Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 23, 2022 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sony TC-630
PostPosted: Feb Sat 26, 2022 3:07 pm 

Ghostrepeater wrote:
Hello I have recently acquired a lovely Sony TC-630.
The Fast Forward seemed to stop working and I also got that slow start up happening.
So I took off the front plate and lubed with what we have here in the UK 3in1 oil.
It seems to have helped, but first I wanted to ask if that is OK to use, it is like a general purpose oil for bicycles and household stuff? 3-in-1 oil is not usually recommended for this. If you can get turbine oil (Ace Hardware here has it), that's much better. Clean out all the old oil and re-oil with a very small amount of turbine oil

Secondly I am a bit confused about where to put one drop or three. I am an amateur at all this and I can only really say for certain that I know which bit is the capstan and which bit is the pinch roller. The service manual should tell you where to put oil, but in this deck I doubt you'd have to take anything or any motors apart. I'd not worry about capacitors yet, unless something is not working and re-lubing it fails to restore it to working condition. The internet is all full of hype on capacitors, people shrieking about replacing all of them... but I work on these all the time and this is never the case. Sometimes a few, but never all. I have had a few motor capacitors go open however.

I will post some pics. I don't have any knowledge on capacitors or motor overhaul. I am hoiping that thiis Sony has had so little use that it is good for a number of years.

PS the people that fix these units here say that the idlers(?) go and are unreplacable, any ideas if that might be an issue. Some idlers can be replaced (just google them), and the rest can be rebuilt. There are a few companies that specialize in this. I'd try a thorough cleaning of all rubber parts with isopropyl alcohol first....reclean them until no black stuff comes off in your rag or Q tip. however if they are hard as a rock, or gooey, they will need replacement.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 26, 2022 3:25 pm 

Barry pretty much summed it up. I have had a few of these and maintained my cousin's and he literally wore it out. It was one that I bought in 1970 in Germany. Rubber gets glazed and some lubrication issues. As for capacitors, the ONLY one that I have had to replace was the motor run capacitor. It can be a one or two section capacitor. Symptom? Running slowly or exploded and spewed wax all over the inside of the machine.

Your issue sure seems to be lube and/or friction. And yes, cold will affect it.

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2022 12:44 pm 

Hi,
Greetings from Cambridge U.K.

During the time when digital invaded our audio scene, I could not just stand by and watch lovely Reel-to-Reels ending up in the skip ( dumpster) so I rescued what I could. So there are eight of them stored away in various nooks and crannies. Now retired, I have a bit more time to play with them and, of course, they need some renovating.
My current project is a TC-630. It worked for a few minutes then smoke wafted out from the case.
This turned out to be the spark quencher aligned with the cam/switch that turns the motor on when the tape depresses it.
It's rated at 500v but I could not get a 500v and after some research found a 275v. This was rated up to 800v so that is what I fitted. I read that it's possible, not advisable, to remove this component and the unit will still run. This is true but every time the cam is operated it sends a spark/pip through the speakers so the quencher must be doing what it's designed to. The new part is operating normally.
It's now obvious, from reading this thread, that the motor run capacitor needs to be changed. Being in the U.K. our power is at 50 cycles so the said capacitor has a an additional connection to bring up the 1.5uf ( in the U.S.) up to the 2uf required in the U.K.
This dual rated capacitor seems to be unavailable. As the 1.5uf and 0.5uf are connected in parallel is it possible to use a 2.0uf cap instead? If yes then would I be right in assuming that any wires going to the 0.5uf terminal should be added to those going to the new caps 2.0uf terminal?

This is the first of many questions, I expect.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments:
IMG_3311.JPG
IMG_3311.JPG [ 376.72 KiB | Viewed 65 times ]

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2022 1:09 pm 

Yes a 2 uF film capacitor would work just fine and is connected as you said.