Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 26, 2021 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: This takes some hubris...
PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 7:29 pm 

Last week I purchased a Zenith 12A57 chassis on Ebay, now on its way via UPS. The seller sent me a message from another customer, asking me if I would sell him the dial pointer from my chassis. My gosh, it's bad enough that sets are parted out to be sold piece by piece. Now they want the buyers to part their radios out for others? To me, that takes some incredible nerve!!! Is this something new, or is it the standard operating practice for this brave new millenium?

Post subject: Re: This takes some hubris...
PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 7:49 pm 

:evil: THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE!!! :evil:

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 7:57 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I don't see the problem. As long as the request was made politely, all that's required is a polite reply in the negative. It's not like they're attacking you. They don't know you and they don't know what your plans are for the set. For all they know you don't need the entire chassis and they're just trying to complete their own radio, so they took a chance that you'd be ok with the request.

All that's needed in this case is a reply that says summat like : "thank you for the offer to buy the dial pointer, but I will be restoring this chassis and using it, so I will need the pointer myself".

??

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 8:00 pm 

While I probably would not do this personally, the guy asking the question probably figures he has nothing to lose by trying.

The seller is just the messenger, and the only common link between you and the guy asking the question.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 8:12 pm 

Not legal by ebay standards, unless you list the dial pointer for sale.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 8:43 pm 

I wonder if the questioner was whoever bought the ebony cabinet 12A58 last week.

John Bartley wrote:
I don't see the problem. As long as the request was made politely, all that's required is a polite reply in the negative. It's not like they're attacking you. They don't know you and they don't know what your plans are for the set. For all they know you don't need the entire chassis and they're just trying to complete their own radio, so they took a chance that you'd be ok with the request.

All that's needed in this case is a reply that says summat like : "thank you for the offer to buy the dial pointer, but I will be restoring this chassis and using it, so I will need the pointer myself".

??

This. Of course one must be very careful and gentle in phrasing such a request so as to not look inappropriate.

But, if this is how people are going to react, I guess I'll end up having to buy a whole Scott AW12 receiver chassis later today just to acquire one mismatched unoriginal knob from it. Because it actually occurred to me to ask the seller to ask the auction winner about it before I saw this post. :P

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 10:55 pm 

I see zero problem with this. Possibly the other person saw the auction and assumed that the buyer might be buying it as a parts chassis and therefore might have extra parts. Can’t hurt to send out feelers for these unobtanium parts. If someone asked the seller of a chassis I bought to reach out to me for a part, I’d happily help if I could. Many people have helped me over the years.

Last edited by Diverted on Jun Mon 14, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 11:02 pm 

Diverted wrote:
I see zero problem with this. Possibly the other person saw the auction and assumed that the buyer might have a parts set at home. Can’t hurt to send out feelers for these unobtanium parts. If someone asked the seller of a chassis I bought to reach out to me for a part, I’d happily help if I could. Many people have helped me over the years.

And also, This...

PostPosted: Jun Mon 14, 2021 2:49 am 

This reminds me of the reaction I got from a girl I asked out on a date when i was 20....

How dare I ?

Relax, don't take things personally.

:D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jun Mon 14, 2021 3:56 am 

You seem to have thin skin, Chuck.

Consider, you bought a chassis only, not a complete radio, so it's entirely possible that you were buying it for parts. The other person was merely feeling out to see if you would sell him a component from it. Chill, bro.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 14, 2021 9:36 pm 

Sorry Chuck, but I agree with above. You never know unless you ask. A simple I will be using the dial pointer. Good luck with your searching.

Freeman