Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 24, 2019 3:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 7:21 pm 

Do you still have the original amp and speakers?

If so what do you plan on doing with them?

Of course my advice is going to be to restore it to its original functionality as there's adapters you can get that connect to an aux input that will integrate the console into a whole house audio system far as sending audio to the console.

But if you don't want to do that, my advice would be to offer the original electronics and speakers for sale in the classifieds here. Or keep the parts stored somewhere so that if a future owner wants to they can restore it to original.

The reason I suggest restoring it is because if the trend keeps going, the console may be worth a bit of money in the future.

Far as speakers go it's not a simple pick out some speakers and drop them in the cabinet sort of thing (unless you plan on installing speakers which have their own cabinet) as you gotta figure out the cubic feet of the speaker area then find a woofer that will work good in that space and you then have to find a midrange and tweeter that will work with the woofer (omit the midrange if a two way speaker system) and you gotta find a crossover that will work and then you have to hope it all sounds good with whatever amp you use.

I haven't installed new speakers in a console, but I have built enough speakers to know that unless you know what you're doing (I'm still an amateur myself) it is best to leave the original speakers alone or just buy some in a cabinet to set behind the speaker baffles.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 5:23 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
Do you still have the original amp and speakers?

I do, everything was disassembled without ripping or tearing or breaking. And all the smaller stuff was put into a box. I think one little speaker got set aside and may be missing but i think i know where it is.

Tube Radio wrote:
If so what do you plan on doing with them?

If someone were to offer me a token they could take all the parts, but the weight is more than the worth to ship

Tube Radio wrote:
Of course my advice is going to be to restore it to its original functionality as there's adapters you can get that connect to an aux input that will integrate the console into a whole house audio system far as sending audio to the console.

No interest, the parts were already dying and i fix enough stuff at work on a regular basis that's only a few years old, i don't feel like rebuilding stuff that is older than I am.

Tube Radio wrote:
But if you don't want to do that, my advice would be to offer the original electronics and speakers for sale in the classifieds here. Or keep the parts stored somewhere so that if a future owner wants to they can restore it to original.

Again the cost of shipping and border fees are going to be worth far more than what anyone is willing to pay. And right now they are here collecting dust.

Tube Radio wrote:
The reason I suggest restoring it is because if the trend keeps going, the console may be worth a bit of money in the future.

I think it will be far more valuable as a family stereo with modern equipment for the next couple decades.

Tube Radio wrote:
Far as speakers go it's not a simple pick out some speakers and drop them in the cabinet sort of thing (unless you plan on installing speakers which have their own cabinet) as you gotta figure out the cubic feet of the speaker area then find a woofer that will work good in that space and you then have to find a midrange and tweeter that will work with the woofer (omit the midrange if a two way speaker system) and you gotta find a crossover that will work and then you have to hope it all sounds good with whatever amp you use.

I guess I really should have mentioned my friends are a professional stereo installation company. They have done everything from my car to boats to home stereos. These are not some back garage stereo mechanics. They will calculate all the cfm and all the rest when I take the finished cabinet to them.

Tube Radio wrote:
I haven't installed new speakers in a console, but I have built enough speakers to know that unless you know what you're doing (I'm still an amateur myself) it is best to leave the original speakers alone or just buy some in a cabinet to set behind the speaker baffles.

[/quote]

I've never installed new speakers into anything but a car, so i'm with you and will let the professionals figure out the details and then bring me up to speed on what they did.

I do appreciate your thoughts, I do intend to show it to you guys when it's done being sanded and stained and then again when all the components are in it.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 10:47 am 

Depends. To some it would be more valuable, but to some of the younger people it would be more valuable restored.

Another thing about the speakers is finding the right drivers that sound good to you with whatever amplifier you use.

If the original speaker baffles are in place you can find drivers that will fit where the original speakers were mounted.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 1:38 am 

Quote:

I believe the trend is overrated. There are several consoles that have been sitting at the HFH store for months, priced less than $100. At the end of the day they are still too overweight and cumbersome to be worth 95% of the population's time and space. This subject has already been hashed and re-hashed.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 3:31 am 

If they were cheaper consoles or not a certain style that may be why they are still sitting or it could be that there's no one in the area interested int hem.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 03, 2017 3:35 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
... or it could be that there's no one in the area interested int hem.

I think this is more likely the reality.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 04, 2017 6:24 pm 

The Zenith class B push/pull amp in your unit is rated at 100 watts EAI. There are offset voltage caps on the output transistors. They should be replaced in pairs . You will find the speaker output wire attached to both of them. I would replace the left and right channels with 1500uf/63 vdc.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 12:12 am 

My aunt and uncle had one of these and let me tell you, those sounded great and could really rock the house down..they'll easily push 100 watts plus on each channel..and sounds it, too. You have something nice..don't ruin it..restore it :D.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 03, 2018 3:45 am 

talamakara wrote:
I am glad this thread is still here.
I have friends in the audio world and we have mapped out all the gear needed to put a decent stereo in it, as well as making it so it links completely through my home wifi and bluetooth systems. Also setup some sliding frames inside of it to hold the speakers, and make it easy to remove the speakers in the years to come if something dies. That way if my son wants this unit 20 years from now in his home, he won't have to rebuild the whole thing ground up.
A

Do You honestly think that the "modern" Asian made components will hold up for 20 years??
You're only kidding yourself.

When this Zenith was built, it was designed to be serviced. it was American made & hand wired.
You're never gonna see American made electronics ever again. it would be a real sin to destroy, (yes, destroy) this console by gutting it & installing that Asian made crap in it.

the "modern' gear does not even come close to the build quality that this Zenith has.
most of the "modern" units have propitiatory semiconductors that most likely will not even be available 5 years from now.
I used to service audio equipment from the 80's & 90's & quit taking them in because in most cases, the audio output I.C's would no longer be available.

Gutting this Zenith out IS the equivalent to gutting a vintage 40's 50's television & installing a fish tank in it

PostPosted: Jul Tue 03, 2018 4:41 am 

robert1 wrote:
Do You honestly think that the "modern" Asian made components will hold up for 20 years??
You're only kidding yourself.

When this Zenith was built, it was designed to be serviced. it was American made & hand wired.
You're never gonna see American made electronics ever again. it would be a real sin to destroy, (yes, destroy) this console by gutting it & installing that Asian made crap in it.

the "modern' gear does not even come close to the build quality that this Zenith has.
most of the "modern" units have propitiatory semiconductors that most likely will not even be available 5 years from now.
I used to service audio equipment from the 80's & 90's & quit taking them in because in most cases, the audio output I.C's would no longer be available.

Gutting this Zenith out IS the equivalent to gutting a vintage 40's 50's television & installing a fish tank in it

I don't see where you are getting this bit about "asian" equipment, why you think it is so bad, or why you think the Zenith is any good. These sorts of console systems were what caused the rise of Japanese "silver age" components, and the "brown coffins" were *notoriously poor" as hi-fi systems, an opinion shared by everyone in audio at the time, who almost all had US-made components. Also, the widespread misrepresentation of the power ratings required Federal action to correct.

Early US transistor audio equipment was known for its unreliability (like the Dynaco ST-80 and 120) and poor performance. Some of that was simply because they were first, but when the Japanese came along in the early 70's with their component systems, they were VASTLY better in all regards, particularly reliability, and fit/finish for the price. Much like cars, where they absolutely cleaned our clocks from about 1970 to date. You are right about the difficulty of finding proprietary parts like ICs, but they are intrinsically much more reliable than most active components and permit more functionality that would otherwise be essentially impossible.

I am also not sure why you think there is no US-made electronics any more. Hifi is dominated by US and European (mostly British) manufacturers, and Japanese or Chinese equipment is nearly unknown in the high fidelity world.

I don't think gutting this console and replacing it with anything is a very good idea, either, but I think you are jumping to conclusions, and maybe remembering things better than they really were. I have been involved in hi-fi from about the time this console was made, the good old days were not very good.

Brett

PostPosted: Jul Tue 03, 2018 11:33 am 

If this was a top or naer top of the line console it would have sounded very good for its time and would still sound quite good today.

If it has cone tweeters one easy way to make it sound better is to add a single dome tweeter per channel crosse4d over at somewhere between 12-13KHz as it doesn't alter the original sound other than making the upper treble sound better.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 03, 2018 12:55 pm 

I've serviced quite a few modern receivers in the last few years, and operated my own (Onkyo) for 20.
The Onkyo has been flawless, but it also does not get heavy use.
No problems getting audio output modules, but I'm not sure what might happen if I needed other ICs........or microprocessors ( I repaired a high-end receiver with TWO of them-----never again!!)
For stuff made in the 80s or 90s, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with Japanese products......in fact, they are often the best.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 1:42 pm 

The power of advertising......we're conditioned to believe that newer is better. Sometimes that is true, but most often not.
With regard to consumer electronics, what advancements in the fundamental technology have there been in the last 20 years? ......I'll bet you that the vast majority of effort has gone into figuring out how to make things cheaper, and into the advertising to convince us it is better.

Sometimes, individuals have to do things in order to realize that they were mistakes.....(I'll spare you my personal screwups)

Be thankful that you have the right to do almost anything with your personal property....including things you may regret.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 1:57 pm 

In the past 20 years?

I do have to say I've been intrigued by Class D amplifiers. (Pulse Width Modulated switching types)
I will say, they are another attempt to make powerful amplifiers cheaper, and yes, it will be said that they aren't really better other than size, weight, power consumption and heat dissipation.

Most home consumer amplifiers, these aren't real concerns.

Portable electronics and applications where space is limited, or power consumption is a concern, they shine brightly.
They do have their own distortion problems.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 6:36 pm 

pixellany wrote:
The power of advertising......we're conditioned to believe that newer is better. ...

As a teenager, I worked for E. J. Korvette in Catonsville, MD (store 57). It was a dream job for me, selling component audio equipment the likes of Fisher, Harmon Kardon, HH Scott, Sony, Ampex, Empire, Garrard etc. When the new model turntable came out, that didn't automatically make last year's model automatically no good. Bargains could be had!!! I only wish that I had stocked up on those HH Scott "Scottkit" vacuum tube amplifiers and the Fisher "Stratakits". That was over 50 years ago...

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 7:10 pm 

Maybe he could upgrade it with Thomas internal gear. Or "Crosley".

Shame. My grandparents had one of these consoles, and we used to play it a lot. Great sound.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 7:16 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
In the past 20 years?

I do have to say I've been intrigued by Class D amplifiers. (Pulse Width Modulated switching types)
I will say, they are another attempt to make powerful amplifiers cheaper, and yes, it will be said that they aren't really better other than size, weight, power consumption and heat dissipation.

Most home consumer amplifiers, these aren't real concerns.

Portable electronics and applications where space is limited, or power consumption is a concern, they shine brightly.
They do have their own distortion problems.

-Steve

Class D amps are very good for high current applications such as subwoofers.

In fact for the bucket sub I built the designer recommended a class D amp as tests he did proved the class D amp made the sub better.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 9:15 pm 

pixellany wrote:
The power of advertising......we're conditioned to believe that newer is better. Sometimes that is true, but most often not.
With regard to consumer electronics, what advancements in the fundamental technology have there been in the last 20 years?

Really? In 1998, you surfed the internet on a big beige box with a giant heavy display with a small glass display at 9600 bps connected to a phone line. It cost $1000 or more. Now you stream video at tens or hundreds of megabits/second onto a phone you can fit into your pocket and carry anywhere and it works almost anywhere including driving down the interstate at 75 mph, for a few hundred dollars. Oh, also, it has a still and video camera with a sensor the size of a grain of rice that takes technically superior pictures than you or anyone else ever got with a 3 lb. Nikon F3 and 35mm film.

You watched TV at a 640x480 interlaced screen, and a 31" TV was huge, weighed 150 lbs or more, sucked down hundreds of watts, and had poor and bleeding color - and cost $500-1000. Now you have a TV with a 47 or 55" screen, far more resolution, that costs maybe $300, uses 30 watts, and is so light you can easily hang it from a wall, and perfect color under almost all conditions if you adjust it correctly.

In any case, we weren't talking about (or someone jumped to the conclusion to talk about) "consumer electronics" from 20 years ago. We were talking about a system that was almost universally derided at the time as a "brown coffin" and a poor performer (the best console ever was never as good as a contemporary component system) that was a slightly improved version of a console radio/phonograph from the 30s - from 50+ years ago! There have been drastic improvements in the period we are talking about, from well-developed tube equipment to very poor transistor equipment, to dead-nuts reliable and beautifully constructed transistor equipment, to drastically superior hi-fi transistor equipment. Also, giant speakers in open-back boxes with magnets the size of your thumbnail to enclosed speakers that are built like tanks designed with laser interferometers looking at the resonances in the enclosures.

Brett

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 9:26 pm 

Touche!!! I was thinking mostly about audio

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 11:09 pm 

pixellany wrote:
Touche!!! I was thinking mostly about audio

That *is* a different story. You have at least 4 different schools of audio right now, and only the last (streaming mid-fidelity "digital" where convenience is more important than performance) has developed in the last 20 years. "Consumer" home audio, "AudioPhools" and "advanced hi-fi" have remained largely unchanged. The last major change in "consumer" home was the development of heavily-processed surround sound in the 90's, "magical components for everything" like power cords for audiophools in the early 80s-2000s, and the development of advanced hybrid designs in hi-fi in the 90s.

Brett

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next