Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 7:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Berlant Concertone R2R Question
PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 12:46 am 

There's one at a local thrift shop. It's a suitcase "portable" (about as "portable" as a Volkswagen with a handle on top) It weighs a metric ton! Cosmetically it's pretty decent - the case is a bit dirty, but the cloth isn't shredded, some surface rust on the case hardware and the hammertone is nice), but is missing the tensioner on the left side. Dunno if it powers up or not. I'm thinking about it, but haven't pulled the trigger because I don't know anything about it. Can anyone enlighten me? What model is it? A TWD1? I didn't see any model identification on it... *Please note* I have NO idea why it turned out blue in the last pic :shock: (I'm using a new phone), but it it actually a bronze /coppertone hammered finish! I don't really do too much (if anything at all) with R2R, but it might go nicely with my dad's old Ampro R2R with matching speaker....

Attachments:
IMG_20180920_144610.jpg
IMG_20180920_144610.jpg [ 76.54 KiB | Viewed 1308 times ]
IMG_20180920_144616.jpg
IMG_20180920_144616.jpg [ 41.92 KiB | Viewed 1308 times ]
IMG_20180920_144700.jpg
IMG_20180920_144700.jpg [ 122.42 KiB | Viewed 1308 times ]

Post subject: Re: Berlant Concertone R2R Question
PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 2:22 am 

IMHO--Unless you really want it, I tend to stay away from tape recorders of this era (and later ones for the most part)...Usually they have multiple problems and rarely work perfect as is..let alone getting parts for one. Good for a visual effect though.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 4:08 am 

Berlant (Concertone) made excellent semi-pro quality tape recorders but here you only have the tape transport without the electronic Rec/PB preamp unit which was mounted in a second separate carrying case. As shown the recorder is incomplete and a useless (and worthless) piece of junk. The most valuable part was the (tubed) preamp unit which are still in demand for studio use. The tape transport is a 3 motor drive without any belts or rubber parts subject to detrioration and is usually restorable but finding the missing tape tension arm would be a real challenge. I would let it pass unless you can get it really cheap, then you can part it out and sell the various parts separately on the auction site. With the preamp unit I would grab it if the price is fair. (Under 150€)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 4:09 am 

That's only the transport. There is a separate case with the record and reproduce amplifiers. If you don't have that the transport is pretty much useless.

-David

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 5:56 am 

Thanks for the info! Another big useless R2R is the LAST thing I need... I thought it was kinda cool looking, though. I saw the drive motors in it are HUGE. I would consider it, if I knew there was a market for the parts, I guess... They have it marked $29.96, and it's been there for a few weeks already. Maybe for a 10 spot?... :)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 2:49 pm 

At 10$ you can't lose money if you are prepared to spend some time to neatly part it out and selling the parts separately on the auction site. There's definitely a (small) market for vintage high quality recorders spare parts and Berlant was (is) a well respected brand with some followers/collectors.

The most valuable parts usually sells for (average prices):

Two "vintage" reel hold hubs: 20 to 50$/pair
Empty case (with cover): 20 to 50$
Head block assy: 25 to 35$ (more if it is a stereo version)
Capstan motor unit with flywheel: 35$
Reel motors: 15-20$
Knobs & small mechanical parts lot: 10$ to.... ?
Capstan rubber pinch roller (if in good condition and not hardened or melted): 5 to 15$

Or if you like the looks and have enough space you may decide to keep it "as is" as a display piece.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 9:11 pm 

it's gonna sit... Until they get 2 strong guys to heave it over into the dumpster! :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Wed 03, 2018 5:58 pm 

I'd say go for it.

Perhaps you could get a 1/4 track stereo head stack from another reel to reel and make it fit for playback only given the transport is three motor. Then a tube or solid state preamp couldbe built and it could conenct to your stereo, but if you have a stereo with a tape head input (some Scott amps had them) then you can use it as is with a stereo head.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 4:05 pm 

A *lot* of stereo (and mono) receivers and preamps had tape head inputs, Heathkit, Knightkit, Pilot, Scott, to name a few. You'd need a good shielded audio cable, but I wouldn't let lack of an amp stop you, as long as you can record tapes on another machine or buy them pre-recorded. That's not to say that you should go for it, just that it can be used without the separate record/reproduce amplifiers if you so desire.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 6:18 pm 

I think that some of the early integrated amps also had tape head inputs. The Berlant Concertone equipment was very expensive in its day, and the build quality should be excellent. I would at least check the condition of the heads, as finding replacements could be difficult.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 6:35 pm 

If it is a 1/2 track mono unit it would eb good for playing any 1/2 track mono tapes you might have.

If it is a 1/2 track stereo unit it might work for 1/2 track mono tapes plus you'd have 1/2 track stereo capability.

If you don't have a stereo with tape head input you could build a preamp using solid state and the proper EQ so thta it could then be plugged into anything.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 10:09 pm 

Most of these were full-track.

-David

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2018 7:13 am 

Three motor 1/4 inch tape decks were the only way to attain constant tape tension
throughout the whole spool.

That was nice if your tape was destined to be sent to a vinyl manufacturer, for
a limited quantity of records.

Imagine how angry the impresario would be when their cartons arrived and the pitch was off
on certain cuts.

I was a minor part (carried the gear) of an outfit that traveled around recording groups
using rented microphones and an Ampex. We did own one RCA 44 mike.

It flew on prepaid orders.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca