Nice ~1933 Australian console w/ clock

Want to discuss (or just gripe) about Ebay, CraigsList and other online auction and internet sales sites? Here's the place. Links to your own auctions/sales and ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Lou deGonzague

palegreenthumb
Apr Sun 01, 2012 8:55 pm
Seattle, WA

Nice ~1933 Australian console w/ clock

Post by palegreenthumb »

I wonder if this was a regular production model, or was it a 3rd party cabinet maker?

Very cool cabinet with the two lighted panels, the clock, the art deco accents, the brass grille insert...

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/ ... D049A2BAB/" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Australian_console_0.JPG
Australian_console_1.JPG
Australian_console_2.JPG
Rodney -- KG7EPW
Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with a chainsaw.
zenith82
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Baltimore, MD

Re: Nice ~1933 Australian console w/ clock

Post by zenith82 »

Very cool cabinet. You can definitely see the British influence in the design.

There can't be many of these in the US.
Tom

PM me for my email address
palegreenthumb
Apr Sun 01, 2012 8:55 pm
Seattle, WA

Post by palegreenthumb »

There may not be any of these stateside, Tom.

This one is in Sydney, Australia.
zenith82
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Baltimore, MD

Post by zenith82 »

palegreenthumb wrote:There may not be any of these stateside, Tom.

This one is in Sydney, Australia.
That makes sense, then. I didn't notice the set was in Australia.

Although you don't see them often, Aussie consoles appear in the US once in a blue moon. I have a late '30s Rolls console that I picked up in DC many years ago. It allegedly belonged to a diplomat who was in DC during WWII.
Tom

PM me for my email address
Indiana Radios
Sep Thu 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Carmel, Indiana

Post by Indiana Radios »

I have several illustrated books covering Aussie and New Zeeland radios of the 20s and 30s and that radio definitely looks like an Aussie production radio. The pearlite on the upper portion of the cabinet is the best giveaway. Pearlite was commonly used on Aussie and New Zeeland radio dials. In the case of this radio, it was used on the cabinet. Also, the spiky geometric designs on the upper corners of the cabinet were of a style that was more heavily used on Aussie and New Zealand radios then on American radios.
Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com
westcoastjohn
Dec Sat 24, 2011 8:17 pm
Qualicum Beach, Canada

Post by westcoastjohn »

That is a Viking ship in the grill pattern. They would have been aways off course in the South Pacific, no?
It certainly is a beauty. 8)

The Viking brand name was used by the T. Eaton's department stores in Canada, starting in 1929. Or before that. They relied heavily on mail order sales in those days. I'm not saying this radio was shipped from Canada, because we don't know that at all.
It seems likely per Michael's post that the cabinet is Australian, and there is no evidence of the T. Eaton's Company doing business there.
There is one example of a Canadian 1929 Viking radio at radiomuseum, built by the King company.

By the mid 1930's, Eaton's stores were selling Viking radios built by Dominion Electrohome.
The logo is a Viking ship viewed from the same angle. maybe because it is most dramatic at that angle?
Read the War Diaries: A Radio Amateur in Kyiv, Stalemate by Volodymyr Gurtovy
[:l>I
You must be register and login to post a reply.