Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 16, 2019 9:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 8-track deck
PostPosted: Jun Tue 05, 2018 4:30 am 

Who made DuMont 8-track home tape decks? I've got one and it sounds real good :D.

Post subject: Re: 8-track deck
PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2018 4:19 pm 

Probably Emerson.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 03, 2018 3:47 am 

oldtvnut wrote:
Who made DuMont 8-track home tape decks? I've got one and it sounds real good :D.

If you post a picture of it with the case removed, i will be able to tell you.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 5:14 am 

one thing that I have noticed for sure, not all 8 track decks are created equal in the quality of sound output.

most sound good, some sound horrible, some sound over the top excellent.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 8:20 pm 

I would like to get a player/recorder

I had one years ago but it was a pile of junk "Automatic Radio" brand.

I see all kinds of them for sale, some way out of my budget, is there a certain brand that's more reliable than others?

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 8:36 pm 

from my experience, i've heard some cheapies sound really good. as for some of the big decks, i thought they could sound better.

sorry my information is of no help, but hopefully someone can chime in with a recommendation.

although 8-track was never my interest to collect or use (at all) for audio, i repaired many of them back in the day, but can't remember who or what sounded the best.

i had one tape "Foreigner 4" (i think) which had "Cold as Ice" split between the "click" of channels. on some decks it sounded as good as vinyl and sounded excellent. on others, it sounded tinny and lack luster as "music on hold" over a telephone earpiece speaker.

:?

steve

edit: oh, hi rocco ! I did not see the poster's name. I just replied. bad day last night ! :D

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 9:19 pm 

No problem Steve, I've had my share of bad days/nights :)

Back in the day I repaired quite a few as well, I even had one in my car.

I had lots of tapes, Elton John, BTO, Nazareth, etc. Most underdash players were junk including mine.

Didn't last long though, I quickly moved up to indash AM/FM Cassette units after that.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 9:30 pm 

in the mid 70s, i was young in my single digits when my grandfather gave me his RCA orthophonic SHF5 from 1956.

he bought a zenith allegro quad system with the larger model 3000 speakers, four of them, which was a very nice set up compared to all the other "all in one" systems. it was expensive too. that was my first experience with 8-tracks. it sounded very good, but that was an "all in one" system, not a deck.

i know some of those big 8 track decks were quite the tanks. they were packed solid, both in mechanics and electronics, and were quite impressive to say the least.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 10:38 pm 

My parents never had any kind of tape machine whatsoever, I grew up with one of those gargantuous am/fm, record changer consoles with the b/w tv in the middle, when I moved out it was still there, lol

Here's a photo of the recorder I used to have, but it was full of gremlins which rendered it useless.

Automatic Radio flooded the Canadian market back in the 60's and 70's you could buy their products in almost any department store.

Just curious, what speed do 8-tracks run at?

Attachments:
Automatic Radio HRP-1356 (Small).jpg
Automatic Radio HRP-1356 (Small).jpg [ 29.04 KiB | Viewed 1391 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 12:34 am 

Rocco53 wrote:
Just curious, what speed do 8-tracks run at?

3-3/4 Inches Per Second.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 2:17 am 

hi don,

it is bunch of PM, buy/sell, and email friends pitching on this thread tonight !

:D

steve

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 2:24 am 

questions:

1. when one recorded on 8 track, did they have a budgeted time between "clicks" and track changes ?

2. if i were to record an LP or FM to 8 track, how did i know when i was about to come to the end of the tape when i was recording on "program 4" ? when it clicked to "program 1", is that when i hit the pause button so i would not start recording over what i started ?

3. was it common for music just to run thru the "program" clicks between 1,2,3,4 ?

4. did some really good decks automatically shut off as soon as the program jumped from 4 to 1 ?

i think i repaired a few that did that. did some do just that ?

5. do 8 tracks have a "no accidental record" tab or indention to punch out like cassettes ?

as many that i repaired with belts, cleanings, regreasing, a capacitor or three, i never tried to record on one.

i could only imagine that recording on 8 track would be a really massive PITA in many a way, no ?

steve

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 3:13 am 

Thanks Don, that's the same speed found in many RR home decks, I wonder how the engineers came to that conclusion. I probably read about it somewhere I just don't remember.

Steve if you bought a brand new blank tape it had total recording time on the package but now I don't remember if it listed the time per track.

I was never able to synchronize an album when recording onto 8-track, that would take some time and planning. So YES big PITA. the track switched half way through a song, I got mad, threw stuff across the room, you can guess the rest.

No recording prevention tabs on 8-track tapes that I know of, VHS tapes did have them though.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 3:30 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
questions:
1. when one recorded on 8 track, did they have a budgeted time between "clicks" and track changes ?

That depended on the person who was doing the recording. the average user would just record over the track change. however, the right way to do it was by figuring the run time of each program; example; a 45 minute tape would consist of four 11 1/2 minute programs. you would use a clock or timer & watch the elapsed time & when it reached the time that the track was to change, you would pause the source until the program has changed.

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
2. if i were to record an LP or FM to 8 track, how did i know when i was about to come to the end of the tape when i was recording on "program 4" ? when it clicked to "program 1", is that when i hit the pause button so i would not start recording over what i started ?

Most modern recording decks made after 1970 were equipped with a Auto-Stop / Auto Eject function.
the "pause" feature showed up on the better tape decks after 1972

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
3. was it common for music just to run thru the "program" clicks between 1,2,3,4 ?

Yes, i still record that way. by letting it record through the program change is actually less of a interruption then fading out, pausing the source, & fading back in

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
4. did some really good decks automatically shut off as soon as the program jumped from 4 to 1 ?
i think i repaired a few that did that. did some do just that ?

It depended on the model. most of the earlier models just stopped the motor, other makes / models actually ejected the tape, which also turned the power off.

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
5. do 8 tracks have a "no accidental record" tab or indention to punch out like cassettes ?

as many that i repaired with belts, cleanings, regreasing, a capacitor or three, i never tried to record on one.

i could only imagine that recording on 8 track would be a really massive PITA in many a way, no ?

steve

Actually, 8 track tapes are easy to make recordings on, however, there are some issues that you would have to deal with before you make your recording.
first, you will need to make sure that the foam pressure pad in the cartridge is still good & has not rotted away. even still sealed N.O.S. carts will need to have both the pressure pad AND the sensing foil replaced before you insert it into the deck.

I have a collection of 5000+ 8 track tapes & around 100 N.O.S. blank tapes. i also have a small collection of both playback & play / record decks

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 3:36 am 

thanks guys.

steve

PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 11:00 pm 

I think the 8-track is a fairly poor technology with serious inherent weaknesses (continuous loop wears out the tape for one). It was optimized for a very particular application, playing prerecorded music in automobiles with minimal driver distraction, and it did that fairly well. However, when attempts were made to extend the technology to general purpose recording or high-fidelity reproduction, the results were disappointing. The Philips Compact-Cassette was a far superior technology.

-David

PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2018 12:07 am 

no man, you recorded the album to the 8 track, when the album or tape was done, you pulled it, ran to the car and took off to party, there
was no time sync tracks, lol, there was "stuff" to do.
if you are/were taping to an 8 track, you can't really be serious about the whole thing

PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2018 1:55 am 

dberman51 wrote:
I think the 8-track is a fairly poor technology with serious inherent weaknesses (continuous loop wears out the tape for one). It was optimized for a very particular application, playing prerecorded music in automobiles with minimal driver distraction, and it did that fairly well. However, when attempts were made to extend the technology to general purpose recording or high-fidelity reproduction, the results were disappointing. The Philips Compact-Cassette was a far superior technology.

-David

One must keep in mind that at the time the 8-track tape was intruduced, it blew the Compact-Cassette out of the water. It wasn't until tape formulations dramatically improved during the 1970s that the Compact-Cassette became hi-fi.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2018 1:59 am 

I had 8 tracks in my 69 Bug and 73 Gran Torino, at one point tapes were a couple bucks for the good ones, good deals

PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2018 2:07 am 

Were there any Chrome 8-track tapes ever made?

I don't remember seeing any.

The Chrome cassette tapes sure sounded a lot better than regular tapes.