. Sorry ... but I would like to get $175 for this radio.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 09, 2021 1:37 am 

Dan,
I agree that the sellers wording in the description may have indeed been carefully chosen to not fully reveal non-spectacular test results.
The lack of replies to your requests would be a red flag in my book too. I also agree that the selling price ended up being pretty crazy.

I still am of the opinion that there is little risk for the buyer in taking the chance that this indeed a tube in spectacular operating condition.

eBay makes it clear to sellers that accepting returns for items that don't make the buyer super happy is to be considered the cost of doing business there. Anything else causes a "negative buying experience" and is frowned upon. Your seller fees and listing ranking will suffer if you resist offering immediate refunds, and in the end eBay will refund the buyer and suck the money from your account anyway. For sellers, resistance is indeed futile there!
Unfortunately, there are some people out there that know this and take full advantage of the situation that eBay has created.

Ebay doesn't take on the role of arbitrator concerning return requests.

In this case, the tube was even offered with a 14 day money back return. Even if the buyer stated that they "changed their mind" or it "didn't fit", all they would be liable for is return postage. A reason for return of "not as described" gets you a prepaid return label (paid for by the seller of course) even if it was offered "for parts or not working" and you do not accept returns. eBay doesn't care about the specifics of the description when it comes to return privileges. At best, a seller may be able to argue their way out of being dinged in their seller ratings for the return, but that's about it.

Anyway...that's my $0.02 after 12+ years of buying and selling at the big auction site that everyone loves to hate but can't resist going back for more.

- Jim