Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 8:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: what to do with a heavy tobacco smelled stereo
PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 4:56 pm 

Old Ham radio trick. A lot of hams smoked. Place radio in a sealed bag of linseed for a week. Reported to remove tobacco smoke smell.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 5:47 pm 

You can wash almost anything if you are fast enough. I've saturated radios, TV's with 409, wait about 10 minutes, 409 again and then hit them with the garden hose. Next comes compressed air and a blanket of hot air for several hours, or more. If you're lucky enough to live in the SW all the better with that hot sun. Naturally you protect cones and use some tape to seal off IF can holes, etc. When we had the TV shop about once or twice a year we'd get a set from a dealer that may only be a few weeks old that was so bad that it when from our truck to the alley out back before it came into the shop. Granted, we were equipped for the job with a large furnace blower assembly so the drying part was not too much of a hassle. Check out some of the R-390 pages and you'll find plenty of clean up ideas. Yes, you may loose labels and some markings but it won't smell. Wafer tube sockets demand special care.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 8:49 pm 

Quote:

You guys are saying that you spray these water-based detergents on circuit boards, capacitors, transistors, and IC chips? And then you rinse the boards with water? I'm surprised by that.

No, as far as the Totally Awesome, I use it on cabinets, on stripped down chassis, in my ultrasonic cleaner with small parts....I don't work much with PC boards, but when I do, I use iso. alcohol, elect contact cleaner, and, actually, I have used the Awesome on cotton swabs or an acid brush or toothbrush for smaller areas on boards, blot dry, followed by some iso alcohol to displace any moisture, blot again, a few puffs of compressed air if anything migrated under anything else, allow to dry thoroughly before powering up. You don't go at it like a cro - magnon and saturate things, you control where it goes as much as possible, using small amounts. You'd be amazed how well it works for tough things like mouse leavings.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 10:26 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:
Vin Tageman wrote:
Simple Green! ... When I purchase a chain smoker's piece of equipment, I typically disassemble it, spray everything down with Simple Green, give it a few minutes, watch the brown gunk fall off, rinse well and done.

You guys are saying that you spray these water-based detergents on circuit boards, capacitors, transistors, and IC chips? And then you rinse the boards with water? I'm surprised by that.
-Rodney

Well, "everything" wasn't meant to be taken literally, and I expected the act of drying the cleaned areas would be assumed, but I see I should have elaborated. I was referring to parts that wouldn't be harmed, such as internal chassis/guts, metal panels/cabinets, not wood cabinetry, speaker cones or anything else that would tend to quickly absorb water and be difficult to dry out before damage can occur.

Semi's are completely sealed and won't be harmed by Simple Green or water. Their leads are usually tinned and won't begin to oxidize or corrode before drying. Thorough drying prevents potential shorting.

I wouldn't use this method on paper-wax caps. The more modern ones aren't harmed.

While paper phenolic (FR-1/2/3) PCB's can be damaged by water, I haven't had bad luck with them, as I don't leave them soaking, and they're mostly resin anyway. I get in (clean) and get out (dry) quickly. Glass-epoxy (FR-4) boards are of course immune to water and most light-to-moderate cleaning agents.

Incidentally, Simple Green also works wonders on plastic parts such as gears and switch components. I do soak those and, agitating for 10-15 seconds every minute or so, after several minutes the old grease is gone, squeaky clean. Then I stir them around in 91% alcohol (much cheaper than 99% and works just fine) to be sure all residue of Simple Green is gone, then let 'em dry and relube. I've found an alcohol bath doesn't remove all of the caked up, decades old grease, but the Simple Green does.
I have yet to see embrittlement, hazing or crazing of plastics from Simple Green — that isn't to say it's impossible, just that it hasn't happened to me. Some cleaners are, of course, a no-no for plastics. I don't recall the last time I tried it on Bakelite, though, so one might want to test it on a discarded piece first.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2018 11:48 pm 

Yes on the water.

I used to wash circuit cards in a ordinary household dishwasher to remove the flux after soldering them.

Done hundreds and hundreds,

And de-nicotined many TV's and stereos with a spray bottle when I did consumer electronics. I've also used The orange cleaner, it does smell nice.

Soap and water also clean all sorts of food and drink spills off equipment.

Here's a link to the kester solution I used in the dishwasher, we even used one of those hanging things that prevent water spots :)

https://www.kester.com/products/product/5768-cleaner

Rege

PostPosted: Sep Tue 18, 2018 12:13 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/elac_the_fisher_180.html

-Rodney

Sure. Some folks here even take stuff to the car wash and blast it. I wouldn't go that far but I have used water based products on electronics many times. I always rinse off with distilled water and then dry thoroughly. Make sure not to get speakers wet and I'll tape off anything I don't want to get hit directly. I have used Simple Green and the stuff works really well.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2018 3:39 am 

that fisher is one of the first japanese built ones. its not a big collectors item but still cool in its own rite. i've had real good luck removing nicotine with creme mechanics hand cleaner (not the grit stuff). wipe on, wipe off with clean terry cloth towel. it will then smell like auto mechanic for a few days but that goes away.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2018 1:06 pm 

A friend of mine asked me to look at her VCR. I knew that she had a ton of cats. One had urinated on the machine. It ran inside and settled on the circuit board. One signal diode lead literall corroded in half. I cleaned the board with Lime-A-Way and flushed with water. When dry, I replaced the diode (didn’t know what it was, no schematic) with a generic diode. It worked! I was a hero (I was lucky :wink: ).