Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 19, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone Model 1484 Guitar Amp
PostPosted: Jan Thu 28, 2016 4:54 am 

A friend of mine heard that I liked restoring old tube gear and asked me if I wanted an old Peavey amp. Of course I said "sure do". At first I was a little disappointed that it was "just" a Silvertone 1484. A quick scan of the tube compliment yielded (3) 12AX7's and (2) 6L6GC output tubes (I assume in push pull). The little bit of searching on YouTube and the internet seems to indicate this is a well regarded vintage amp. Not super powerful but generally liked for it's sound. Unfortunately the cabinet and it's 12" Jensen's is gone. Like the head, it was made of crappy particle board and fake Tolex. He thinks he knows where the foot switch is though.

I don't like to start anything before I finish a work in progress (a Zenith in this case) but I'm looking forward to bringing this back. I already cleaned the fake Tolex and soaked the knobs in warm soapy water There's a lot left to clean up. It's been sitting for a long time. Here's how it started:

NE5U

Mike

Post subject: Re: Silvertone Model 1484 Guitar Amp
PostPosted: Jan Thu 28, 2016 6:41 pm 

Oooh that PT looks a little scary. Hopefully it's OK. Most of Sears amps were made by Danelectro or Valco. Either of which can be a sweet little tone machine. I suspect that one is Danelectro.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 28, 2016 7:00 pm 

ggregg wrote:
Oooh that PT looks a little scary. Hopefully it's OK. Most of Sears amps were made by Danelectro or Valco. Either of which can be a sweet little tone machine. I suspect that one is Danelectro.

Yeah... I haven't put on on the PR-57 and checked current draw. I want to look under the chassis first. I'm hopeful that I can fix the transformer with a little evapo-rust and black paint. We'll see

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Jan Sat 30, 2016 12:41 am 

Under specced output transformer is the weak link in those amps, but probably contributes to the unique voicing.. that and the low screen supply.
I love the way these sound.

The original red Planet electrolytics are "Guaranteed for one year". Might wanna replace those :lol:

Also, be sure and check output tube bias -- they can run very hot, and a nice trick is to run the bias supply into a voltage doubler and trim pot.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 30, 2016 1:19 am 

hylaphone wrote:
Under spec'd output transformer is the weak link in those amps, but probably contributes to the unique voicing.. that and the low screen supply.
I love the way these sound.

I have a Mercury Magnetics output transformer made for the amp. It's got 4, 8, and 16 ohm output windings. I'm not going to install it right away

Quote:
The original red Planet electrolytics are "Guaranteed for one year". Might wanna replace those :lol:

A whole year! :)

Quote:
Also, be sure and check output tube bias -- they can run very hot, and a nice trick is to run the bias supply into a voltage doubler and trim pot.

I'll cross check against the schematic to look for mods and I will definitely checked the output tube bias and power level.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Jan Sat 30, 2016 8:49 pm 

I've got a couple of different LCR meters and when I measured the power supply filter choke it comes up around 50H and it should be 7H. My Fluke shows it to be open and the VTVM on the Rx1 scale shows it is open. I guess that's pretty open... Mercury Magnetics has one though.

I wasn't going to work in this yet but it just keeps calling me...

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Jan Sat 30, 2016 9:36 pm 

Mike6158 wrote:
I've got a couple of different LCR meters and when I measured the power supply filter choke it comes up around 50H and it should be 7H. My Fluke shows it to be open and the VTVM on the Rx1 scale shows it is open. I guess that's pretty open... Mercury Magnetics has one though.

I wasn't going to work in this yet but it just keeps calling me...

huh.. the last one I worked on had an open choke too!
I just used an off the shelf Hammond 5H, worked fine.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 30, 2016 10:07 pm 

The power supply in the amp is a tad different. I already ordered the choke from Mercury Magnetics so I'll just go with that. At this point I think I'm going to go with the upgrade to the 4/8/16Ω output transformer and install 3 jacks for the speaker vs leaving the long cable installed.

In order to clean the amp up "properly" I'm going to disassemble it a lot more than I wanted to but that will probably cut down on the bad language in the long run :)

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Mon 01, 2016 9:04 pm 

Voltage doubler

PostPosted: Feb Tue 02, 2016 3:25 am 

RattleCat wrote:
Voltage doubler

Series voltage doubler. The filter caps "add" up to 25mF... But I simulated it and it seems to be fine at that.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Tue 02, 2016 7:25 pm 

use a current limiter dim bulb if you have one. easy to make. saves the power supply :|

PostPosted: Feb Wed 03, 2016 3:48 am 

I have a dim bulb tester and variac but most of the time I just use a Sencore PR57 so I can watch the current draw on startup.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sat 06, 2016 8:58 pm 

I have some capacitor questions

I'm working on the power supply "board" and specifically on the components in red for this section of the tremolo circuit

Te resistors had drifted a little but not out of spec. I changed them anyway since I had desoldered the lugs to test the caps.

C23 is a Sprague .47µF / 200V paper cap. It tested great. Capacitance was almost dead on and leakage was nothing at max voltage on my Eico 950). Since it's not in the power supply circuit I decided to leave it in. Thoughts on that decision? If it were in the power supply or in an AA5 I would change it just because.

C24 is a .047µF / 600V cap. Capacitance is also almost dead on but leakage wasn't "perfect" up at 500V. On the other hand, the eye tube looked very similar with a new cap installed so maybe my Eico isn't working as well as it could be. ESR was low. So, the plan is to leave it alone. Thoughts on that decision?

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Tue 09, 2016 4:45 am 

If it were me, don't mess with it till you fire it up. If the trem works, it works. :)

PostPosted: Feb Tue 09, 2016 2:46 pm 

2ND that motion :|

PostPosted: Feb Wed 10, 2016 1:44 pm 

Due to a full schedule at work I'm a couple of weeks away from power up.

On another note:

I was reading the first chapter of Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass. Actually... I skipped ahead to 1.24 thru 1.26. I'm going to start over at the beginning this evening. It looks like a decent book :D

I tend to buy metal oxide resistors for my AA5 and test equipment repairs. I have some carbon comps but tend toward using the metal oxide resistors for just about everything. The author says "Metal oxide resistors are similar to metal film, but are usually avoided for audio because they can cause low-level distortion and are fairly noisy. They may still be found in the power supply however." Elsewhere he makes the recommendation for metal film. Wirewound seems to be preferred overall but finding lower wattage wirewound resistors seems to be an issue. And they are expensive. Thoughts?

So far I haven't found any resistors that have drifted out of spec. so the it may not be an issue.

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on Feb Sat 13, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 10, 2016 4:49 pm 

hope you take a vacuum cleaner to it first so it will look good for the occasion. some time take the transformer bell ends off for rust removal and paint. maybe some Rust-Oleum black or glow in the dark paint. could use Ospho on the transformer segments. turns rust black. can get real crazy with aluminum polish on the valve covers :|

PostPosted: Feb Wed 10, 2016 11:32 pm 

tubeAMP wrote:
hope you take a vacuum cleaner to it first so it will look good for the occasion. some time take the transformer bell ends off for rust removal and paint. maybe some Rust-Oleum black or glow in the dark paint. could use Ospho on the transformer segments. turns rust black. can get real crazy with aluminum polish on the valve covers :|

I'm pretty well along with cleanup. The transformers are pulled and waiting for "de-rusting" and paint. The chassis is stripped of anything that's in the way. I'm going all out with cleanup. Under all that grunge is a nice amp. I plan to keep it so I'm making it right for the long haul. I'll post pics when I get it back together

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Tue 16, 2016 4:48 pm 

Since you are going to all that trouble, why not just replace all the old caps and carbon resistors. Some of these old parts behave differently once they heat up in the cabinet and can be difficult to diagnose. You should have a nice amp when done if the iron is good!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 19, 2018 9:24 pm 

You know how they say not to start something and then put it off until later? Yeah... I did that. I have a few days that I can spend on it so maybe I'll get it finished this week. Then I can tackle a few other "almost done" projects :?

Current state

Front

Bottom (power supply board is finished but not installed yet)

Top. Somehow the reverb tank "strap" has grown in width.

NE5U

Mike