Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 10, 2020 7:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stromberg Carlson SR-405: How good is it?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 10, 2009 1:30 am 

This is my first post in this part of the forum; mostly I hang out in the old TV's and auction threads.

I recently acquired a Stromberg Carlson SR-405, an integrated "HiFi" receiver that I think dates to about 1954. It's got something like 15 tubes, AM-FM, and a number of aux inputs for various phono equalizations.

The unit is working, but just barely. Low volume and lots of distortion, so obviously needs tube checks and likely some capacitor replacement. I took a look under the chassis and there are about a million capacitors.

Before I invest the money and effort to recap this set I'd like to hear from some folks who have one of these or have heard one. Worth restoring to full glory?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 10, 2009 7:15 pm 

stromberg made some quality stuff. im not familiar with that particular set aside from pics of it. if your thinking of parting it out why not post it up in the classified section for swap or something? id definitely be interested in working a deal for it if it was up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 10, 2009 10:30 pm 

I have one in my garage hooked up to a huge bass reflex enclosure (the neighbors hate me when the door is open!). They are good sounding radios, and will perform well after re-capping.
Rabbit ears work for FM in my area, and I have used an old loop from an AA5, as well as a longwire for AM with good results.
They are LOADED with bumble bee caps, and some are difficult to replace, but if you take your time, you can have a very good radio to use every day. It is built like a brick s___house!
Go for the filter caps, and output coupling caps first, the see what you have. Don't forget to clean the switches and controls.
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 11, 2009 2:10 am 

You can find the Sams folder on my web page: http://www.Aduiophile.cjb.net/MadeInRoch.html

Of course I'd say it's worth the effort - this was high-end audio in 1954. I have its little brother - the SR-407, which makes do with 6V6 outputs and no RF stage...

Last edited by Tom Bavis on Feb Thu 12, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 11, 2009 2:57 am 

Thanks guys. I would never dream of parting out any set from 1954 unless it was beyond the basket-case stage. This one isn't: It's clean with no parts missing and as stromberg6 notes, the quality of the build is incredible.

But I was a little daunted when I saw how many caps it has and how buried some of them are. It's tougher than most vintage TVs, I think. I'm going to be conservative (i.e., "lazy") and replace just the filter and output coupling caps to see what happens.

Post subject: Re: Stromberg Carlson SR-405: How good is it?
PostPosted: May Thu 07, 2020 2:49 am 

I have an SR-405C radio and am trying to restore it. It sounds good for a 60+ year old radio. The radio cuts in and out after a while. I have several questions though. I am really use a tv antenna as an FM antenna? What is the best way to clean it?

Also, I have a 12 inch Stromberg Carlson Woofer (part number 155091-007). Can I use this to build a subwoofer?