Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 22, 2019 6:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox Astro-Sonic - Year and tips?
PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 6:44 am 

Hi,

I am soon to be the proud new owner of a working Magnavox Astro-Sonic! The seller didn’t know the date/model but thought it was from the mid 70s, though after flipping through the internet I’m starting to think it might be older. I was wondering if you can help me identify the year and possibly model? I found a similar one from 1967 but am yet to find exactly the same one! I was also wondering if you have any tips/favorite websites/resources for a novice on maintaining it? The seller says it works and is great condition, but the wood looks like it has a few dings. Is it possible to sand/restrain or are there any wood treatments you’d recommend? I’m excited to get it!

Thanks,
Robin

P.s. I’m struggling to attach photos from my phone but will get on the computer and upload shortly!

Post subject: Re: Magnavox Astro-Sonic - Year and tips?
PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 7:14 am 

Here are the photos!

Attachments:
AstroSonic1.jpg
AstroSonic1.jpg [ 142.63 KiB | Viewed 1997 times ]
AstroSonic4.jpg
AstroSonic4.jpg [ 126.5 KiB | Viewed 1997 times ]
AstroSonic3.jpg
AstroSonic3.jpg [ 140.2 KiB | Viewed 1997 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 2:57 pm 

This site deals with consoles. They helped me out a few years ago with my Magnavox Console.

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/board,18.0.html

Freeman

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 4:30 pm 

Transistor set, just play it and use it. Other then a new stylus for the turntable it should be fine.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 5:47 pm 

Going by the tt design and the control panel, 1970 or 1971 model.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 5:59 pm 

I suggest you search the Magnavox ads on eBay, such as the one below from 1967. Eventually you will probably come across your model and you may even want to buy the ad.

My guess is late 1960s at the earliest. Seems like the early 60s models had the Mid-Century Modern style. Only toward the late 1960s and then into the 1970s did you see the Mediterranean style like yours.

Dennis

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 81.82 KiB | Viewed 1926 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 3:37 am 

perhaps your set is out of the era of germanium transistors. perhaps someone can confirm, but here is my experience with a monstrous beauty that I found.

this one from last summer and the one that I grew up with which belonged to my parents, both were loaded with noisy germanium transistors.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=341478&p=2863741#p2863741

steve

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 7:57 pm 

Maggy consoles were manufactured with transistors as early as 1964 or 65. I bought a tube version (one of the last) in 1964 and this model I got new was also available in a solid state then.

Attachments:
Magnavoxst654.jpg
Magnavoxst654.jpg [ 25.02 KiB | Viewed 1808 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 10:39 pm 

the handful of which i had terrible experiences with were the mid-late 60s models.

so many were loaded with germainum transistor problems. when the amplifiers had that anomaly, those big horns just emphasized the hash and noise three-fold.

the few sets that had the infamous magnavox 5 inch cone tweeters, the noise and hash was barely noticeable, but the problem still existed.

that one i posted a link to above was quite a beauty with enough power to blow the windows out of the shop. dad's set is just as big if not more powerful. his might have 4 horns in it, two on each side, i don't remember, but it is a grand daddy of a set.

one thing is for sure, upgrading to silicon transistors, redesiging, and playing around with such unforgiving solid state circuits was just not going to happen. one wrong move....and pfffssssttt with a puff of smoke, $75 or more later.

steve

PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 3:41 am 

roughly 72, it's out of the germnanium years also. I have a smaller version of this stereo.

That being said, I know someone stated earlier about caps. Mine actually needs caps, but I been lazy about changing them.

What needs to be realized that these units are approaching 50 years old. And failures are starting to show in 1970's units such as this.

Change the caps.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 5:28 pm 

Its from the 70's. Its also basically a worthless set. As such I wouldn't worry about the caps in it. Just play it and if it craps out get another.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 8:37 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Its from the 70's. Its also basically a worthless set. As such I wouldn't worry about the caps in it. Just play it and if it craps out get another.

I agree, caps seem to be the cure, but not the case many times. Components were much better in longevity then back in the 1930-1950, :) so failure rate was much lower. Good chance caps are OK. No value unless someone wants it for his/her living room, not a collectable due to size and the amount available.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 10:23 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
bobwilson1977 wrote:
Its a worthless set. Just play it and if it craps out get another.
But the green ones are nice even if they are ugly. I'm going this weekend to pick up a slightly more banged up version of the one on eBay somebody is trying to get $200 for.

Attachment:
green astro sonic 2.jpg
green astro sonic 2.jpg [ 196.72 KiB | Viewed 1698 times ]

The only reason I'm getting it is the cabinet is green all the way through vs this one is just green on the surface (piece that broke off - which they still have in a bag - proves it).

If somebody wants the brown turntable and radio out of this one they can have it. I'm putting in the green turntable and green radio they made for a couple years back in the 60s that I saved out from an earlier version of a brown one like yours that was beat up - along with an old National/Penncrest green reel to reel it has the space for but nobody ever put it in.

I'm putting it downstairs where my gramma had hers in her house with the avocado and burnt-sienna furniture, orange yellow and blue shag rug 3-street-lamp pole lights salmon-and-sea-foam-green drapes lava lamps and black-light posters.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 20, 2019 10:09 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

you guys are out of touch... the Millenials are buying these now to play their "vinyl" ! Problem is nearly all of these dont work "as found" or work poorly. The solid state units use MANY more electrolytic caps than the tube units....so you often have to shotgun out a lot of those ... they are in the signal chain too, not just power supply.
PLUS, the record changers in these get all gummed up, you have to do a fair amount of de-greasing and re-lubing. The motors need the bearings soaked in thinner and re-oiled for them to run at correct speed and not wear out the bushings.
Here is an example of what the restored ones go for on this site...
www.thevintedgeco.com see his Facebook page.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Mon 21, 2019 6:27 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
The radio chassis is of the R231 series dating 1971-1973. The changer is W821 series, maybe W822. Robin, removing the back and peeping around will reveal some dates and Model number. The cabinet style is Spanish.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 21, 2019 1:05 pm 

Mark said it all; the same thing goes for the Zenith consoles of that era, and others as well.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 22, 2019 2:47 pm 

That unit appears in the 1969 & 1970 (model 3923) and 1971 (model 3836) catalogs and is spec'd at 100 watts in 1969-1970 and 75 watts in 1971.

Attachment:
Model 3923-1.jpg
Model 3923-1.jpg [ 182.23 KiB | Viewed 1464 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Jan Tue 22, 2019 3:07 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

Would you rather them get a chinese Crosely? Even midrange 70's consoles blow those out of the water. MORSE ELECTROPHONIC even sounds better.

Ditch the BSR changer that's so popular in these units for a Garrard/VoM and you're set.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 22, 2019 5:31 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

Not so. Late sixties-early seventies Astro-Sonic's are really good units and are well prized by those folks returning to vinyl, especially TOL or near TOL units, which this is. I will agree that by the late seventies they were junk. For instance I have a 1977 console that was donated to me that puts out a whopping big 6wpc. OK for a garage set but that's about it. On the other hand I have an excellent 1968 console (30 watts) and a second one on the way, as soon as the weather cooperates and I can pick it up.

Hint: A quick way to tell the dividing line is the presence of an 8-track tape player. With few exceptions those units with 8-tracks showed significant decline in quality.

Larry

PostPosted: Jan Tue 22, 2019 6:38 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
Mark said it all; the same thing goes for the Zenith consoles of that era, and others as well.

I must be doing something wrong, then! I have a 1957 fully restored Zenith Prelude that I can't seem to find a buyer for. I listed it on this forum, no nibbles, and even tried Letgo. Local classifieds is next, although if I go that route I'll be lucky to get $50 for it, and it's really a nice unit. Sigh!!