Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 13, 2019 3:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2015 12:23 pm 

To integrate with your house network, Bluetooth, MP3 they do make adapters for those.

The way you would connect it is you can either remove the audio wiring from the 8 track and add a multi audio source selector switch, or do the same, but connect the 8 track to one of the inputs.

That record changer is a Voice of Music and has the microtouch tonearm installed

Good records played on a proper record player do sound better than MP3s and possibly most CDs.

Once restored I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how good some of the older consoles can sound.

Also the original electronics will more than likely outlive any new electronics you could install in the console.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2015 3:14 pm 

metzman wrote:
Of course.... I'm always wrong. But really? I would chop that sum-bich up and throw it in the fire pit. Take the innards and sell 'em on ebay and make a fortune :roll: . Then take those astronomical profits and put them toward an early sixties unmolested Pilot tube console with an sa232 amp. I just saw one on Craigslist for $900.

No one is talking about astronomical profits on an old console except you. The point was that not all of them are worthless. Just because you have no interest in the subject matter doesn't mean it's OK to crap all over the thread. This is giving a newcomer a great first impression of this forum. Thanks.

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2015 4:07 pm 

Another +1 to ggregg's last post.

"talamakara" has asked us for advice, and all advice offered to him here has been positive except for "metzman"s negative comments. "talamakara" has indicated that he will give due consideration to all advice offered. Ultimately he will make his own decision on how best to deal with his Zenith console, which of course as its owner is his right.

talamakara,
If you are still seeking input/advice on your Zenith console, here is another great website you might want to check out:
http://www.vintagehifi.net

PostPosted: May Tue 19, 2015 10:20 pm 

I stand firm in my opinion that model has no legitimate collector value and I don't believe that it ever will. I have already assured kalamahara that it doesn't mean it's not valuable to him and gave him honest advice on what to do with it. Apparently since you guys don't agree with my opinion I am in the wrong. Thus my sarcasm was directed at my attackers, not Mr kalamahari. You get what you ask for.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 2:35 am 

metzman wrote:
I stand firm in my opinion that model has no legitimate collector value and I don't believe that it ever will. I have already assured kalamahara that it doesn't mean it's not valuable to him and gave him honest advice on what to do with it. Apparently since you guys don't agree with my opinion I am in the wrong. Thus my sarcasm was directed at my attackers, not Mr kalamahari. You get what you ask for.

So far all you are doing is stating your opinion. A couple of members have stated facts about the desirability of sets like this. In view of this your opinion really doesn't mean very much. Everyone has opinions but when the facts come along and disprove your opinion it time to man-up and admit it.

Dave

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 2:40 am 

metzman wrote:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, in this case the stereo console in question was a very high end model that doesn't turn up very often today, capable of excellent performance as it was built, and it already has collector interest and value, in comparison to almost all of the other stereo console units of that vintage which do not have any value and probably never will.

Zenith never built a stereo console any better than this one and it deserves to be left original and restored.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 5:46 am 

Quote:
So far all you are doing is stating your opinion. A couple of members have stated facts about the desirability of sets like this. In view of this your opinion really doesn't mean very much. Everyone has opinions but when the facts come along and disprove your opinion it time to man-up and admit it.

You guys are unbelievable. Now you have the facts. I could have just as easily said my view is a fact. You have no facts; what you are saying is your opinion. No better or worse than mine. Just because a couple guys in a forum are salivating over a 1970's Jackson 5 era Zenith console doesn't make it a collector's item. To the general masses, that piece has about as much collectability as an AMC Pacer. To an antique radio collector it has even LESS desireability.

To poor Kalamahara, I say ignore all this drivel. If you decide to modify your console, relax. It will be no significant loss to the hi-fi collector world. I won't cry over it, I promise.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 5:52 am 

:lol:

http://www.amcpacer.com/resources/

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 12:10 pm 

metzman wrote:
Just because a couple guys in a forum are salivating over a 1970's Jackson 5 era Zenith console doesn't make it a collector's item.

How do you know whether or not these types of consoles have any collector value?

metzman wrote:
To the general masses, that piece has about as much collectability as an AMC Pacer. To an antique radio collector it has even LESS desireability.

One could probably say the same about antique TVs, yet even some of us who don't collect them would cringe if someone wanted to install a modern TV inside the cabinet. Also not everyone is an antique radio collector.

The OP asked for advice. He didn't ask for a discussion about whether or not the console is worthless.

I think the main thing is some of us here just don't want to see this console gutted just to install new electronics when there's many low end console stereos out there that this could be done to.

There are a lot of electronic things I have no interest in collecting, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see those devices gutted and fitted with new stuff.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 6:35 pm 

:|

Last edited by tubeAMP on Feb Sun 26, 2017 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 5:30 am 

To be honest with you all. The back and forth to me is just as educational as the original question.

And a few years ago before I bought my 300 I was actually looking at buy an AMC Gremlin, just for the ability to put a large engine into it and a good sound system. The seller wanted as much for the beatup gremlin as the new engine was going to cost, mostly cause no matter how bad the AMC cars looked when they were first made, they could never be made to look worse, even if you rolled it lol.

But no you guys have taught me a lot in not only the things you have said but what i can read between the lines.

Thank you. :)

ohh and Mr. Kalamahare had to go out for fish after reading it pronounced like that lol.

I've also been thinking i may just buy this, plug it into the aux input and use it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/styles/large_wm_brw/public/article_images/2014/07/DIY-Bluetooth-audio-streamer-4.jpg?itok=SAH1BtMk

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 1:13 pm 

That adapter would definitely work and it could be hidden inside the console as well.

Far as the record player goes I'd recommend at least buying one record of your favorite artist and trying it out after the record changer has been properly restored.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 2:25 pm 

Sorry this may seem like an odd question, and the answer is probably suggestive as well as completely off topic.

A record can't produce 1000+bit lossless audio, and the human ear can only hear so much. So how can a 20+ year old record sound better than high end audio files, built from modern day equipment?

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 3:20 pm 

The record is analog, whereas the files are digital.

What really matters is if used how well the record was taken care of.

For a new record so long as it was pressed right it should sound good.

Records in general will sound better than most digital sources provided the proper playback equipment (decent quality record player, preamp, amplifier & speakers) is used.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 3:39 pm 

talamakara wrote:
Sorry this may seem like an odd question, and the answer is probably suggestive as well as completely off topic.

A record can't produce 1000+bit lossless audio, and the human ear can only hear so much. So how can a 20+ year old record sound better than high end audio files, built from modern day equipment?

It can't, and record fidelity barely reaches the level of acceptable from a technical standpoint with far, far better equipment than this turntable. In this case the relatively high tracking force and very questionable tonearm limits you to very low end cartridge. The fact that any microgroove stereo record works as well as it does is actually quite amazing considering what is really going on.

And in this case, it's not 20 years old, it's more like 40 year old equipment, not known for its audio quality even in the day.

Unfortunately in the context of this thread, the rest of the system isn't a lot better. You will not get the full advantages of the source fidelity possible with digital by hooking it to this console. They sell component hi-fi systems for a reason. These sorts of giant "brown coffin" consoles were a source of disdain by hi-fi standards even in the day, both for the rampant false advertising (like the "320 watts") and low performance. The same sort of thing it going on with the Bose "simple systems, unlike all the wires and mess of an old-fashioned stereo" now. You might like the sound but that's different from being accurate reflection on what is on the record/cd/file.

As noted above, if you are interested in a high-fidelity system, you need to go get a real system, not try to make this into one. At best you will end up replacing every single component inside (speakers (by which I mean a complete hi-fi speaker including the enclosure)), amplifier, and turntable if you want it) and then you end up with poor and unchangeable speaker layout.

My suggestion is to, if you like it, to spend the effort to make it safe to operate (which we can easily help with), and add an aux input, and take it for what it is. The difference between a record and a Red Book CD will not be easily distinguishable from an accuracy standpoint, and you can't really significantly improve the system short of just replacing everything.

One additional caution is that these systems are rather difficult to work on compared to a component stereo system, if for no other reason you can't easily test the parts without all of them hooked together.

Don't take this as a significant negative, if you like the thing, we can get it to work to the extent possible. Most of these consoles wind up on the sidewalk or in landfills since there's really no way to ship them to the few people who want them. I wouldn't expect any significant collector value at any point in the future, but to me, that's a side issue.

Brett

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 3:52 pm 

Some consoles could and did sound as good as if not better than a lot of component systems.

The OP just needs to restore it and see if he likes the sound.

If it doesn't sound right to him maybe he can post what seems to be off in the sound and one of us could maybe advise what to do to correct that.

A lot of times just tweaking the speaker crossover will make a console stereo sound much better.

Sure it may not sound as good as a high dollar modern component system, but given it was one of Zenith's higher end models at the time, it should sound very good.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 3:59 pm 

there is some arguable unnatural sound using sampling over analog
square vs round :|

Last edited by tubeAMP on May Fri 22, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 4:05 pm 

talamakara wrote:

That's simple. Being analog in nature, the record has a continuous stream of natural audio information as opposed to being broken up into bits on a CD or MP3 file. Even us old folks can easily hear the difference on good quality reproducing equipment (meaning analog equipment, having tubes or transistors, built at least a few decades ago) as opposed to listening to digital recordings played on modern digital equipment (anything they sell today, or in the past 20 years or so). I find that annoying at the very best, because it simply doesn't sound good to my ears and I can clearly hear the digital artifacts, which do not sound natural, which you don't hear when listening to analog music (such as vinyl records or magnetic tapes) on analog equipment.

But if you think that digitally recorded music sounds acceptable, and you can't hear the artifacts, then there's really no need for further discussion.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 4:11 pm 

Digital artifacts, like no noise or distortion. Records are loaded with second-harmonic distortion which is unnatural, but creates a "warm" sound that many people like.

-David

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2015 4:34 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
talamakara wrote:

But if you think that digitally recorded music sounds acceptable, and you can't hear the artifacts, then there's really no need for further discussion.

You need to hear a quality system. You cannot hear or measure "digital artifacts" on a properly-operating hi-fi system running Red Book CD resolution.

If you want to get into an absurd analog V digital directed urination contest, I will not oblige you.

Brett

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next