Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 8:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Popular Electronics 1955 "One Tube Wallop"
PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 5:47 am 

Attachment:
Pop 1955 One Tube Wallop.pdf [353.01 KiB]
Downloaded 60 times
Hi Folks, I've built this radio twice and I'm still not happy with it, I'm sure of the construction. I make mistakes but even I'm not that dumb. I have poor volume at best and the 1955 project article says it should power easily a 3-ohn speaker, also with a 10-foot antenna which again should be ok for a few stations I receive WBZ Boston which so powerful that a piece of wire can hear, I struggle to hear 3 stations.

Any help would be appreciated I've include two copies of the original article.
Tony

Post subject: Re: Popular Electronics 1955 "One Tube Wallop"
PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 6:16 am 

Hello Tony,
anyway looks like it should be a nice build how is your ground or did you ground it to earth ground .

Sincerely Rich

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 7:32 am 

Popular Electronic construction articles weren't always the best. I built a tube set in 1959 from one of their projects and never could get the damn thing to work. I even had my electric shop teacher review it, and he couldn't figure it out either.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 11:38 am 

Hi Rich, I use a cold water pipe for a ground that's the only way I get any signal at all however, I didn't mention that per the instructions to align ask for an RF Generator to be placed at the antenna & Ground connection. Set the radio to 1600
khz and drive a signal through, I couldn't do that.

I double-checked the generator and it's working fine, I also went over the schematic just to see if a wire was placed wrong and I couldn't find it? Well I hope this helps and again Thanks So Much

Tony

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 12:46 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
To my eye it looks like a pretty poor radio. There's a tuned RF tank, but no RF amp because the tank feeds directly to a diode section of the tube. That's followed by two stages of audio. In my opinion you'd be better off to use a dual function tube (triode pentode or even double triode) for audio and do your detecting with a crystal. The way this set is built, unless your tank circuit is well built(hi Q), it's not going to "select" well.

Attachment:
triple.JPG
triple.JPG [ 160.5 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 12:45 am 

One suggestion that might help a little. The antenna input VC is just 3~30pF. That's OK for SW but too small for MW BC. Especially with a short antenna. Try putting a larger cap across that (100pF~470pF). That should increase the signal level. It might even work to simply connect your antenna directly to the tank; after all, it's basically just a crystal diode with audio amplification.

Rob

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:53 am 

It's basically a tube version of a crystal set, with a two-stage audio amplifier. It will have all of the reception problems of any crystal set; you'll need a good antenna and ground. Are you using a standard antenna coil?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 3:47 am 

If you are interested in a one tube radio with the same tube perhaps consider one of these?

The first is a regen with a single audio stage and the other is a TRF with a single RF stage, detector and audio amplifier.

http://makearadio.com/tube/1d8-sw.php

http://onetuberadio.com/2015/02/25/one- ... iver-1945/

PostPosted: Sep Tue 17, 2019 3:03 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
It's basically a tube version of a crystal set, with a two-stage audio amplifier. It will have all of the reception problems of any crystal set; you'll need a good antenna and ground. Are you using a standard antenna coil?

I agree. When I saw the Miller 6300 coil it reminded me of the Alfred P. Morgan crystal set I built. Reception was lousy, even with an amplified speaker. This One Tube Wallop is basically the same setup as the crystal set and amp.