Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: what to do with a heavy tobacco smelled stereo
PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 12:27 am 

Hi to everyone, last year I bought a fisher 180 amplifier from a neighbor. The thing just reeks of tobacco smoke smell.
its so bad that I don't want to use it. If I put it on the auction site it would probably be returned. Whats the best bet, pull the knobs and sell them and dump the rest? I would appreciate any suggestions

Post subject: Re: what to do with a heavy tobacco smelled stereo
PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 12:33 am 

I once had a 39 console radio that smelled - could not get rid of it.. Finally filled a baking pan with 2 boxes of baking soda, put that inside the cabinet and covered it with a large garbage bag.. took a couple months , but - it cured it..

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 12:36 am 

What have you done to it? Have you thoroughly cleaned it? I would think taking all the circuit boards outside, holding them vertically, and spraying them down with a river of parts cleaner might help. Something like MG Chemicals "Super Wash." The cleaner will probably run off it as a brown sludge. Let it dry out overnight before reassembling or powering it on.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MG ... 1bUr7mo%3d

And clean the cabinet thoroughly too...

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 12:56 am 

You can supposedly buy 99% isop from Walmart, you might have to order it sent to the store, though. Spray cleaner of any sort will run into alot of money to clean with in such a large application. I have found Windex and isop to be fairly effective in removing residue, I don't recall odor, but probably related. Just being aware Windex will maybe remove weakly attached markings, like tube stamped numbers and some kinds of painted markings on dials and stuff. Alky on the electronics, Windex or other such on the rest of the parts, maybe. ON wood, I dunno, maybe some kind of wood finish cleaner, or even Gojo. I am not overly sensitive to such smells, I don't turn green and faint, or something, but then again, I smoke a pipe. Not while working on stuff. A little odor would not be sufficient for me to trash a vintage tube Fisher component. Especially without making some effort to reduce it.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 1:51 am 

They say ozone will remove tobacco odor in a house.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Sep Sun 16, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 1:58 am 

Find a cardboard box that it much larger than the unit, fill the box halfway with shredded newsprint (has to be newsprint: glossy magazine paper won't work), put in the unit, and fill the rest of the space in the box with more shredded newsprint. Seal the box tightly with carton tape. Store the box in a cool dry place for a couple of weeks. At the end of that time, open the box and check the "odiferousness" of the set; it should be much improved. If some odor still lingers, discard the old newsprint and repeat the procedure.

If the unit has been exposed to tobacco smoke to the point where the case is visibly yellowed (as might be the situation if the radio spent most of its life in a bar) it's advisable to wipe down the exterior surfaces with Windex and Formula 409 before attempting the "sealed box" cure.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 2:35 am 

I have a smelly Zenith console in my garage that smells like mildew. I have kept it out there for over 2 years thinking the smell would air out but it hasn't.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 2:58 am 

I had a wood radio case that smelled like dead mice. I left it set for a long time in the garage. Finally tossed it. I would rather it smelled like cigars than rotted mice any day. There is a product called Odorxit I think, that is supposed to work on stuff like mildew and smoke and pet odors.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 3:01 am 

Check out the "Eliminator" line, here. https://www.odorxit.com/shop-now-odorxi ... Eliminator

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 5:37 am 

A neighbor and family friend gave me a Bell 3030 years ago. They were all very nice people, but every person in that house was a chain smoker. The amp was literally coated in yellow tar and nicotine. I don't remember what I cleaned it with, but when all was cleaned it looked spanking new. All that crap had coated and preserved everything from any possibility of corrosion. I smoked at the time so I probably didn't smell it like I would now and I sold it years ago....before I quit in '96.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 5:42 am 

Nuke wrote:
I have a smelly Zenith console in my garage that smells like mildew. I have kept it out there for over 2 years thinking the smell would air out but it hasn't.

Strong hydrogen peroxide might cure it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Storm-System-Step-1-Clean-1-gal-Mold-and-Mildew-Hydrogen-Peroxide-Cleaner-69002XX-1/205672448

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 10:21 am 

Try using unused coffee grains for a few weeks. Place a few open containers within the cabinet.
My wife has used this method to great success.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 12:33 pm 

For mildew and fungus, expose the amp to summer sun for a few days. Cover any plastic parts like dials, etc. to prevent heat damage to fragile parts. This worked for me.
Dennis

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 1:47 pm 

Caig DeNicoIt.®... :)

Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 7:51 pm 

wireless 12 wrote:
Hi to everyone, last year I bought a fisher 180 amplifier from a neighbor. The thing just reeks of tobacco smoke smell.
its so bad that I don't want to use it. If I put it on the auction site it would probably be returned. Whats the best bet, pull the knobs and sell them and dump the rest? I would appreciate any suggestions

If you don't want to deal with the "smell", put it on ebay and, in your description, that it smells badly of tobacco smoke. There are probably lots of people in this world that the smell does not or will not bother them. Actually, I'm even one of those people. :D

But, cat urine smell in a piece of operating equipment does annoy me! :(

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 9:08 pm 

Formula 409 or similar water based spray cleaner

Hot running water.

A day in summer sunshine or a warm oven.

Use common sense, don't get things like paper speakers wet.

Rege

PostPosted: Sep Sun 16, 2018 10:04 pm 

Simple Green! I buy this by the gallon (just under 10 bucks), pour it into my spray bottle and it lasts a LONG time. When I purchase a chain smoker's piece of equipment, I typically disassemble it, spray everything down with Simple Green, give it a few minutes, watch the brown gunk fall off, rinse well and done. Nasty cig odor replaced with citrus, pine or fresh scent.

Sometimes, for really thick buildup, I'll use a bristle paint brush (typically nylon) to agitate it across complex shapes, grooves, recesses, etc. This stuff is highly effective on all kinds of gunk. You can dilute it with water, but you'll almost certainly want the full concentration for the application in question.

Simple Green is one of very few effective cleaners I've found that won't harm most delicate label paint on components, etc. However, it WILL remove various INKS, so you have to be careful what you use it on. As always, test whatever product you buy on an inconspicuous area first.
It's also non-toxic, so you can use it as often and as much of it as you want w/o special ventilation concerns or gloves, etc. That said, if you spray it all day, your eyes may get a bit irritated and if you handle it all day, your hands may dry out.
Also, you'll want to use the basic multi-purpose version — they make it for many different surfaces. They make an aluminum-friendly version, but unless you let the standard product sit on the metal for a day or so, it won't harm the metal. Rinse it off as soon as it's eaten away the gunk and it'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 3:12 am 

I use L.A.'s Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store. It's amazing stuff that will take anything off of anything. I use it straight on heavy gunk, but test on an inconspicuous area first, follow the dilution chart if you're not sure and use gloves if you have sensitive skin. It WILL take the gloss off of Bakelite if used straight, as well as softening any paint (Don't ask me how I know that! :shock: ) so unless the scum is heavy and you plan to polish it out / repaint anyway, be careful, don't use it full tilt. It does take nicotine and it's smell away very well.

Attachments:
pdgc1-10603697enh500.jpg
pdgc1-10603697enh500.jpg [ 19.46 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 3:24 am 

Rege Briney wrote:
Formula 409 or similar water based spray cleaner. Hot running water. A day in summer sunshine or a warm oven.
Vin Tageman wrote:
Simple Green! ... When I purchase a chain smoker's piece of equipment, I typically disassemble it, spray everything down with Simple Green, give it a few minutes, watch the brown gunk fall off, rinse well and done.
andyjon100 wrote:
I use L.A.'s Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store. It's amazing stuff that will take anything off of anything.

You guys are saying that you spray these water-based detergents on circuit boards, capacitors, transistors, and IC chips? And then you rinse the boards with water? I'm surprised by that.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/elac_the_fisher_180.html

-Rodney

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 6:46 am 

I once found a good buy on a short wave receiver at a flea market and found one of these inside it: