Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HH Scott Andover console: only faint, static in all modes
PostPosted: Nov Sun 11, 2018 8:34 pm 

Folks: Have an HH Scott Andover (ca 1968?). It produces only very muted static in all modes (AM, FM, TT). Has same symptom through all speaker configurations, to include headphones. Am an absolute novice with AV, but I do have a general background in mechanical, appliance/fixture repair. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. (She is built like a tank!).

Post subject: Re: HH Scott Andover console: only faint, static in all mode
PostPosted: Nov Mon 12, 2018 3:50 pm 

Your experience background could help some, but not enough with this project. Kind of like knowing how to change the fluids, tires, etc. on a car, then trying an engine rebuild. Yours is probably solid state circuits...not a good beginners project. Not sure where you are located...I would try to contact some radio club in the area for help. I'm sure once you tell us where you are, one of us here will figure something out to help.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 12, 2018 5:40 pm 

The chassis will have to be taken out of the cabinet. All switch contacts need to be cleaned and usually the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply need to be replaced. Dead in all settings could be a number of things, so first determine if the audio amp is working by injecting an external signal to the volume control.

There are lots of knowledgeable people here, but we need more info, specifics. I found this one crappy pic so far. :lol:

Attachments:
Scott Andover.jpg
Scott Andover.jpg [ 15.83 KiB | Viewed 774 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Tue 13, 2018 6:59 am 

Thank you very much, guys! This provides a solid, honest beginning. And, yes, westcoastjohn; the picture is accurate.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 7:16 pm 

Rotate all the switches and controls 10 or 12 times. Do the same to any rocker or slide switches, especially the tape monitor switch. Do so with the power off, then try it.
Let us know how you make out.
Repairing consumer audio gear like this paid for college and grad school for me.

Peace,
DrRick

PostPosted: Nov Sat 17, 2018 4:25 am 

Thank you very much, Dr Rick. Although the protocol did not work, I very much appreciate your input - this is really a great community of fellow problem solvers. I am enjoying the process.