Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 2:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Google Chromecast audio (line level) to ceramic phono input?
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:53 pm 

Hi all,

Having basically (nearly, sort of) finished my Loewe Opta 781W restoration, I'm back to getting audio into the TA (ceramic phono) input.

I've made a stereo to mono summing 'circuit' (a few resistors), and it works fine. Stereo songs play well in mono. I've tried various values for the resistors without a huge change (to my ears).

But I'm confused by the volume level.

The Chromecast audio is meant to be line-level.

The TA input on the radio is for ceramic inputs which should be similar (roughly, I've read it can vary a fair bit).

But I have to turn the volume up full on my phone (streaming spotify from it to the chromecast) and then the volume on the radio quite a lot higher than the radio itself would be. I'd like to get them balanced.

I thought it would be the other way around (ie that the chromecast would be a bit too loud and I'd need to attenuate it).

Someone has done a study of the chromecast audio here and has some impedance and voltage readings - http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/m ... audio.html

It feels to me I need to increase the level by double, or maybe 3 times. Does that sound correct or is something wrong with the radio/phono input?

Any thoughts on a circuit?

Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Google Chromecast audio (line level) to ceramic phono in
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 8:36 pm 

Sorry, I've got this subject over here now - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=360922&p=3046143#p3046143

Thinking about it, my radio level is very high. I only have to turn the volume pot slightly to get a loud output. So it suggests it's not the phono input that is low (I thought the line-level should be ok directly) - but actually the radio that is too loud.

Probably best to move discussion there as it now seems to be a fault with the radio rather than a general question. Thanks.