Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: This kid paid attention in shop class...
PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 6:30 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ISU2ZhzsY

Nice work I'd say.

Dan

Post subject: Re: This kid paid attention in shop class...
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 8:13 pm 

For the record, if you are using a table saw: 1.) Never have your hands behind the blade. 2.) Small square pieces of wood are extremely dangerous and for cutting those, you should use either a miter fence or a jig or a push stick. I cringe when I watch people using table saws and they make the mistakes shown in that video. 90% of injuries caused by a table saw are from kick-backs--pieces of wood (usually the off-fall) being caught by the blade and kicked back out the front of the saw. If a person's hand is near the piece being ejected, it can be pulled through the blade. That saw tooth tip speed is about 110 MPH and there is no way to react fast enough to keep yourself from injury.

Norm

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 10:47 pm 

I only skimmed the video, but I would never cut a small block like that as Norm stated. I disagree that a push stick is good enough, you need a miter guide or better yet, a miter saw which would have eliminated the circular saw and the filing. It is too easy for the piece of wood to cock slightly counterclockwise and the blade will violently throw that block at you.

The safety issue starts at 42 seconds into the video.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:26 pm 

The reason I say "push stick" and the pushing stick can take many forms--but at the minimum, it should be designed to keep your fingers away from the blade. There is nothing wrong with having fingers near the blade--but a person must understand the rules for safety in those situations. I spent 15 years milling parts for cabinets and furniture on a 12" Davis and Wells. You only need to make a mistake once every couple years to know the reason that safety rules can never be broken. Of all the furniture and cabinet making operations, the milling is by far my favorite--but it is also the most dangerous.

One of my projects pictured below. It won the '87 Newport to Ensenada Race PHRF and I still sail on Tuesday nights around the bay.

Norm

Attachments:
nj.jpg
nj.jpg [ 273.84 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 1:09 am 

Norm Johnson wrote:

One of my projects pictured below. It won the '87 Newport to Ensenada Race PHRF and I still sail on Tuesday nights around the bay.

Does it come with a boatanchor?

PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 5:32 pm 

This kid definitely did NOT pay attention! I taught shop for many years and one of the first things taught is to crosscut with the miter guide and rip with the fence. Small pieces like this make it 10 times more dangerous without the miter guide. Use the guide only, and back the fence out of the way for short pieces. His bad habits, if not changed, will cost him eventually.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 17, 2019 7:00 pm 

Always, always, always use a pusher stick for small work! Don't lean towards the saw, when you are using it. Keep the height of the blade only as high as necessary.