Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 15, 2019 10:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sansui 1000
PostPosted: Aug Tue 07, 2018 5:06 am 

I acquired a Sansui 1000 not the 1000a today and the on/volume potentiometer is completely detached from the chassis and not all in one piece. I don’t know if I can find a replacement part online or if I just need to snap it back together and jerry rig it to the front of the receiver again. The markings on it are centralab R2-500k. I also was wondering opinions on PIO capacitors? Lots of people say yes they all need to be replaced, but if I replace them with what type of capacitors should I replace them with? (Obviously the same values). Any help is greatly appreciated (I also have pictures but I’m new to the forum and unsure how to link them or imbed them. Message me and I’ll send them to you?)(Don’t know if messaging happens here either)

Post subject: Re: Sansui 1000
PostPosted: Aug Tue 07, 2018 1:47 pm 

Check with Mark Oppat at ****. He is the expert on potentiometers and has helped me several times when I needed a new control. Harry

PostPosted: Aug Tue 07, 2018 10:16 pm 

Just my thoughts and opinions here; all coupling and bypass capacitors should be replaced, along with the electrolytics of course. Ceramic and Mica are usually ok (but not always), and maybe stay away from shot-gunning the tuner section initially.

You can still find new PIO caps, but they tend to be expensive (relative) but would be sticking to original design. And of course it depends on your end goal, keep forever, fix and use for awhile, flip, restore & resale value, etc. Personally it'd be a keeper for me (very nice unit) and I'd work to restore to original. But you may be happy with the loads of film cap options out there. If you have a finely tuned ear (not like mine), there are reported perceived differences between caps. As you will undoubtedly find on other audio forums, the topic of film caps will be broad and wide, heated and nasty, and confusing... but you have options and not many would be bad.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 08, 2018 12:32 am 

This receiver has a history of the volume control going open or way High and becoming unstable .
When they become unstable the output transformers can open so check both of them for continuity on the primaries before putting too much time and money into it

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... 000a.shtml

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... 1000.shtml

PostPosted: Aug Wed 15, 2018 8:42 am 

Sansui was a transformer company to start with. They branched into
HIFI with a small kit amplifier that used their transformers. We once fixed one
of those amplifiers for free so we could photograph it.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca