Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 26, 2021 12:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What makes people think they can not ship something?
PostPosted: Jun Tue 22, 2021 6:36 pm 

Back in the old days of Ebay, when payments were made with money orders, it was not unheard of for crooks to take the money and run. In fact, I had it happen to me with an Audiotronics school record player that I bought from a zero feedback seller (I think the total was $17 and some change). I sent them a money order, they never shipped the record player, it was proven that they cashed the MO, and the post office told me I'd come out cheaper just to "eat it." I figure whoever the seller was was ticked because it didn't bring enough money to suit them; so, they decided to keep my money and not send the item.

With all the buyer protection that comes with Ebay, I don't know why anyone would think that they could sell something and then not ship the item. I've had it happen to me a few times and when I filed a claim, I eventually got my money back (likely, Ebay snatched the money out of their account to refund me). Right now, I just filed a claim on a record that I ordered on 5/27 and I still have not gotten the record or so much as a tracking number. Looking at their feedback, they have several comments for slow/no shipping. The record was under $10 with shipping; but, I don't care if it was a dollar.....if I buy something, I expect the seller to hold up their end. If someone is not in a position to hold up their end, then they should not be selling. On that note, buyer protection is a good thing; but, it's not a good thing scammers use it to get something for free (I've had that happen, too). Ebay really needs to set a "happy medium" where the truly dishonest sellers get punished; but, the scammers can't use the system to get something for nothing.

Post subject: Re: What makes people think they can not ship something?
PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 8:48 pm 

radiotvnut wrote:
Ebay really needs to set a "happy medium" where the truly dishonest sellers get punished; but, the scammers can't use the system to get something for nothing.

How would you purpose that they do this in a fair and equitable manor? Given the vast amount of differing items sold on eBay I think this feat would be nearly impossible? I am however curious as to how this could be done fairly and would like to hear some opinions.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 9:27 pm 

Maybe with new sellers EBay could hold the buyers funds until the buyer receives what he bought. Do it that way until seller has a hundred or so auctions completed and some feedback for potential buyers to refer to.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 9:37 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
radiotvnut wrote:
Ebay really needs to set a "happy medium" where the truly dishonest sellers get punished; but, the scammers can't use the system to get something for nothing.

You are really proposing that the company that steals and resells goods thru' their Global Shipping Program is going to be the good guy in this ???

Face it .... they've crunched the numbers and they take the most cost effective route .... every time.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 1:56 am 

Unfortunately there are dishonest people out there. Perhaps they pay with bad Kama causing misfortune.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 2:07 am 

Even if you did understand what makes such people tick, what difference will it make?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 2:46 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Maybe with new sellers EBay could hold the buyers funds until the buyer receives what he bought. Do it that way until seller has a hundred or so auctions completed and some feedback for potential buyers to refer to.

eBay actually did, and perhaps still does, do something like that, but the cutoff is 25 transactions. They froze the payment so the seller could not access it until a certain time limit, I think it was 3 weeks from date of payment.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 5:39 pm 

In my 21 years on eBay I have only dealt with one seller who did not ship my item. The seller had all good feedback, but after a few weeks had passed and no shipment I looked at their account and noticed that they had many new negatives from buyers stating that their items never shipped. I filed a claim and got my money back. Something happened to the seller (passed away, prison, who knows).

John Bartley wrote:
radiotvnut wrote:

You are really proposing that the company that steals and resells goods thru' their Global Shipping Program is going to be the good guy in this ???

Face it .... they've crunched the numbers and they take the most cost effective route .... every time.

Well, they do reimburse the buyer and the seller still gets paid... so the buyer gets cheated out of his item but nobody looses money. :? The whole Global Shipping Confiscation Program just leaves me scratching my head. You would think they could just program their software so that international buyers can not even buy "restricted" items if the seller is using the GSP. That would mostly eliminate the need for them to confiscate these items as the sales would not be possible, probably saving them millions. The person/business who resells the confiscated items, I wonder if they are associated with eBay or simply a 3rd party who has some deal in place to acquire these items and liquidate them? Somewhere in the process eBay has to be loosing money on this... you'd think the bean counters would have been all over that by now.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 7:13 pm 

Jeremy S wrote:
Well, they do reimburse the buyer and the seller still gets paid... so the buyer gets cheated out of his item but nobody looses money. :?

I don't understand how this ^^^ can be accepted so willing as an excuse ..... I guess maybe because the people posting here would primarily be sellers who got paid regardless of what happened to their customer and couldn't give a rats ass about whether or not the sale they made gets completed according to the terms they agreed to.

Suppose you were the buyer, and you found, bought and paid for an existing "one of a kind" item. This is an item that you had been searching for for years and you finally found it .... and at a price that you could afford, so you completed the deal.

Then the shipping company, without even following a route thru the courts to establish their right to do so, simply took your item away from you, gave it to someone else to sell again, gave you your money back and told you go away and quit whining ..... what would you call it?

I call it theft .... blatant, illegal theft .... period.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 8:49 pm 

I was very confused about what you are talking about and had to search the web for it. So: All countries have all kinds of rules about what is allowed to be shipped in, which are compiled into lists. And the third-party people handling global shipping are not paid enough to deal with nuance or make judgment calls about whether something that may or may not be on the list should go through. Kind of similar to TSA agents in the US.

So they order the buyer's money refunded (which is an improvement on TSA, which just keeps your things without reimbursement) and refuse to forward the item. Then (also similar to the TSA) they sell off all the stuff they've accumulated, because what else are they going to do with it?

The moral of the story being, if you are a buyer of an unusual good and you are not in the same country as the seller, either communicate with the seller to figure out an agreeable method of transport that won't break any rules in either country, or you'll have to do without it.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 8:57 pm 

Paul Dietenberger wrote:
The moral of the story being, if you are a buyer of an unusual good and you are not in the same country as the seller, either communicate with the seller to figure out an agreeable method of transport that won't break any rules in either country, or you'll have to do without it.

I fully agree with this above, but what raised my attention level about this activity by eBay were the posts by members of this forum complaining about having tubes seized and radios seized because they contain tubes. And yet .... those same members can ship those same tubes completely legally to that same buyer.

I didn't read the GSP rules, but some of the posts contained references to those rules and it seems that eBay is big enough that it can err on the side of caution with impunity.

Anyway .... I think that's enough hijack for now ...

PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 10:09 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Jeremy S wrote:
Well, they do reimburse the buyer and the seller still gets paid... so the buyer gets cheated out of his item but nobody looses money. :?

I don't understand how this ^^^ can be accepted so willing as an excuse ..... I guess maybe because the people posting here would primarily be sellers who got paid regardless of what happened to their customer and couldn't give a rats ass about whether or not the sale they made gets completed according to the terms they agreed to.

Suppose you were the buyer, and you found, bought and paid for an existing "one of a kind" item. This is an item that you had been searching for for years and you finally found it .... and at a price that you could afford, so you completed the deal.

Then the shipping company, without even following a route thru the courts to establish their right to do so, simply took your item away from you, gave it to someone else to sell again, gave you your money back and told you go away and quit whining ..... what would you call it?

I call it theft .... blatant, illegal theft .... period.

Yeah John, but what recourse does the seller have in this type of situation? None.

And although you may consider it theft, technically I don't think it really is, as they are paying both buyer and seller, so there is no financial loss.

That is the key component to a charge of theft.