Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 25, 2019 5:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: cub scout 1 tube 1955
PostPosted: Mar Wed 05, 2008 10:06 pm 

http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/REGEN/regen.html
------------------------------------------------------------
I stumbled across a link for my original cub scout radio while surfing the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 05, 2008 10:24 pm 

Hi Bill

The first one tube radio I built was out of a Cub Scout book. It used a 1S5 tube. I didn't have a good one but was able to make a 1U5 work. They looked the same just different pin out. Your radio would be better using a 3Q4 but draws more current.

I didn't even have a tube socket. Just drilled holes in wood to match the pins. Put wires in the holes and with tube inserted made connection. I would break drills at the time so often used small nails to drill holes in wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 06, 2008 2:07 am 

I still have my Cub Scout manuals, and I remember that set very well. I wanted to build one, but the "instructions" in the Cub Scout book were useless, and no one in the family knew anything about radio. If I'd realized you could buy the kit from Sears, I might have done that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 06, 2008 2:39 am 
Silent Key

My older cousin who was a boy scout by then got a monthly magazine from the boy scouts, but I can't remember its name offhand. But while visiting them one day, I was going thru the magazines and found a set that used a 1G4 tube. I was pretty young at the time, maybe 9 years old, or so. When we got home after the weekend visit, I went to the radio repair place and asked if they had any 1G4 tubes, and of course they didn't.

Not to be daunted, I looked in my precious stash of treasures, which was in a shoebox and found a globe 26 tube with a sticker on it that said it was tested as good in 1932. Heck a filament type triode is a filament type triode right?

I did not know the slightest thing about the current its filament took, but in the tube manual I borrowed from the neighbor, it said 1.5 volts for the filament. That was exactly what my precious #6 dry cell put out! No worries about a tube that was rated at 1.4 volts like the 1G4 was. I had a genuine tube that operated at 1.5 volts!

I built the set in a cigar box and it worked perfectly. Only problem is that my folks were a bit concerned when they had to buy me a new #6 dry cell every couple weeks from the local hardware store!

Aaah, what we didn't know back then. Heck, if it didn't hurt us or cause anybody any harm, who cared? Just a bit of trivia from my youth.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 06, 2008 2:53 am 

My memory thinking back on the cub scout radio build was that I was like Norm's real story. Get rid of the bad 1U5, replace it with the good 3Q4, holes in wood with wires stuck in them, etc. However, the reality check was when I spotted the sears box (not the radio it's long gone) in my mothers attic recently. So it turns out I was spoiled with a fail safe sears kit and never really built it from scratch from the cub scout manual. It at least got me homebrewing other very low tech things later with fanestock clips and wood. Incidently, the 3 local radio repair shops all carried the 22 & 1/2 volt battery in 1955 so I had no problem with that. No one in my family knew radio's either but I could get elmered at those radio shops. I may have even known who the boy scout radio merit badge counselor was in the neighborhood by then even though I was not yet a boy scout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 06, 2008 5:51 am 

Quote:
My older cousin who was a boy scout by then got a monthly magazine from the boy scouts, but I can't remember its name offhand.

That would be Boy's Life. It arrives here each month for my son.

That is a cool radio project. I am a merit badge counelor for Electronics. That may be a possible project.

Paul P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 09, 2008 5:24 am 

This takes me back. I built this radio from an old Cub Scout book I ran across when I was in the 7th grade. The school wood shop teacher cut a scrap of plywood to size for the base, and one of my neighbors who was a broadcast engineer furnished the headphones, B battery, hookup wire and some help with the soldering. I may have got the tube from him also, but don't remember for sure. With a length of wire tacked to the basement ceiling for an antenna and a ground wire to a gas pipe, it would pick up WHAS (50 kw clear channel) over most of the tuning capacitor's range during the day. Later I added a 1 stage audio amplifier using a 1T4. This just about doubled the current drain from the batteries without noticeably improving performance. I still have the set today and may one day return it to its original 1 tube configuration just to see what it would do with a good outdoor long wire antenna.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 09, 2008 5:47 am 

There is one Scout radio project in the manuals that had an obvious error before publication that could never work. I don't recall which exact one but its something to keep in mind if problems are encountered.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 02, 2014 3:55 pm 

HiramRadio wrote:
There is one Scout radio project in the manuals that had an obvious error before publication that could never work. I don't recall which exact one but its something to keep in mind if problems are encountered.

Hello,
The Lion 2-tube radio project had errors in the pictorial layout. Also, the two resistors identified as 3.3K should have been 3.3M. I recently studied this project, corrected the errors and built a set. I substituted a 1N5GT for the 1U4 and a 3Q5GT for the 3Q4. These octal-base tubes are electrically almost identical to the miniature tubes.

This set works great. It picks up many stations. I use a "Select-A-Tenna" passive preselector to provide improved selectivity. I can listen to Lakers, Clippers, and Dodgers games, each on a different station. I prepared a video discussion of the errors in the manual, redrawn schematics, and a demonstration of my version, available here.

Attachments:
File comment: My build of the Lion Cub Scout 2 tube radio set, Elective 4
DSC01373cropped55.jpg
DSC01373cropped55.jpg [ 218.72 KiB | Viewed 7188 times ]
File comment: Redrawn Schematic for Lion Cub Scouts Elective 4, Two Tube Radio Set
CubScout2TubeOrigResized.png
CubScout2TubeOrigResized.png [ 75.79 KiB | Viewed 7188 times ]

Last edited by random73 on Oct Wed 26, 2016 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: cub scout 1 tube 1955
PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2015 8:48 pm 

I built the 2 tube Cub/Boy Scout radio kit around that time, too. It was similar to the 1 tube radio that started this thread, but I'm sure it was not branded Air Champ. It had a 3Q4 for the output and used 2-D cells and a 90 volt ($3.95!) battery. I think the detector was also a 3Q4.

The construction was similar, fahnstock clips on plywood, slide-in tickler coil for regeneration, wires presoldered to components where needed. It was housed in its cardboard shipping box which had a fold-out carrying handle section. The 4 inch speaker was mounted to the box, control shafts stuck out through the box, and there was even a bass-reflex rectangle to cut out.

It picked up all our local daytime stations (500-5000 watts within 15 miles) with reasonable volume. I listened to it for hours and hours and the 90 volt battery lasted about a year.

A friend was disappointed that it wasn't very loud and suggested I add a volume control. I never could explain it to him, but I kept trying.

I have no idea where that radio is now.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2015 7:13 pm 

I like transistors. They can't bite.

I've posted a two-transistor regen in this forum that has on
occasion picked up a station at every point on the BCB dial
and always gets more than a dozen ... nicely on a speaker albeit,
I must admit, only on an Atwater-Kent E-2 (or a Klipschorn :lol: ).
It has a regen RF stage, 1N34 detector, and audio. The regen
coil and control are in the emitter circuit.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 14, 2015 12:15 am 

dtvmcdonald wrote:

I've posted a two-transistor regen in this forum

Can you post the schematic again?

PostPosted: Mar Sat 14, 2015 1:23 am 

fifties wrote:
dtvmcdonald wrote:

I've posted a two-transistor regen in this forum

Can you post the schematic again?

I think this is the one.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... r#p2252453

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Sat 14, 2015 8:56 am 

Thank you, Dave.

I see that I posted in that thread as well...

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 3:35 am 

I just found the box that this kit in. Anyone like to have it?
edit It's called "official scout radio kit". It's sears no. 1804

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 8:43 am 

hello bill
wow thats great and what a fun little project to build and guy named random73 really went beyond and built a very cool set that any you boy or old guy like me would enjoy

I see this as a great project for young and old

PostPosted: Jun Sun 07, 2015 3:04 pm 

radiorich wrote:
I see this as a great project for young and old

Thanks, I thought so, too. A .pdf of my write-up may be downloaded from here. It includes the schematic for the 1N5/3Q5 variation that I built, a photo and diagram of the interface with the Select-A-Tenna preselector, and a log of all the stations and their powers/distances that I have picked up so far.

You can make your own Select-A-Tenna. It is just an additional tuned circuit that is loosely coupled to the radio's front-end inductor. The antenna-ground circuit is inductively coupled to the preselector. I use it to improve selectivity and to back off strong local stations (better sound quality). I have parts to make another set that gangs both tuned circuits together, using a dual 400pf tuning capacitor.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 08, 2015 12:14 am 

random73 wrote:
Thanks, I thought so, too. A .pdf of my write-up may be downloaded from here. It includes the schematic for the 1N5/3Q5 variation that I built, a photo and diagram of the interface with the Select-A-Tenna preselector, and a log of all the stations and their powers/distances that I have picked up so far.

Verrry interesting! I'm tempted to build one myself! Just FYI, I had built a 23" diameter tunable loop, and one evening connected a 1N64 diode and small Rat Shack amp to it. Logged 17 stations, including a few DXers... :wink: