Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 4:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Marantz 2265B selector switch repair - Fixed
PostPosted: Aug Wed 24, 2011 3:57 am 

Anyone had any success in repairing this common problem in these units? They were failing when they were just a few years old.

The selector switch shaft breaks behind the detent, leaving the thin approx 1/8" wide x 1/16" thick shaft section that passes through the rotors in the 4 switch decks disconnected. The detent clicks into place fine when turning the front panel knob, but the switch rotors never move due to the broken shaft.

This is a "printed circuit" switch assembly, with the edges of the wafers passing through the preamp PC board and soldered in place. No terminal lugs or connections of any kind on the wafers other than the PC foil. Impossible to replace with anything else due to the construction of the unit.

I would assume that the chances of finding an unbroken used one to be about zero, and not sure the switch could be replaced without damaging it when removing from and reinstalling onto the preamp PC board.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject: Re: Marantz 2265B selector switch repair
PostPosted: Aug Wed 24, 2011 4:52 pm 

If you do find a donor, don't replace the whole switch. Just remove the shaft and exchange it with the new one, no soldering.

Tom

PostPosted: Aug Wed 24, 2011 10:01 pm 

That would definitely be the best and simplest plan, if a good shaft could be found. It looks as if the front plate with the detent and shaft can be removed from the part that supports it onto the PC board in front of the switch deck wafers. There are several tabs that pass through the two metal plates, and are twisted to keep them together. Unfortunately, there are a lot of components directly in front of the function switch on the PC board which would prevent easy removal of the detent and shaft while leaving the switch wafers soldered onto the board. However, it would be easier to remove the tallest components to get clearance than it would be to try to remove the switch wafers.

But it looks like the entire preamp PC board has to be removed from the receiver no matter what method is used to repair or replace the shaft, and there are probably about 50 wire wrapped connections that would need to be undone in order to get the board out of the chassis.

I was hoping that someone had already figured out a way to repair the broken shaft, because I really don't want to pull the board out without either having that information, or having a good shaft in my hands. Definitely don't want to take it out then have to wait months or longer to find a good switch.

There's no way to identify the maker of the switch, or possibly a similar detent and shaft assembly could be found that didn't necessarily have to come out of a Marantz receiver.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 6:17 pm 

As I recall, it doesn't "break off." It's a force fit, and it simply works its way backwards until the shaft protrudes from the distal end of the rear wafer. The repair - again, as I recall - is to push it back in, and reinforce it at the point where it passes through the rear wafer with a tiny amount of glue. Use a pliable glue, and only a tiny amount, applied with a paper-clip tip or similar. DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE.

Fred
repairing audio gear since the Pleistocene

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 7:55 pm 

Thanks, Fred! Having never had one of those switches physically apart, since it is so difficult to do, I would not have thought it possible for the shaft to just slip out of position. There's no way that you could see that without disassembly since the back side of the detent is not visible.

I'll have to try that repair trick in a few days when I get the time.

I'll bet a lot of these were scrapped by unhappy owners when the switch stopped working.

Post subject: Re: Marantz 2265B selector switch repair - Fixed
PostPosted: Sep Thu 08, 2011 9:55 pm 

Fred was correct. The shaft had worked out of the detent assembly and moved visibly past the rear of the switch frame.

Once I found the proper alignment, it was much too easy to push the shaft back into the detent assembly. It doesn't seem to have any tension at all holding it into the detent, whatever it fit into up front can't be seen but has obviously worn or deteriorated to the point where it can no longer grab the shaft enough to keep it in place. I tried a dab of contact cement where the shaft passed through a rotor, but even after letting it dry a couple of days, the shaft still wanted to walk out of the detent after being switched back and forth several times.

So I came up with a permanent fix. Took an old metal strap off a small electrolytic, about 3/8" wide, cut a short section of it and made a 90 degree bend at one end. Soldered it to the rear metal frame of the switch, so the longer leg was behind the end of the shaft, trapping it in place. Works perfectly, and impossible for the shaft to move in and out. My other thought was to put some type of spring between the end of the shaft and the back panel of the receiver, pushing it in, but this was a lot easier and solved the problem in just a few minutes.

Post subject: Re: Marantz 2265B selector switch repair - Fixed
PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 2:09 am 

I see this thread is 7 years old but, want to say thank you. I'm thinking this is what has happened to my 2265B just yesterday and am amazed this was the first forum I selected from my search engine. Plan on opening the old gal up tomorrow for only the 3rd time since I bought it from a friend 35 years ago. Sure hope that's all it is and that I can perform the same fix you did, Detrola. Thanks again!