Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Harman Kardon FL 8300 CD player
PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 4:36 am 

Ive had this for at least 6 years, a friend at work was gonna put it in the dumpster so I saved it. It worked great untill the other day when the disk tray got pulled completely out. :roll: The machine will open and close now but the disk holder doesn't rotate like before and I get an error on the display.

Dumpster time ? Thanks , Dave

Post subject: Re: Harman Kardon FL 8300 CD player
PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 5:49 am 

Gear timing is probably wrong now; does the tray go in completely? You may have to experiment by adjusting the gears one tooth at a time.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 12:13 pm 

Couple things come to mind:

Damaged or misaligned sensor/switch that tells the unit when the tray is properly closed.

Damaged laser — was there a CD in it at the time the tray got pulled out? Does the tray eject by itself? Is the error "no CD" or something else?

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 2:37 pm 

Tons of them in Goodwill for cheap....Save the repair aggravation for a more deserving project.... :D

PostPosted: Oct Sat 31, 2020 11:53 am 

Possibly a slipping belt on the tray drive ... may not be closing it ALL the way and therefore not tripping the sensor. Possible if it's a switch, not a sensor, that the contacts are in need of cleaning.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 31, 2020 3:54 pm 

Vin Tageman wrote:
Couple things come to mind:

Damaged or misaligned sensor/switch that tells the unit when the tray is properly closed.

Damaged laser — was there a CD in it at the time the tray got pulled out? Does the tray eject by itself? Is the error "no CD" or something else?

The tray seems to closing all the way. All the display says is ' error ' Yes, the tray opens & closes as before, just the actual disk holder used to rotate as the tray went in and out, now it doesn't move at all.

I've tried taking out and reinserting the tray a few times with no luck.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 31, 2020 8:53 pm 

Well, I routinely see plastic gears either split, lose teeth, or completely disintegrate... sounds like possibly what's going on if there is only half the motion happening that is expected. Plastics used in these type devices don't withstand the test of 50 years reliably.

You'd have to poke and peek around in the mechanism to see what is supposed to be happening, and why it's not. If some motor is simply not rotating, you are probably out of luck. Likely a control issue or the motor in that case. But if it's just part of a mechanism moving, and the rest not, something just snapped.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 31, 2020 11:24 pm 

neondave wrote:
just the actual disk holder used to rotate as the tray went in and out, now it doesn't move at all.

Oh ok, so the carousel itself doesn't turn. I assume from the OP that the tray was forcefully pulled out, for whatever reason, and then the unit started having problems. If it was pulled out against its will, then the obvious answer is that something got damaged, likely a gear as has been mentioned.

Whether it's repairable depends on whether you can obtain parts. Whether it's worth repairing is something only you can decide. It won't be worth much if you're looking to sell it in working condition.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0

PostPosted: Nov Sun 15, 2020 6:25 am 

Vin Tageman wrote:
neondave wrote:
just the actual disk holder used to rotate as the tray went in and out, now it doesn't move at all.

Oh ok, so the carousel itself doesn't turn. I assume from the OP that the tray was forcefully pulled out, for whatever reason, and then the unit started having problems. If it was pulled out against its will, then the obvious answer is that something got damaged, likely a gear as has been mentioned.

Whether it's repairable depends on whether you can obtain parts. Whether it's worth repairing is something only you can decide. It won't be worth much if you're looking to sell it in working condition.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0

Ok, after looking at this again , it was the ribbon cable that plugs into motor that runs the carousel, it came unplugged . :oops: It's back together and so far its working. We'll see for how long.

Thank you