Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 6:00 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Fri 02, 2018 12:22 am 
New Member

Joined: Oct Mon 08, 2018 12:06 am
Posts: 19
Does anyone out there have info and/or opinions of the PENNCREST Model #7768A-47?
I found an ad for one. The guy wants $50 bucks for it down from $100. I don’t know if it works. Looks like it has been treated well. What year would these have been made and/or is it tube driven or solid state? Quality??? And would it be worth $50 to pick it up working or not? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Fri 02, 2018 12:48 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Tue 31, 2012 1:55 am
Posts: 8802
Location: Mountains of Mourne. Ireland.
Howard Sams published a Photofact Set-834 Folder-9 in 1966
https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofac ... msid/834_9

ebay - the entire Set for $9 shipped!
Image
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 4&_sacat=0
Check that Folder nine is present before you pull the trigger.

That's all I know... :)
Greg.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Fri 02, 2018 12:13 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Tue 30, 2010 2:24 am
Posts: 8301
Location: Lehighton, PA.
Penncrest was the house brand of JC Penney. Generally speaking they are not well respected. I've sometimes heard them referred to as Lo-Fi.

Larry

_________________
kb3wbb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Fri 02, 2018 2:38 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Sun 23, 2015 6:01 pm
Posts: 950
Location: South Jersey East of Philly
I would look elsewhere for a 'better' make console. I'm getting a bunch of Magnavox 1960's consoles being offered to me lately, as that generation is downsizing or passed on. Stick with the 'bigger' names, IMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Fri 02, 2018 6:15 pm 
New Member

Joined: Oct Mon 08, 2018 12:06 am
Posts: 19
Thanks for the responses. Like you, Tbirdkid, I’ve seen a lot of be names up for sell. Just bought a Zenith B966. Awesome console. I too have seen a ton of the old Magnavox up for sell cheap. Wish I had a environmentally controlled storage shed lol. I just hadn’t heard anything about PENNCREST and just wanted to get a sense of what more experienced collectors/restorers thought of them. Although I must say PENNCREST does have some beautiful cabinetry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Fri 02, 2018 8:38 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Tue 30, 2010 2:24 am
Posts: 8301
Location: Lehighton, PA.
The flip side of JC Penney's brands was MSC (Modular Stereo Components). Some of the MSC receivers are well above average and if I ever come across one it will come home with me if it's in good condition and the price is right.

Larry

_________________
kb3wbb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Sat 03, 2018 1:59 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Wed 04, 2015 12:26 am
Posts: 880
rocketeer wrote:
The flip side of JC Penney's brands was MSC (Modular Stereo Components). Some of the MSC receivers are well above average and if I ever come across one it will come home with me if it's in good condition and the price is right.

Larry


It's actually MCS and you're right. Most of MCS was actually rebranded Pioneer, Technics and other other highly respected brands. Same build quality, slightly lower price. They were excellent performers.

I have an MCS 3230 (I think that's it) in storage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Sat 03, 2018 7:17 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 2640
Location: Haledon NJ USA
I believe many of Penny's Penncrest stereo consoles were built by Wells-Gardner. In general, I believe they were a step above Sears Silvertone sets of the period. That said, I like Magnavox and Zenith, but of course they also made some bottom-of-the-line stereo consoles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Sat 03, 2018 8:08 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Tue 30, 2010 2:24 am
Posts: 8301
Location: Lehighton, PA.
Artcurus wrote:
rocketeer wrote:
The flip side of JC Penney's brands was MSC (Modular Stereo Components). Some of the MSC receivers are well above average and if I ever come across one it will come home with me if it's in good condition and the price is right.

Larry


It's actually MCS and you're right. Most of MCS was actually rebranded Pioneer, Technics and other other highly respected brands. Same build quality, slightly lower price. They were excellent performers.

I have an MCS 3230 (I think that's it) in storage.

And it's Modular Component Sytems (MCS) not Modular Stereo Components. Man I messed that one up. :oops:
That'll teach me to fact check my memory.

Larry

_________________
kb3wbb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2018 4:50 am 
Member

Joined: Feb Wed 04, 2015 12:26 am
Posts: 880
rocketeer wrote:
Artcurus wrote:
rocketeer wrote:
The flip side of JC Penney's brands was MSC (Modular Stereo Components). Some of the MSC receivers are well above average and if I ever come across one it will come home with me if it's in good condition and the price is right.

Larry


It's actually MCS and you're right. Most of MCS was actually rebranded Pioneer, Technics and other other highly respected brands. Same build quality, slightly lower price. They were excellent performers.

I have an MCS 3230 (I think that's it) in storage.

And it's Modular Component Sytems (MCS) not Modular Stereo Components. Man I messed that one up. :oops:
That'll teach me to fact check my memory.

Larry


No worries and like I said, MCS equipment was amazing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2018 4:30 pm 
Member

Joined: May Sat 06, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 3375
Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
I enjoy this J. C. Penny 8-Track Player. Dates to 1973 and still working.

Bill J.


Attachments:
JC PENNEY 8-TRACK 1703.JPG
JC PENNEY 8-TRACK 1703.JPG [ 213.32 KiB | Viewed 1043 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PENNCREST CONSOLE.
PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2018 10:51 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 8821
Location: Beaver Falls, PA. USA
They had one console which was made by Clairtone, which was pretty good.

_________________
Tim KA3JRT


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pbpix and 5 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB