Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Wed 20, 2019 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grundig 9065
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 12:34 pm 

While wheeling and dealing this past weekend, I ran across a Grundig 9065(1957?).. Its in very very nice shape, but hasn't been powered up in decades.. The guy says he wants to part with it but neither of us has a clue as to what it may be worth.. Were these high or low end?? How common are they?? Are they a pain to work on?? Below is a sample picture of what it looks like..

Attachments:
konzertschrank_br_9065_30629.jpg
konzertschrank_br_9065_30629.jpg [ 27.16 KiB | Viewed 642 times ]

Post subject: Re: Grundig 9065
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 4:52 pm 

Grundig 9065 series was one of their higher end consoles for the 1956-57 model year. 9 tube chassis with push pull amp, 6 speakers, etc. Lots of bad capacitors that must be replaced. The EM34 eye tube is likely dead, and replacements are unobtainium. So a substitute must be made, and the socket rewired. It's a major job. The PE turntable is a pain as well. As for value, unfortunately there isn't much demand for these consoles. They take up a lot of space and as mentioned, getting them working properly is a major job. Because of this, they don't go for very much around here.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 5:05 pm 

I just finished an 8098, which appears to have some similarities. (Same tube lineup)

eye tube was the least of my problems---used a 6E5S from Russia.

Most complex and tedious refurb I have ever done---but really good performance. This one has a Record Player AND a reel-to-reel tape player. (Haven't done the tape player yet)

And yes, PE record players are a pain....

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 8:38 pm 

pixellany wrote:
I just finished an 8098, which appears to have some similarities. (Same tube lineup)

eye tube was the least of my problems---used a 6E5S from Russia.

Most complex and tedious refurb I have ever done---but really good performance. This one has a Record Player AND a reel-to-reel tape player. (Haven't done the tape player yet)

And yes, PE record players are a pain....

Yes, chassis is quite similar to the 8098. I just did an 8058 which is also very close. It took a huge number of caps and a bunch of other work, including removal of some of the pushbutton slides to get them clean. When I said "major job" I meant the whole chassis, not the eye tube, which isn't that big a deal. I use a 1629 for the eye tube in these. with either a voltage doubler or small transformer 12v heater. As for the PE, if a customer wants the turntable to work, I will recommend a replacement. The REX A is just not worth the hassle, IMO, and you end up with a very heavy tracking, mediocre performing turntable that isn't stereo compatible.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 4:58 am 

I just picked up a 1957 Grundig 9065 and can't wait to get into it. Radio works, speakers all work, tweeters don't. going to replace all the capacitors and tubes as needed. Looks like it came out of Chicago originally but has been out in Las Vegas, where I live, for quite some time now and is in really good shape. I LOVE the look....wife doesn't share same excitement.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 1:37 am 

The guy still emails me from time to time and he always mentions the Grundig.. its in great shape,.. I just dont have room for it, or the patience..
I'm still arguing with an Atwater Kent..

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 12:07 pm 

Schematic: https://nvhrbiblio.nl/schema/Grundig_9065.pdf

An alternatively drawn schematic, with tube pinouts can be found here...
https://www.doctsf.com/grundig-9065-kon ... 918/ori=ps

Greg.

Edit: See lorenz200w's caveat when replacing your electrostatic (tweeter) speakers...
viewtopic.php?p=2688328#p2688328

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 4:13 am 

troland wrote:
I just picked up a 1957 Grundig 9065 and can't wait to get into it. Radio works, speakers all work, tweeters don't. going to replace all the capacitors and tubes as needed. Looks like it came out of Chicago originally but has been out in Las Vegas, where I live, for quite some time now and is in really good shape. I LOVE the look....wife doesn't share same excitement.

The tweeters can usually repaired. But first make sure they're really not working. They only reproduce sound at very high audio frequencies, and the output from them is subjectively pretty low in level. If your hearing is in any way compromised(e.g. ,you're up there in the years), there's a good chance you may not be able to hear them working.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 12:53 pm 

Repairing Electrostatic (Tweeter) speakers in German tube-radios...
viewtopic.php?p=2934897#p2934897

Also, follow Paul's links to→ other Tweeter restorations.

Greg.