Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 1:30 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 04, 2015 4:56 pm 
Member

Joined: May Sun 17, 2015 6:52 am
Posts: 25
Lol someone said it was worth 150 bucks lol told him I'd burn it to the ground before I gave it away lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 04, 2015 5:22 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20384
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Most likely it really is worth about $150 unless completed auctions for the console in unrestored condition on Ebay are consistently higher and then you have to look at the listings to find the average sold for price.

Then again this will need to be restored in order to be fully functional so that right there reduces its value quite possibly by a considerable amount.

Replacing the electrolytic capacitors is more than likely all it needs to be a fully functional excellent sounding console again.

EDIT:

The only thing you have not done is restore the electronics to see how the console should sound.

My advice would be to do that first, because you may just be surprised at how good it may sound.

The console wouldn't have been considered top of the line if it had poor sound quality.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 05, 2015 3:35 am 
Member

Joined: Nov Wed 14, 2007 11:37 pm
Posts: 1604
You've got to be kidding. After all that, your selling it now? Sorry, but regardless of how allegedly "great" that model sounds, you'd have to pay ME to keep that monstrosity in my living room. :lol: But hey, if some sucker gives you a grand for it, take it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 06, 2015 8:27 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20384
Location: Warner Robins, GA
I'm not exactly sure anymore what the OP wants to do.

He seems to be wanting to scrap the electronics for new ones when he hasn't even attempted to restore the original electronics and see how they sound.

If he would just do that, I bet he would change his mind about scrapping the electronics.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 06, 2015 1:08 pm 
Member

Joined: Nov Wed 14, 2007 11:37 pm
Posts: 1604
I think he's just toying with the people trying to tell him what to do when he already knows what he wants to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 06, 2015 7:55 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20384
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Could be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2015 1:21 am 
Member

Joined: May Sun 17, 2015 6:52 am
Posts: 25
nope, i honestly and truly was curious as to peoples thoughts and educated answers those i did want. But enough people said the same thing that the parts were worth something I wanted to see what it would actually bring in for offers.


Div wrote:
Sorry to break the bad news to you, but you will not find anyone here willing to offer you more than $5 for that (and that itself is a stretch). In the vest of cases these 70s consoles are pretty much worthless. Sorry! Hope you find a buyer locally though,

Ted



Well here is the response I got, and it wasn't the only one to say so. So it's why i made my choice to rebuild the box with modern equipment and move on. I do value everyone's opinion and some very experienced point of views, but choice made.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2015 2:08 am 
Member

Joined: Nov Wed 14, 2007 11:37 pm
Posts: 1604
Now that we got that out of the way, the sky's the limit. Please keep us posted on your progress.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2015 4:21 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20384
Location: Warner Robins, GA
talamakara wrote:
nope, i honestly and truly was curious as to peoples thoughts and educated answers those i did want. But enough people said the same thing that the parts were worth something I wanted to see what it would actually bring in for offers.


Div wrote:
Sorry to break the bad news to you, but you will not find anyone here willing to offer you more than $5 for that (and that itself is a stretch). In the vest of cases these 70s consoles are pretty much worthless. Sorry! Hope you find a buyer locally though,

Ted



Well here is the response I got, and it wasn't the only one to say so. So it's why i made my choice to rebuild the box with modern equipment and move on. I do value everyone's opinion and some very experienced point of views, but choice made.


If I lived close to you I would have been willing to pay at least $100 for the console.

Since you are going to just trash the electronics how much would it cost to ship the amplifier from your location to mine? Since this isn't a for sale post you can PM me if so desired. I might be interested in the speakers too if shipping is not too much.

The amplifier itself looks like it would be pretty good once recapped. If so desired you could find a Carver or other quality brand of preamp/tuner and use that to drive the amplifier.

You could then use the original speakers and get great sound.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Feb Sat 25, 2017 9:41 pm 
New Member

Joined: Feb Sat 25, 2017 9:29 pm
Posts: 14
Hello everyone.....these posts are a year or two old. But I am about to pick up the SAME EXACT Zenith console. Model D966 with cassette player. Unfortunately it is not working, power won't turn on. I am only paying $10 and I'm wondering why I am even picking it up.

The wood is in good shape and the console seems clean but I can't afford to pay someone to restore it. if it won't turn on.....is there a fuse or something easy for me to check first?

Curious if you ever put newer components in yours, or what you did with it.

Someone mentioned selling the components on ebay. Is there any market for them? Are they worth anything?

I see these for sale on ebay now....2 of them 1 for $500 1 for $200 and no bids, another one last year didn't sell with a price for $500.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2017 3:42 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20384
Location: Warner Robins, GA
My advice is to get an estimate on how much it will cost to restore it to proper operation then as you have some extra money set some of it aside until you can afford the repairs.

Post your location. Maybe a forum member is nearby who would be willing to do the work.

I would not recommend installing new equipment as that could wind up being more expensive than a restoration.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2017 9:59 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Sun 01, 2010 1:12 am
Posts: 8434
Location: Minnesota
shoegoo wrote:
Hello everyone.....these posts are a year or two old. But I am about to pick up the SAME EXACT Zenith console. Model D966 with cassette player. Unfortunately it is not working, power won't turn on. I am only paying $10 and I'm wondering why I am even picking it up.

The wood is in good shape and the console seems clean but I can't afford to pay someone to restore it. if it won't turn on.....is there a fuse or something easy for me to check first?

Curious if you ever put newer components in yours, or what you did with it.

Someone mentioned selling the components on ebay. Is there any market for them? Are they worth anything?

I see these for sale on ebay now....2 of them 1 for $500 1 for $200 and no bids, another one last year didn't sell with a price for $500.


I would pass. First thing, that cabinet design is not popular overall. If it was MCM or a little older then maybe a different story. The electronics, unless you have someone close who could help, would be too expensive to restore. No power can mean anything, from an unavailable power switch, to a burned out transformer, to a blown fuse. But either way, it's over 40 years old and will need some help. Putting newer gear in will kill the originality however it really doesn't have much value to begin with. The consoles people are looking for are older than this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2017 1:19 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20384
Location: Warner Robins, GA
That said if the console is known for good sound quality it may still be worth restoring.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2017 2:38 pm 
Member

Joined: Nov Wed 14, 2007 11:37 pm
Posts: 1604
Quote:
Putting newer gear in will kill the originality however it really doesn't have much value to begin with. The consoles people are looking for are older than this one
.



Many consoles have zero value, but this is not one of them. It was one of the very best made that year and should current trends continue, the value is going to go up dramatically.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2017 5:28 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 4866
Location: Gainesville, Florida
could try some simple testing. ohm meter between AC plug prongs. turn switch ON/OFF. should get reading in ON position. trace power cord inside cabinet. look for fuse and replace if failed. plug-in console and look for signs of power like lights. check speaker connections


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 3:00 am 
New Member

Joined: Feb Sat 25, 2017 9:29 pm
Posts: 14
Thank you Metzman, Tubeamp, and Tube Man!

I have not yet picked up the big ole D966 Zenith, but will this weekend.

There have been some new developments.....I recently picked up a beautiful '67 Packard Bell RPC-66 with gorgeous mid century modern look. (I'll post a picture). It has been well preserved, but the VOM record player isn't working. It would probably cost from $100 to $200 to have it overhauled and it's too expensive right now.

My plan is to pick up the old Zenith D966 and see if it's VOM record player will work in my Packard Bell. Eventually, I will get the Packard's turntable overhauled.

When I get the Zenith this weekend, I plan on doing some very basic trouble shooting to see if it's something easy like a fuse.

Although I have no doubt that this Zenith is a nice console that would still sound great, I'm only buying it for its record player. It's styling is not what I'm interested in....even if the components are high end.

Hopefully, I can get it running and then put it for sale, and hope to sell it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 11:44 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20384
Location: Warner Robins, GA
That record player if you feel comfortable disassembling it and doing the necessary cleaning, lube and reassembly would cost way less than that to fix.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: '73 Zenith D966 is ALIVE and working!
PostPosted: Mar Fri 31, 2017 5:34 pm 
New Member

Joined: Feb Sat 25, 2017 9:29 pm
Posts: 14
GREAT NEWS! I picked up the Zenith for $10 and it actually works, and sounds terrific.

Sounds very good and POWERFUL, the record player works (but needs help), and I put it in my Packard Bell for now. But I'm psyched to have this thing.

The cabinet of the console is also near mint, no scratches or issues, looks very well taken care of even my wife might let it into the house.

It is HEAVY though, weighs about a ton. I can definitely understand how this was a high end unit in its day.


Attachments:
zenith power.jpg
zenith power.jpg [ 80.04 KiB | Viewed 3734 times ]
big zenith.jpg
big zenith.jpg [ 49.73 KiB | Viewed 3732 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '73 Zenith D966 is ALIVE and working!
PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 6:01 pm 
Member

Joined: May Sun 17, 2015 6:52 am
Posts: 25
shoegoo wrote:
GREAT NEWS! I picked up the Zenith for $10 and it actually works, and sounds terrific.

Sounds very good and POWERFUL, the record player works (but needs help), and I put it in my Packard Bell for now. But I'm psyched to have this thing.

The cabinet of the console is also near mint, no scratches or issues, looks very well taken care of even my wife might let it into the house.

It is HEAVY though, weighs about a ton. I can definitely understand how this was a high end unit in its day.



Looks great! I'm glad it's working well for you. I did get your message sorry it has been a busy couple years since I posted here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zenith Solid State...?
PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 6:17 pm 
Member

Joined: May Sun 17, 2015 6:52 am
Posts: 25
I am glad this thread is still here.

I actually bought a soda blaster here a few months ago, for a dining table I am working on and so I could soda blast and re-stain the Zenith without having to hand sand all the edges and potentially wreck the lines.

I have friends in the audio world and we have mapped out all the gear needed to put a decent stereo in it, as well as making it so it links completely through my home wifi and bluetooth systems. Also setup some sliding frames inside of it to hold the speakers, and make it easy to remove the speakers in the years to come if something dies. That way if my son wants this unit 20 years from now in his home, he won't have to rebuild the whole thing ground up.

I'm not going to post any pictures I have of it right now as it is in the middle of the rebuild and of course looks no where near as good as it will.

My table is almost done, the Zenith will follow in it's wake.

A


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB