Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 19, 2021 4:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Electroluminescent panel lighting
PostPosted: Dec Tue 01, 2020 3:44 am 

I just found this EM panel at Electronic Goldmine for $1.49. https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/ ... 1-60042862

It's 4.2" x 0.77" x 0.03".

What are the dimensions of your existing panel?

PostPosted: Dec Tue 01, 2020 4:14 am 

I saw that myself. Too small.

Main issue I have is that I have absolutely no idea how bright the panel would have originally been.

I do need to re-do the raised lettering on the clear plastic dial though.

Plus if I did something like use a different panel, the color would have to be a near exact match. I'm sort of picky like that sometimes.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 04, 2021 2:58 pm 

Not sure how I came across this, but I found the following.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/rad ... qDnWuUx__M

At work I have a variable frequency AC supply and set it at 115Vrms 1KHz. The panel seems bright enough at least to light the dial at night once I get the numbers repainted.

So I ordered that inverter. Will mount it in the case I have the power supply for the radio in and make a 12 volt regulator. I'll then install a jack on the radio which the panel will connect to.

I never did send the panel off to be redone as I didn't have the money at the time.

But at some point I will have to send it off to be redone.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 04, 2021 8:00 pm 

You may not have to send it away to be redone. You can buy multiple Goldmine panels, cut them and overlay them make them the size you need. You can expect a thin line at the edge of the overlay to be visible when looking directly at it. However, it will be behind the dial, which likely defocuses the line, making it less visible or invisible. And looking at the picture of your dial, I see several places where the overlap line could be obscured. The only downside I see is that you'd need a driver for each panel you use.

You mentioned you have no idea the original brightness. Some driver are variable PWM so you get variable brightness tuned to your liking.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 04, 2021 8:21 pm 

I could do that but unless its the exact shade of the original panel it won't be right.

Also the place I'd send it to specializes in restoring the electroluminescent panels some vintage cars have.

However if once I repaint the numbers on the dial the panel is bright enough for viewing at night which was its intended purpose then I'll leave well enough alone.

If the panel is no use during the day I may put a switch on the ammo can the radio's power transformer is in so I can turn the panel on when needed which may prolong its life.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2021 10:56 am 

Macrohenry wrote:
Tube Radio wrote:
I'd definitely be interested in that circuit.

Here it is. Note that you won't need the two caps and coil in the output filter. Mine was made of a Radio Shack transformer that was not quite resonant at 60 Hz, but it lights up a regular 40 watt incandescent bulb and powered a 120 volt tuner I adapted to my car. The resistors get pretty warm. There are better designs out there, but this should be good enough for proof of concept. A better design would be to employ feedback windings in a transformer, which would run cooler than these power resistors.

I don't rember the exact circuit now; but back when I was in high school, I ran across a half-page article, I think in either PE or EI, detailing how to build a gimcracky you could use to "shock" your friends with. As I recall, it used a TO-3 PNP germanium in a low-frequency oscillator that ran from a single D-cell; but the really nice thing was it used a small audio output transformer. You could solder this thing together in a few minutes and put it all inside a toilet paper tube. Then you wrapped two strips of aluminum foil, one around each end, and connected them to the primary of the transformer. You held a toggle switch at the end of a couple wires a few feet long and told your friend to hold the TP tube, then hit the toggle switch. (If you really wanted a spanking or sent to your room without supper, you'd build it in a paper towel tube, turn it on, and just lay it on the kitchen counter right when mom was making supper :shock: . If you wanted a beating, you'd hand it to your big sister or brother :evil: . *I* was the big brother; so I never got a beating, but I did get sent to my room without supper a few times. :( ) They'd get a jolt, not unlike the one you get when you hold onto the leads of a transformer when you disconnect it from a D-cell :twisted:

I built onna those one time then after shocking (and losing) a few friends at school, wondered whether it'd run a light bulb; shore nuff, it lit a nightlite bulb just fine. I actually carried it around the house for a couple days until the battery went dead :(

SteveH

PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2021 8:21 am 

The "tickle stick" article was in Popular Electronics, February 1966. Very simple circuit.
R/ John

PostPosted: Jan Fri 08, 2021 3:56 am 

I once built a small circuit using an audio transformer and SPDT relay with the relay wired to where its coil was in series with the NC contacts. Created a nice pulse of HV on the transformer secondary.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 09, 2021 11:38 pm 

Dig the HV supply out of this???

https://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-insect-swatter-62540.html

Rich

PostPosted: Jan Sat 09, 2021 11:42 pm 

The supply came in yesterday.

Will test it on the panel Monday.

Ill also use a scope to see what type of waveform is being put out.

If its a sinewave that's good.

If its anything else I may not be able to use it as the radio is sensitive to things like that as I can hold my cellphone near the amp section and hear noise from it in the speaker.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 14, 2021 2:21 am 

So I tried the driver and while it worked (can vary the voltage a little above 12Vdc for higher brightness) the light was more blue in color so that would not work.

I then thought of this.

Why not use a Triad N-68X isolation transformer to produce the voltage for the panel. I could then install a switch after the main power switch to turn it on and off. That way the panel is only on when needed which even when restored will prolong its life.

I also thought of using one of the two primary windings of the toroidal power transformer which if all it was powering was the radio would work, but the other secondary also powers a USB port capable of 2A which usually has a bluetooth receiver plugged in, but I have often used it to charge my cellphone when I only had one power outlet to use.