Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 25, 2021 12:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can not find online
PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 3:03 pm 

I am trying to sell this for my boss. All i know about it is that its a Morse Solid State am-fm-fm multiplex stereo receiver. I can not find any values, pictures or any information i need. Can any one help me or send me in the right direction?

Attachments:
Vintage console (outside).jpg
Vintage console (outside).jpg [ 422.48 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
vintage console (inside).jpg
vintage console (inside).jpg [ 392.86 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
vintage console (back hookups).jpg
vintage console (back hookups).jpg [ 539.83 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
vintage console (back numbers).jpg
vintage console (back numbers).jpg [ 484.66 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

Post subject: Re: Can not find online
PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 6:19 pm 

I used to work for a dealer that sold those things back in the 70's and 80's. They were very low cost and quality. Hate to tell you this, but it really isn't worth very much at all in my opinion. That record changer might be of some value and the red record might be too!

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 6:30 pm 

Agree that Morse is entry level stuff, typically sold by discount stores like K-Mart and the like. There is just about zero interest among serious collectors for those bargain brands since there is a plentiful supply of far better sets available.

The white cabinet and the fake "French Provincial" style of furniture is totally killing any possible value that it might have otherwise had, but even if it were walnut and a more conventional design it still wouldn't be worth much or of any interest to 99% of people looking for vintage stereo consoles because of the low quality electronics inside.

In many parts of the country, thrift stores and charities have intentionally avoided taking such sets as they know from past experience the entry level brands and bizarre cabinet colors and styles can be next to impossible for them to sell. One of the local charities used to line up the undesirable ones like this outside on the sidewalk, free for the taking, and almost none were ever rescued by prospective owners.

Best option is to put it on your local Craigslist or Facebook marketplace at a $25 to $50 starting price and be very willing to negotiate downward, or even to give it to anyone who might respond to the ad.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 6:46 pm 

In my neck of the woods you have to pay someone for that to be taken away.

Greg.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 6:50 pm 

Town furniture disposal fee $25...

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 7:31 pm 

You can probably sell it some sucker, labeling it as Rare.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 2:12 am 

It "may" have some value to someone that had one as a kid, and wants the piece of furniture. As collector fodder, it's worthless. So, I tend to agree that Craigslist may be the best place to see what you can do .... it certainly won't be worth the cost of shipping so you're going to have to look local only.

best of luck

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 5:12 am 

When I saw the first picture, I thought it was a mini bar for a cat house. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 9:02 am 

The furniture is so kitchy and distasteful that some day in the future it will be considered as representative of typical mid-70ies Domestic Design Art. These early-seventies monstrosities will be very appreciated by the next generation of collectors (or not). Don't trash it, maybe it will worth a small fortune one day. You only have to wait... 20 to 30 years !
I'm not joking, look at some ultra expensive and collectable radios today which (IMO) are also ugly and distasteful but nevertheless reach top $$$ 's. I personally don't think that the famous Bar Radio (with assorted glasses set !) is a better looking or more tasteful design, it's just rare (and ugly).

Still, the current value of your Hi-Fi (?) furniture is negative , meaning that YOU have to pay someone to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 9:34 am 

manualman wrote:
When I saw the first picture, I thought it was a mini bar for a cat house. :mrgreen:

Shows the sophistication level of cat houses you frequent. The joints I go to have Oak bars... :wink:

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 12:54 pm 

It has too many things going against it:

Large, heavy piece of furniture
Unattractive cabinet
Undesirable brand name
Entry level components
Cheap turntable

The fact that it has an 8-track player dates it to the 1970's when quality had all but disappeared in console stereos so to be honest, you'd be lucky to find someone to take it much less to pay for the privilege.

Larry

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 7:38 pm 

Oh fifties, you made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2021 9:58 pm 

This is what sells for the big bucks: https://thevintedgeco.com/

What the young people are paying the big bucks for are the Midcentury Modern or Dutch Modern styled console stereos (with Bluetooth installed) to go with their Ikea furniture. Good examples can easly sell for over $1000 if they work properly and have Bluetooth installed. Notice how Bluetooth is a key selling point. Trust me, NOBODY is looking for French Proventil console stereo systems, especially ones that lack Bluetooth. I think many of the young people, today, look at French Proventil sort of as an "old people style". You'd be lucky to be able to sell it in the low double digits. I think you'd be best off just donating it to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or to some antique mall.